MVM,
join:2004-01-20
Chicago, IL

1 edit

Riss_Centaur to maascj

MVM,

to maascj

(topic move) Westell Versalink 327W: Port Forwarding

Please folks, if you are having the same problem as another poster, do not add on to their old thread, but start your own. They are much easier to pick out that way. Thanks!
-Riss

Moderator Action
The post that was here, and all followups to it, were moved to a new topic .. »Westell Versalink 327W: Port Forwarding
Mark7thH
join:2005-08-13
Petersburg, IN

Mark7thH to maascj

to maascj

Re: Westell Versalink 327W: Port Forwarding

You need to setup a Single Static IP and direct it to the HTTP server.

I also found that Verizon has problems with letting people use port 80, which they'll say they don't, but anywho...

I now use port: 591 and no one is now having problems. Some local ISPs wouldn't allow their users to access ports 80 or even 8080. I went with 591 & everything now works.

I'm also using the no-ip.com as Verizon doesn't give static IPs to non commercial users. What a crock...

CrunchDMPC
@east.verizon.ne

CrunchDMPC to maascj

Anon

to maascj
Okay. I never had much luck either with the Westell 327W and the port forwarding. My reason for purchasing it was several fold: 1) I wanted to network my son's computer so we could play Unreal Tournament together, 2) I wanted to host a dedicated server, so my friends and their kids could play together, 3) I wanted to be able to share support files, etc. with my son's computer, and 4) I was too lazy to wire up all of the PCs to a switch. 8D

After spending about 12 hours running port tests, resetting, rebooting, releasing and renewing, I finally decided to contact Verizon (since I bought this lovely router from them for $49.95). After having me reset the router (like I never did THAT at all myself), reloading my account info., and restablishing my WAN connection (wow), I threw caution to the wind and asked about port forwarding. The response was something like this, "I'm sorry sir...this particular model does not support that option." So there you have it...12 hours down the drain. Okay...so NOW what? Here's MY solution.

1) I set up the router for a static NAT
2) (let the router reboot)
3) cmd (to get into command mode
4) type: ipconfig /release (to release network settings)
5) type: ipconfig /renew (to rebuild network settings)
6) type: ipconfig /all (to review the new settings)

You should see your WAN (ISP) ip, subnet, gateway, etc. on your network card. This allowed for ip passthrough and allowed me to host the Unreal Tournament (and direct desktop into my PC from my office).

Okay...to solve the file-sharing between the PCs and my laptop, when I bring it home, I dumped another 10/100 network card ($15) into my PC and plugged it into the 327W. The primary network card (onboard) now has my WAN ip (Veizon DSL) and the second network card has a DHCP private LAN ip, provided by the 327W. Now that my son's PC, my PC and laptop are on the same network ip scheme, subnet and gateway (via DHCP from the 327W), I can share files between all the PCs.

Trust me folks. Save yourself the grief and invest the $15 and get another network card and set this $49.95 piece-o-junk to "static ip" and get on with life. 8D Cheers!
CrunchDMPC

CrunchDMPC to maascj

Anon

to maascj
Yikes!! I set the router for STATIC IP (not Static NAT). Sorry about the typo. I certainly would not want to be responsible for fistfuls of hair. 8/
Matrix100
join:2005-04-02
Gloucester, MA

Matrix100 to maascj

to maascj
Hi All, I am a newbie to port forwarding and have been trying to configure my versalink 327w to open ports for my D-Link dcs 900w. The cam can be seen within the network but not out of the network.

Does anybody know how to do what I want. D-Link has directions on what ports to open but I can't figure out how to do it on my 327w.

If port 80 is blocked by Verizon like some have said, what do I do then?

Thank you, Matt

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Matrix100:

If port 80 is blocked by Verizon like some have said, what do I do then?
It is in your area of DSL service (exBellAtlantic) so you will need to run your webserver on another port such as 8080 or 8181 or even 81. Then you can open up that port on the Westell and forward it to the computer running the webserver.

Livewire90210
@gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon

Livewire90210 to maascj

Anon

to maascj
eh, just solved my own wrestling match with the router. lord only knows who the heck turned on the windows firewall, but that appears to be what was causing all kinds of havoc.

if you're having issues, either configure your windows firewall, or use another firewall program and turn wf off(i use sygate, and i like the way it works, fairly easy to configure)