All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
speedeep
join:2003-03-09
Montgomery, AL

speedeep

Knology switched from 69.* to 24.* with no notice!

I came home today to discover that my IP address on my connection (the one I'm paying more than twice the residential rate to have a static IP) had changed to a completely new IP Address (from 69.1.x.x to 24.214.x.x)

All my websites are down, mail, DNS, everything because I believed that by paying for a STATIC IP address from Knology I might actually get and keep one. I'm in the process of straightening everything up but with my DNS record TTL set to 24 hours, it may be as long as 24 hours before everything works again.

This could have been a near painless thing if Knology had taken the time to notify their customers, especially their business customers who have Static IPs, that they would be renumbering their networks and to expect the change. Instead, in what is now seeming like typical Knology fashion, the change is made, fallout happens, and support is clueless to help/assist/inform.

The records for smtp.knology.net, dns1.knology.net, dns2.knology.net are all properly set to the new 24.* IP addresses, but nobody bothered to tell the customers, not even on the website Knology has setup to notify users about network work/outages has any information about this on it:
»home.knology.net/support ··· atus.cfm

To recap the story, I'm a computer hobbyist (read 'geek'.) I work with computers, I play with computers. I run my own DNS, web, mail from home. On my residential connection. With a (technically) dynamic IP address, that never changed in the 2+ years I've been with Knology. About two months ago, Knology started blocking incoming (INCOMING!) SMTP traffic to my IP address, stranding me without my e-mail for approximately 2 weeks. I fought with support trying to get an straight answer as to what was happening. Finally, after approximately 20 calls to support I got a straight answer. Knology was blocking the port, even though there is no technological (or anti-spam, or security) reason to do that.

The only fix, it turned out, was to upgrade to business service. To my residential address. So I could have this 1 port unblocked. A pain, but not a big deal. I now pay more than twice the base residential rate to have a business connection and static IP for my "hobby". Getting to be a bigger deal. Turns out I get the same level of service, THE SAME IP ADDRESS (now supposedly statically assigned to me) and the ONLY DIFFERENCE is that incoming traffic to port 25 is no longer blocked. Basic residential: ~$33/mo. My bill now: ~$71/mo. (Remember the only difference is that port 25 incoming is not blocked.) If that doesn't sound like a shake down, I don't know what does.

Now, less than two months later, my supposed STATIC IP address (extra $15/mo.) changes out of the blue. No warning, no coordination, nothing. If you are a business considering Knology for your ISP, please read this story carefully. Don't expect more than the level of service I've experienced.

See also:
»Knology (Newly) Blocking Ports 25 and 110
bfrye
join:2002-03-12
West Point, GA

bfrye

Please send me your account information(name,address), there are procedures in place to inform the customers of these moves. There were no migrations in Montgomery,AL so your IP should have not changed. I would like to make sure that you are provisioned in the systems correctly.

Thanks,

-cbf

Cop
Premium Member
join:2001-09-05
Auburn, AL

Cop

Premium Member

Yep, Noticed the change here.