how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

STN

join:2004-12-29
Canada

Aliant To Launch IP Television

ALIANT TO LAUNCH IP TELEVISION: Aliant plans to launch Internet-based TV service in Halifax in the second quarter, and will spend $40 million over the next three years to develop the service. A trial using a 10 Mbps Internet link began in Halifax this month.

Leathal
Premium
join:2002-02-09
canada
kudos:2
It's about time they finally start getting back on the ball again.. Seesh!

Leathal

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
reply to STN
yea i read thier outlook for this year.also doing fibre to the home trials in halifax too.wish i lived there

chriskay
Premium
join:2004-03-09
Toronto, ON
reply to STN
Didn't they have this before? Well at least in New Brunswick, before they all merged, NBTel had VibeVision. It was pretty cool for the time, but they eventually cut it off I think about 2001.

-Chris

STN

join:2004-12-29
Canada
Yes, it got scrapped. Not sure when.

Newfie

join:2001-05-08
Toronto, ON
reply to STN
Had this in parts of St. John's before too. Scrapped it during the Aliant merge again.

lawrence171
Evilly Yours - Evilness

join:2001-12-24
Canada
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to STN
Why is Bell behind in this? So strange.

Their satellites are running out of bandwidth quick. Since their equipments are MPEG 2 compliant ONLY, they cannot move to MPEG 4 format without huge costs (ie. replacing everyone's receivers). Try launching more new channels... and bam... degraded quality.
--
What I used to be I no longer am... God, why can't you freeze time for my sake?

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to STN
that is why bell doesn't have an HDPVR...the current offerings are not MPEG-4 compatible.
--
"The only thing more greedy than a corporation, are its customers."

00xy

@avalonworks.net
reply to STN
Bell's quality has gone down the hole in the last few years and the prices have gone up. They can't seem to settle on a pricing structure either. It's sad when you can download videos off the internet that are cleaner and a lot more crisp. IP Television sounds awesome. I'd trade my tv bandwidth for more of that 10mbit pipe.