All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
themafia_69
join:2003-08-04

themafia_69

high speed in Montreal

hey guys, im moving to montreal for college, and i was wondering whats the fastest highspeed internet availible for home use? thanks

TilhasBB
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
canada

1 edit

TilhasBB

Premium Member

Do you have a budget?

Thanh
join:2001-09-25
Pierrefonds, QC
·gemstelecom

Thanh to themafia_69

to themafia_69
You basically have to choose between cable or ADSL. Cable is faster but it's monopoly (videotron) so you can't choose who you do business with. With ADSL, it's marginally slower but you can choose the ISP that you want based on your criterias. Keep in mind that the actual phone line is also a monopoly (Bell Canada).

Corvus
Flaming Tards Since 2003
Premium Member
join:2003-11-26

Corvus to themafia_69

Premium Member

to themafia_69
said by themafia_69:

hey guys, im moving to montreal for college, and i was wondering whats the fastest highspeed internet availible for home use? thanks
Fastest = Videotron Extreme package 6.5Mbps/900Kbps
»www.videotron.com/servic ··· /6_3.jsp

IIgs
Premium Member
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC

IIgs to themafia_69

Premium Member

to themafia_69
I'd stay far, far away from Videotron. The company is a nightmare to deal with, and beyond that, they have a bandwidth cap and much more expensive.

With DSL you have a choice of several different providers, with all sorts of frills thrown in the package. For example, I'm paying $32.05 Canadian (after taxes) per month and that includes access to Giganews.

The speed gap isn't as wide as it once was. You can get up to 4 MBit with DSL.

Corvus
Flaming Tards Since 2003
Premium Member

Corvus

Premium Member

This guy is asking for speed, Videotron is the fastest if he don't care about price.

For the soft cap on Extreme I haven't heard any complaint on the Videotron forum since last year, I think it's gone, there's also a rumor about the end of cap on standard package.

Then for the company itself it's definitively better than it was during and first months after the strike. There's also a "special" support if you've got serious problems with the access and I can assist anyone non-officially and in worse case officially to solve problems.
nyt2
join:2003-02-20
france

nyt2 to IIgs

to IIgs
There's no cap on the 6.5mbit package, and it's still twice as fast as the 3.5mbit DSL provides (if you're lucky to be close enough to the dslam). And Videotron got much nicer to deal with in the last year (i.e no more modem renting fees, a decent antispam/webmail, consistent speed 24/7).
And your ISP is now 34.95$+tx and should bill TVQ given their business volume there

XoX
join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada

2 edits

XoX to IIgs

to IIgs
said by IIgs:

I'd stay far, far away from Videotron. The company is a nightmare to deal with, and beyond that, they have a bandwidth cap and much more expensive.

With DSL you have a choice of several different providers, with all sorts of frills thrown in the package. For example, I'm paying $32.05 Canadian (after taxes) per month and that includes access to Giganews.

The speed gap isn't as wide as it once was. You can get up to 4 MBit with DSL.
Geez... talk about a biased customer.... But kept your little 3,3 Mbps you might get if you have a good line and quite close to the CO and I will kept my 6 Mbps I have... See you in the dust somewhere...

Lots of DSL ISP yes but they all go trough the same company at first and you know what... Bell suck...

Vntalk
@qc.sympatico.ca

Vntalk to IIgs

Anon

to IIgs
quote:
For example, I'm paying $32.05 Canadian (after taxes) per month and that includes access to Giganews.
Humm what do u use ?? giganews includes ???

Corvus
Flaming Tards Since 2003
Premium Member

Corvus

Premium Member

said by Vntalk:

Humm what do u use ?? giganews includes ???
He's on Golden but be aware, they are throttling P2P and experiencing problems: »Who else is thinking of leaving Golden.net?

I recommend IGS if you want DSL:
»IGS Free Trial Jan27 (Slow speeds? Debug'em free!