Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to vonsen

Premium Member

to vonsen

Re: Skype is nothing but hype...

said by vonsen:

You can't blame a dog for not being a cat. If you don't like it, don't use it.
Every once in awhile, someone cuts "right to the heart of the matter'.

I think that is the end of this thread...!

Elcabong
Cuba SI, Castro NO
join:2000-03-09
Philadelphia, PA

Elcabong to Simmer911

to Simmer911
HAve'nt any of you heard of FreeWorlddialup.com? Or Pulver.com? It offers the same thing and is compatible with skype
juanfermin
join:2004-10-18
Pompano Beach, FL

juanfermin to craigsn

to craigsn
You must be joking about MSN being better quality.. let's see communications that go through MS servers, VS communications that go direct from my computer to the person who I'm calling. Which do you think would be better?
Test99
Premium Member
join:2003-04-24
San Jose, CA

Test99 to Elcabong

Premium Member

to Elcabong
said by Elcabong:

HAve'nt any of you heard of FreeWorlddialup.com? Or Pulver.com? It offers the same thing and is compatible with skype
Sure we have heard of FWD. I don't propose it as a solution anymore because it is down too often. And at least for non-technical people, Skype seems to be easier to set up.

FWD and Skype compatible? I don't think so, unless you are reporting breaking news. Skype is not SIP-compatible.

sgarrand
Insert Witty Phrase Here
Premium Member
join:2000-04-13
West Brookfield, MA

sgarrand

Premium Member

They are compatible in the sense that the Pulver Communicator and Skype allow IMing between each other. As of right now it's not a voice connection.

Scott
craigsn
join:2004-08-16
Kent, WA

craigsn to juanfermin

to juanfermin
Well, it is for me. Maybe not you though.

vonsen
Just Because
Premium Member
join:2005-01-06

vonsen to Simmer911

Premium Member

to Simmer911

Re: Is wireless possible with voip?

The thread that wouldn't die

--
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
Jonbo298
join:2004-01-12
Council Bluffs, IA

1 edit

Jonbo298

Free INTERNET Telephony. Catch those key words there? No where does it say Free Phone Calls (as your not using a phone to call someone )

TekWiz
@optonline.net

TekWiz to Simmer911

Anon

to Simmer911

Well, I was previously pretty fascinated by these "Internet Calling" programs, but after getting SunRocket today, at $199 unlimited calling for the year, and hearing the quality being superior to my Verizon POTS, I don't see much value in these programs, except for calling people overseas who are also online, and even then, the SunRocket international prices and the $3 free per month, even make that kind of questionable... Talking on the phone has finally reached the next century...

TELCOS--Better hurry up and get those fiber optics to your customers or you'll be outta business in favor of the cable co.'s

Tek.

Simmer911
Premium Member
join:2005-01-12
Chelsea, AL

Simmer911 to Jonbo298

Premium Member

to Jonbo298

Re: Is wireless possible with voip?

wow this thread is still going...I had no idea it would cause so a stir...

Birds0
join:2004-10-23

Birds0 to Simmer911

to Simmer911

One thing to keep in mind about Skype is that you are basically lending your bandwidth and computer to all the other Skype users on the net, letting them route their traffic through you.

If you block Skype at certain levels in your personal firewall you will see the firewall log fill up with in-coming connections from around the world. This takes place if you use either IM or VOIP.
z0n3
join:2005-02-02

z0n3 to Simmer911

to Simmer911

Re: Wrong and misleading topic headings!

Skype uses P2P (peer to peer) technology and not VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol). For the user this difference is quickly evident if you try to set up behind a harware firewall / router that uses NAT ( Network address translation). Programs such as MSN Messenger may have considerable problems with audio behind the NAT - Skype on the other hand is quick to set up, has encrypted audio, and excellent sound quality - especially if your sound card is full duplex. It's not a lot of effort to get your friends to install skype (installation is simple enough even for technophobes). All you need other than that is a microphone (better still a combo mic. and headphones and you're hands free) The computer to desktop-phone does cost something but it's peanuts compared to long distance (continent to continent) rates via POTS.
z0n3

z0n3 to Birds0

to Birds0

sorry folks - my last post went out under the wrong subject heading. It was, off course, about Skype
blacksurfer
join:2002-07-14
Sherman Oaks, CA

blacksurfer to Simmer911

to Simmer911
I LOVE SKYPE!!! If you make alot of international calls to your family in far off countries and pay alot per minute, then Skype is a godsend! Other voice chat programs such as MSN were easily blocked by ISPs, but Skype calls go thru, are clear, and are FREE! We talk for hours free to Belize every month!
geister
join:2005-02-02
Beverly Hills, CA

geister to Simmer911

to Simmer911
said by Simmer911:

Well I have seen people talk about some "free" VOIP services online and this is one I have heard a lot about. So I download it and try to make a call. Apparently it is free only to other Skype users but you have to buy credits to call anyone who does not use Skype.
It blatently says it is free internet telephony...well free to other users of thier product I guess....any other so called "free" VOIP services I should try. The first one I went with was what I thought...too good to be true.
Here is a perfect example of "you cannot please everyone!." Skype is free. Software is free and so are the calls using Skype. When was the last time anyone pumped out such a great program at the price they provide it? (WHICH IS FREE) I seriously think that people like Simmer911 should refrain from posting messages at the expense of sounding like and idiot. Skype functions like a communication suite with file transfer, instant messaging and voice communication capabilities. While doing all this, it uses a really strong encryption too. Works from behind firewall with no problems. If you think that is a small feat, please be quiet. Yeah they may charge some money for added functionality. But hey... even programmers gotta eat too!

TekWiz
@optonline.net

TekWiz

Anon

Yeah, anytime someone puts out a great program for free that is really a super-duper wonderful and excellent thing! Skype is a fantastic program, and the fact that so many people love it is proof that it is.

Due to the arrival of free calling with VoIP services in the U.S. the use of Skype here is not such a very big bargain anymore. You can't compete with free calling after all.

International is another story. The VoIP still charge something for international although some countries are very cheap. Still that's not free.

Unfortunately in some countries like South-Africa the dialup/internet rates are so high, that telephony programs are useless because it costs so much for just a local phone call to the ISP.

To open up the world there must be some sort of cheap satellite hookup that anyone can deploy from inside their home .

Tek.
sipcpe
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
Seattle, WA

sipcpe to Simmer911

Premium Member

to Simmer911
What if you had a device that could forward your Skype calls out to your local PSTN? eg and ring your mobile when you are out.

What if you had a GSM/Wifi cell phone with embedded skype client so you could make/receive your skype calls from hotspot while traveling in airports, etc?

What if you had a cordless/skype combo phone so you could roam around the house with your cordless handset and see your skype contacts status on the handset and make and receive your skype and pstn calls from the one cordless handset.

Would any of the above products (all coming soon eg a Vtech USB 7100 in your local Walmart Store $150 with two handsets)change the value propositition for Skype verse Sip softphone?

The point is Skype is doing one thing for sure better than all the SIP softphone companies. They have a free open API for third party hardware developers. Personally I believe all thing equal (voice quality, bandwidth, etc) this alone (open API) may very well drive Skype way ahead of the rest very soon. The Taiwan hardware developers are working overtime developing devices for Skype so you will no longer be tied to your computer to use it. I am afraid the SIP softphone guys have already missed the boat.
tj008
join:2004-06-24
Cincinnati, OH

tj008

These coming-to-a-store-near-you products are very exciting. Any product that gets one away from the computer being on is very important. Thats why im not much into softphones.

Here is the problem with Skype and SIP to some point:

Who among you are trying, dragging, pulling their friends and family to, first of all, get broadband? Then, are they the same family and friends fighting you tooth and nail in getting any form of voip or skype? They question you -why do i have to get this or that box? its pretty expensive. or Skype what?

You can explain FREE only so much until free is not so free - "how much does it cost?" again comes up.

Its nice to see over a million people using skype. but I can bet you that those 1 million people are the same ones that are "up" on anything that is new. Lets see how many people in this world have a computer AND have broadband? I have found that in my circle of friends and family and the next ring of their family and friends, they are not interested until the technology is easy and is available at costco, walmart, target and the like. And then its like they found "manna from heaven".

So, for me, voip is the way to go. saves me money as i talk to the bone-heads of my world! :D

TekWiz
@optonline.net

TekWiz

Anon

What is the dream? To cut out all the "Telcos" completely out of the picture and use P2P telephony exclusively? Will this every happen?

Tek.

vonsen
Just Because
Premium Member

1 edit

vonsen to sipcpe

Premium Member

to sipcpe
said by sipcpe:

What if you had a device that could forward your Skype calls out to your local PSTN? eg and ring your mobile when you are out.
Skype already rings my voip line when there is an incoming skype call. And of course I can make a skype call from my handset, not just the PC, although the latter is really nice when travelling. And I can also access skype or voip from my cell to avoid cellular long distance charges. The hardware is available, just not everyone is aware of it, although with 1.2 million users skype usage is already surpassing vongage + lingo + broadvox + at&t + p8 + VP combined.

Perhaps one of the incumbent commercial voip operators should talk to skype to see if routing skype calls through their pstn gateways, rather than 'skype out' is attractive. That might make skype a bit more mainstream. It wouldn't take much to leverage skype out in front of the other offerings. It'll be interesting to see if it happens.

--
                                                                   six stars shy

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

1 edit

Sly to Simmer911

Premium Member

to Simmer911
WOW! All of these responses and no one mentioned ---> »www.stanaphone.com/

They have free PSTN access as well as free internet calling, plus you can get a free POTS number so that others on LAND systems can call you.
Drew4
join:2004-10-07
Canada

Drew4 to Simmer911

to Simmer911
I just finished a 45 minute Conference Call on Skype, 5 people (Skype imposed limit) Estonia, London, Toronto, San Fran, and San Paulo.

It was crystal clear, almost CD quality sound and cost me in this case $1.00 (.025 x 45min. for the cell), as one of the particpants was on his cell. I was also able to share files in real time, and engage a chat session with all parties while talking. If this isn't free internet telephony then what is? This is easily a 20.00 phone call, probably more. No contracts, no monthlies.

vonsen
Just Because
Premium Member

vonsen to Sly

Premium Member

to Sly
said by Sly:

WOW! All of these responses and no one mentioned ---> »www.
What are you a sales rep or something? This thread isn't about the company that you tried to promote in your post. The thread is about skype.

--
                                                                   six stars shy

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

4 edits

Sly

Premium Member

said by vonsen:

said by Sly:

WOW! All of these responses and no one mentioned ---> »www.
What are you a sales rep or something? This thread isn't about the company that you tried to promote in your post. The thread is about skype.

--
                                                                   six stars shy
Said by original poster...

"any other so called "free" VOIP services I should try. The first one I went with was what I thought...too good to be true."

You really need to shut up and quit pretending to be a mod. [/changed mind about wording] I responded to the original post (unlike others in this thread). I don't work for Stanaphone and if you'd read my review of them you'd see that I don't use them anymore because they lost my account info.

What the heck is wrong with people?!! This is 2 for 2 today of where I've tried to help someone and instead I get some smart-alek response from someone outside the thread.

wazza23
@pacific.net.au

wazza23 to Simmer911

Anon

to Simmer911

average users

Well, Simmer911, tell me which software you WOULD recommend.
Igneous1
join:2001-01-19
Philadelphia, PA

Igneous1 to Drew4

to Drew4

i love to be able to use * with skype

vonsen
Just Because
Premium Member

vonsen

Premium Member

said by Igneous1:

You can. Not natively, since it's not even SIP, but you can still feed the analog voicestream into asterisk, the way you would a POTS line.

--
                                                                   six stars shy
Igneous1
join:2001-01-19
Philadelphia, PA

Igneous1

skype is MGCP isnt it
Test99
Premium Member
join:2003-04-24
San Jose, CA

Test99 to Igneous1

Premium Member

to Igneous1
said by Igneous1:

I have heard that Skype publishes an API. Haven't looked at it though.

roamer1
sticking it out at you
join:2001-03-24
Atlanta, GA

roamer1 to Igneous1

to Igneous1
said by Igneous1:

skype is MGCP isnt it
no...Skype has their own proprietary protocol.

-SC