Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Simmer911
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Chelsea, AL
reply to voiplover

Re: Wrong and misleading topic headings!

Look...what I said in my original post was based on fact. You can only call other users of Skype for free and if you want to call people outside of Skype, then you have to pay for it. I merely offered my opinion on this service. I am sure if you have a lot of friends that use Skype, then it is great to use. But for the average newbie to VOIP it is not something I would reccommend. Most people do not want only a PC to PC solution and would rather use thier traditional phones in thier house as well as being able to use thier home wiring as well to set up thier phone service. Bottom line--for the average new user wanting to look into getting VOIP service; I would not reccommend Skype.
--
»www.talkaboutvoip.com

voiplover
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Portsmouth, NH

1 edit

said by Simmer911:

Look...what I said in my original post was based on fact. You can only call other users of Skype for free and if you want to call people outside of Skype, then you have to pay for it. I merely offered my opinion on this service. I am sure if you have a lot of friends that use Skype, then it is great to use. But for the average newbie to VOIP it is not something I would reccommend. Most people do not want only a PC to PC solution and would rather use thier traditional phones in thier house as well as being able to use thier home wiring as well to set up thier phone service. Bottom line--for the average new user wanting to look into getting VOIP service; I would not reccommend Skype.
Well, I (and probably the developers of skype) would have to agree with what you just posted. Thank you.
Unfortunately, in choosing a Header 'You leaped before you looked'. Please do a little research next time. Skype is not advertised or intended as a voip replacement for Pots. It is called Skype not voip. It is designed for peer to peer communications over the internet. They also offer on a pay per minute basis termination to pots (skype out).
I feel that your header "Skype is nothing but hype..." is misleading and maybe slanderous, and if you had any integrity you would edit it. (At least it rhymed.)
That's my opinion, and not intended to be a flame. I hope you get the point.

Test99
Premium
join:2003-04-24
San Jose, CA
kudos:1

I agree with voiplover. Maybe an analogy would help. It's as if simmer thought he was ordering a puppy. But when he opened the cage, a kitten came out. This is clearly an error condition. simmer's error message was, in effect, "Defective puppy". Some of us believe the error message should have read: "Ordered wrong animal."
--
Welcome to the 21st century. You'll do fine here. Just don't expect anything to work quite the way it is supposed to...

Simmer911
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Chelsea, AL

I would never order a defective puppy...I would have it genetically altered to be absoloutely perfect!! LOL!
--
»www.talkaboutvoip.com

magbayross

join:2005-02-01
Danby, VT
reply to Simmer911

For whatever it's worth...

Yes, Skype is free when calling other Skype users....if you want to call someone on their regular telephone you will pay a fee, a very small fee. I call New Zealand from my Skype account and it cost's me about 7 cents/min...Now, that same call using AT&T or someone else will run 40-50 cents a minute. Dahhhhh....

z0n3

join:2005-02-02
reply to Simmer911

Skype uses P2P (peer to peer) technology and not VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol). For the user this difference is quickly evident if you try to set up behind a harware firewall / router that uses NAT ( Network address translation). Programs such as MSN Messenger may have considerable problems with audio behind the NAT - Skype on the other hand is quick to set up, has encrypted audio, and excellent sound quality - especially if your sound card is full duplex. It's not a lot of effort to get your friends to install skype (installation is simple enough even for technophobes). All you need other than that is a microphone (better still a combo mic. and headphones and you're hands free) The computer to desktop-phone does cost something but it's peanuts compared to long distance (continent to continent) rates via POTS.

wazza23

@pacific.net.au
reply to Simmer911

average users

Well, Simmer911, tell me which software you WOULD recommend.