spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

danny1123

@dsl.snfc21.pacbell.n

[PHONE] RINGS ONLY FOR 1/2 A SECOND!

I'm not sure if this is a problem with DSL. I've been using my SBC DSL for a few years now and never had any problems. Right now, whenever my phone rings, it only rings for half a second. People claim that when they call they get all this static after the phone was picked up. I tried unplugging every device from my wall outlets and calling my house phone. It didn't even ring, all I heard was this static. Does anyone know what's going on with my phones or phone lines? I've had DSL for a few years with the same set-up and never had this problem before. The internet is still working fine, it's just that when people call me, I can't answer. I hear my phone ring for half a second and then there's nothing. People on the other end of the line hear static. Thanks for any help in advance.

shadowrose64
Premium
join:2003-11-02
Pittsburg, KS
I noted you said you had unplugged every device, so this probably won't relate...but just in case, do you get the DISH network service through SBC? I had the same exact symptoms when the receiver was hooked to the phone line. Come to think of it, we determined that the faulty remote plug-in phone jack they'd used to connect the receiver was the culprit. Anyway, just a thought.

cfm117

join:2004-02-13
Woodland Hills, CA
reply to danny1123
There is a short on your line somewhere. The short is not hard enough to completely knock out your dialtone but hard enough to make the switch at the C.O. think that someone is picking up the phone, causing the phone to ring only half a ring. Most POTS circuts are loop start, which means when the switch sees a short on the line it will release dialtone. A premature short will have the same effect. DSL is not affected by shorts. If you have a SNI/NID at the side of your house, plug a phone into it and call your line. If it "ring trips" there, the trouble is in the SBC network. If you have the inside wire plan, then dont worry about it. Make sure you make a trouble ticket on the voice side of your line and not the data side.

itsonlydsl2

join:2005-01-08
San Francisco, CA
are you in area code 925?
what youre describing is indicative of exactly what 'cfm117' suggests. there was a cable outage affecting some phone service in the dublin/san ramon area on saturday. and again, as cfm117 tells you, when calling 611 report trouble on the analog side. many times if a end user only uses the number for dsl they go with the data portion to report trouble and that can delay the service restoral by at least a day.

roozy

join:2004-09-30
Casper, WY
reply to cfm117
or a Ring ground.... either tip-ring short or ring-ground can cause your symptoms.... DSL can work thru many dial tone troubles......

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to danny1123
said by danny1123:

I'm not sure if this is a problem with DSL. I've been using my SBC DSL for a few years now and never had any problems. Right now, whenever my phone rings, it only rings for half a second. People claim that when they call they get all this static after the phone was picked up. I tried unplugging every device from my wall outlets and calling my house phone. It didn't even ring, all I heard was this static. Does anyone know what's going on with my phones or phone lines? I've had DSL for a few years with the same set-up and never had this problem before. The internet is still working fine, it's just that when people call me, I can't answer. I hear my phone ring for half a second and then there's nothing. People on the other end of the line hear static. Thanks for any help in advance.
I had a similar problem on the voice circuit last summer. The problem was only evident between about 7:30 P.M. to 7:30 A.M. Guess when they won't roll a truck? It took them 2 1/2 weeks before they sent a cable tech to try and switch us to another pair; but that was ultimately the solution. I did get a new NID and drop out of the deal, though. When I added a POTS splitter at the NID, I also wired up the stations in the house; a second line is now just a pole climb away.
--
Norman
~A deam, dream, no dream
~Voices of the night go across the forest
~A dream, dream, no dream
~Good night my good child

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
reply to danny1123
Plug a single phone with a filter into the NID. Check your symptoms to see if they are the same that way.

cfm117

join:2004-02-13
Woodland Hills, CA
reply to danny1123
You are right. Ring ground slipped my mind. Thanx