uniqs
TeMerc6
join:2004-01-22
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

TeMerc6 to eburger68

to eburger68

Re: ASW Vendors in La-La Land

Its my opinion this topic should remain open if for no other reason than to perhaps other vendors on how not to remove definitions from their database, not to mention, how not to reply\answer the many questions which were not properly nor timely answered.

This is PR 101 lesson at the very least, lets hope other vendors(such as PP in this thread) »Pest Patrol: Claria Temporarily Removed see what good it does to serve their customers, be they people who use the free product or not.

Lets face it, if I was thinking of purchasing AAW SE, and stumbled upon thisd thread, I would opt not to botherbased on the type of feedback which has gone on here.

And I won't even bother getting into the way threads disappear and are closed, thats been talked about enough.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan to B04

MVM

to B04
said by B04:

The last I heard a separate uninstaller was still required, which I personally felt was rather stupid and counterproductive. If it's been added back to the regular detections OR if it's been deemed non-detectable permanently, then I missed the news.

-- B
It's been added back.
»Re: ASW Vendors in La-La Land

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium Member
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA

antiserious to B04

Premium Member

to B04
said by B04:

At some point I'd like to see a final verdict on the WhenU situation, if nothing else. B

... you're waiting for a straight answer from Lavasoft ? ...

... I'm waiting on a pony I asked Santa for, when I was 8 ...

... I replaced my mobo and went to XP pro last week, didn't even consider re-installing AdAware ... hope your 'patience' pays off ... now to stop following this thread ...

Corrine
Premium Member
join:2004-08-27

Corrine to B04

Premium Member

to B04
said by B04:

Believe it or not this little issue isn't very high on my list of priorities.
[. . .]

-- B
Ya coulda' fooled me. Just kidding.

Actually WhenU was re-added to the Def File here: »www.lavasoftsupport.com/ ··· p=397589

Mike Wood posted someplace here at BBR something to the effect that the new Research staff had removed it according to their interpretation of the TAC but had not received approval from Management to do so, not realizing that was policy. All of that has been straightened out internally so the new staff is fully aware of internal procedures.

The good thing that resulted is that the review of the TAC was moved forward six months or so in the schedule and is being built into Build 1.06 which is currently undergoing what I hope is close to the final stages of testing.

Another good thing that resulted is that I got to meet a lot more people. Its been a while so I'm not certan if DP asked me to check it out or if I stumbled on this thread while following up on another Ad-Aware issue. Either way, I'm glad I did.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by Corrine:

Mike Wood posted someplace here at BBR something to the effect that the new Research staff had removed it according to their interpretation of the TAC but had not received approval from Management to do so, not realizing that was policy. All of that has been straightened out internally so the new staff is fully aware of internal procedures.
40 pages into the thread I see the removal of WhenU from the LS definitions being attributed to human error.
That seems to contradict the answer from LS-Mike earlier in this thread »Re: ASW Vendors in La-La Land
Maybe I'm missing something?

Corrine
Premium Member

1 recommendation

Corrine

Premium Member

I'm not sure if it was in this thread or another thread on Lavasoft. I've been so many places lately, it could have been a different forum but I don't believe so. As I recall, Mike was traveling and was not logged in and even got digs for not being registered. (I wondered about that myself and then saw where he subsequently posted and is a premium member.)
Bobby_Peru
Premium Member
join:2003-06-16

1 recommendation

Bobby_Peru to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy
I believe it was here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12665642~mode=flat~start=700;iframe=1#12878003 were Mike Woods, as LS-Mike, finally felt compelled to -
said by LS-Mike:

inject the truth
[Emphasis added] into the maelstrom that LavaSoft's own abysmal behavior directly and foreseably caused. He also said
said by LS-Mike:

At no time has there been any collaboration with any vendor who has had, has, or will have an application included in our database.
Maybe this is just a question of semantics, but, how can you now know for certain what vendor might in the future need detection/removal? After all, much of this is all about "The Good" suspected of going "Bad". And,
said by LS-Mike:

It flies in the face of everything we believe in period. Also (as some have suggested) we have never included legal pressure as a criteria to include or remove content from our data base
Oh, ok.

But let's not forget this gem
said by LS-Mike:

What you fail to realize from your limited view
The point at which any chance of redeeming any shred of credibility was irrevocably destroyed.

As L. Reed once sang, "Stick a fork in their ass and turn them over, they’re done".

I _may_ still include their AdAware in the toolbox, more out of desperation than anything, but would feel very foolish to place any significant trust anymore in the organization, it's products, or what Mike Woods says.

Of course, Corrine, none of this is attributed to you.

fatdcuk
Premium Member
join:2005-02-20
England

1 recommendation

fatdcuk to TeMerc6

Premium Member

to TeMerc6
i absolutely agree with you TeMerc.the mods here at DSL would be doing a diservice to the community as a whole by closing this thread.

it was noticable how CA pest patrol dropped WhenU around the sametime as Lavasoft but soon back tracked when they saw the mess it was causing Lavasoft and tried to capitalise by suddenly reintroducing the WhenU detections.

at least they did'nt blame human error(what a crock of **** from Lavasoft,sorry Lavasoft but it took how long to come up with that brainwave,WTG!).

i don't believe for one moment this was caused by incompetance but more than likely an excecutive decision(as is the case with other more HONEST companies serving this community).

having said that its been good to see the Lavasoft reps doing the rounds in the community forums(great PR,shuting the barn door after the horse had bolted !).

yes,the antispyware companies are living in LaLa land,their listening more to their accountants about profit margin's rather than serving their customer's interest's.

they are forgeting without customers,they're out of business before too long.

do we want them to go out of business ?

absolutely not.

do we want them to stop treating us like fools ?

absolutely!

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

1 recommendation

jmorlan

MVM

said by fatdcuk:

it was noticable how CA pest patrol dropped WhenU around the sametime as Lavasoft but soon back tracked when they saw the mess it was causing Lavasoft and tried to capitalise by suddenly reintroducing the WhenU detections.
I'm not sure any lesson was learned by CA Pest Patrol. They just removed Claria from their definitions because of a complaint from Claria. See:

»Pest Patrol Pulls Claria Detection

fatdcuk
Premium Member
join:2005-02-20
England

1 recommendation

fatdcuk

Premium Member

{quote]I'm not sure any lesson was learned by CA Pest Patrol
it just goes to show how they treat their customer's like fools.like i said it was obvious they reintroduced WhenU to capitalise from the PR nightmare by Lavasoft to pick up new customer's;).
if the lavasoft+WhenU thing had'nt of kicked off then odd's on WhenU would still be delisted by CA pest patrol.

anyway two more La LA points to make

CA pest patrol by announcement of their new review policy have rendered themselves open to the distinct possibility of rendering the tool pest patrol totally ineffectual for periods of time.

if i had purchased pest patrol,i would be hammering down their doors demanding a refund since the software is no longer doing what it was advertised as doing in the first place.

wtg, D'oh!

this is with reguards Lavasoft+WhenU debacle

said by LS-Mike aka Mike Watson of Team Lavasoft
quote:
Also (as some have suggested) we have never included legal pressure as a criteria to include or remove content from our data base
ok mike,i hear you but i don't believe you!
cough*HOTBAR

What about DAP,why is that not on your database?

THE FACT-detections are being reviewed/dropped by ASW vendors as a result of legal action/threatened legal action/anticipated legal action etc

eightball009
8-Ball Strikes Again
Premium Member
join:2003-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA

2 edits

eightball009 to eburger68

Premium Member

to eburger68
Click for full size
A couple of days ago i heard about what lavasoft did. So i ran a search and found this thread. After reading the first 5 pages io decided to run a scan of adaware, spybot, MS and spy sweeper. I always thought that MS was good. This changed my mind. The adaware confirmed it. Its gone. MS might not be to far behind. I let all three scan. I have no deleted anything as of yet. I have also noticed google ads coming up in the forums. Is anyone else getting those?

CajunTek
Insane Cajun
Premium Member
join:2003-08-08
Arlington, TX

1 recommendation

CajunTek

Premium Member

Uh.. MSAS doesn't do cookies... (well documented) But none of the rest will clean up after bube.d either...

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
Pacifica, CA

1 recommendation

jmorlan to eburger68

MVM

to eburger68
Lavasoft just been delisted from the ASAP (Aliance of Security Analysis Professionals):

»forums.maddoktor2.com/in ··· pic=3841

Corrine
Premium Member

1 recommendation

Corrine

Premium Member

Lavasoft Forum

The link to the Lavasoft Support Forums from ASAP was a "dead link". Since there is not a Lavasoft support site to list, there was no alternative but to remove the dead link.

Anyone needing help with Ad-Aware can find assistance at the sites listed in this post: »Lavasoft forum off-line?

It is, after all, those who need help that we are concerned with, not the politics or management.