Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

adarryl
P.A.S.S. Model

join:2001-08-19
Decatur, IL

Outlook Express opens email on single click

This is weird to me. I just built a new computer with XP home and use Outlook Express for email. However, for security purposes, I am used to double clicking to open an email but in this new build, a single left or right click on an email in my inbox automatically opens it which I don't want. I have checked settings and cannot find anything to change so that a suspicious email is not automatically opened when highlighted for deletion by a single mouse click. Can anyone point the way here? THX!

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

1 edit

richardfrey11001

join:2000-11-15
Floral Park, NY
No. I use single click and my outlook express requires 2 clicks to open e-mail.
--
Luck Has Nothing To Do With It!

adarryl
P.A.S.S. Model

Decatur, IL
reply to adarryl
No, single click is NOT on but emails open with one click instead of two. I am still looking for a way to stop this single click on email otherwise I am just begging for spyware or a virus. Ideas?

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
Do they open in a new window or just in the bottom viewer pane???
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

Gone Fishing
Premium
join:2001-06-29
reply to adarryl
said by adarryl:

..I have checked settings and cannot find anything to change so that a suspicious email is not automatically opened when highlighted for deletion by a single mouse click. Can anyone point the way here?...

Take a look at this and see if it is what you are looking for.

--
non nova, sed nove

adarryl
P.A.S.S. Model

Decatur, IL
reply to adarryl
Well, I have noticed that my email config options through Outlook Express on this new build are different from my other 3 computers OE options. The new PC has OE version 6.0.2900.2180 I am not sure about the others but they are all WIN XP Home machines and all are up to date through Windows Auto Updates. I did find a way to stop the single click opening of email by highlighting INBOX, clicking VIEW, LAYOUT and unchecking "show preview pane." Mail now requires a double click to open like I wanted but I've lost the lower preview pane where emails open on my other PC's. Having unchecked "show preview pane", emails now pop open in a new window. Not exactly what I wanted but at least emails aren't opening with just a single click anymore. Curious.

Shootist
Premium
Decatur, GA
If you have to double click a email for it to be viewed in the viewer pane then the oh=thher PCs are messed up. It has always been one click on a email to highlight it and it will show in the viewer pane and 2 clicks to open in a new window. At least it has been since I got on the net and used IE/OE.
--

adarryl
P.A.S.S. Model

Decatur, IL
reply to adarryl
Sorry, looks like some of us were posting simultaneously so to Shootist, after I uncheck "show preview pane" they open in a new window and NOT in the bottom viewer pane. If I enable that "preview pane" like it was, the msg is automatically opened in the bottom viewer pane with a single mouse click, left or right, doesn't matter. That is not what I want. And yes, Kabanos, what you show is what I discovered and unchecked which stopped the auto opening of a msg but also deleted the bottom window. I think this is the fix but my other pc's don't work this way. You have to double click an email to get it to open and it opens in the bottom viewer pane. Must be some subtle variations within OE 6. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

HRM
God Bless America
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-03
Darien, CT
kudos:1
reply to adarryl
Preview is a no no.

If the inbox in empty and new mail arrives the preview pane will often open the email automatically by default. This is not the safest thing. Best to double clack and deal with the new window rather than have the preview available.

If your computers do not usually open at least the first email in the inbox with the preview pane, that is a new one on me, though I have always shut the preview off on any OE account I have ever touched.
--
Unlock'em,lap'em,Hang'em on the wall

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to adarryl
Your other computers are set wrong and you need to fix them. NEVER use the preview pane in Outlook Express! Very dangerous. It is normal behavior in all versions of OE to have a message open upon single click (right or left) in the preview pane and some will open automatically with NO click! This is why the preview pane should ALWAYS be hidden and never used. If you really love the preview pane then I suggest you use another mail client such as Thunderbird which has a preview pane if you want it but doesn't have dangers that OE does.
--
The first and foremost function of our jurors is to protect private citizens from a tyrannical and intrusive government...Jurors are the last line of defense for liberty. Thomas Jefferson 1789

adarryl
P.A.S.S. Model

Decatur, IL
You're right Mele20. However, I was incorrect. My other pc's do not have the preview pane enabled only this new build did and I couldn't figure out what the heck was out of place. Plus, 'contacts' window was enabled on the others and not on the new build. Like I said earlier, Kabanos pegged the source of my problem and unchecking that preview box took care of things. Thanks to all who replied. Had me scratching my head for a while.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
Well, I'm glad to hear that your other computers are safe from the preview pane. Glad you got this one fixed. It never ceases to amaze me the number of naive users who still use the preview pane in OE. As I said, if you love the preview pane then get a different mail client like Thunderbird.
--
The first and foremost function of our jurors is to protect private citizens from a tyrannical and intrusive government...Jurors are the last line of defense for liberty. Thomas Jefferson 1789

Shootist
Premium
Decatur, GA
reply to adarryl
Your first post had everyone a little confused as one click on a email to highlight it always showed that email in the Preview window which by default is always turned on with a new install of OE.

You can put a button on the tool bar to toggle preview on and off as needed.
--