spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MikeBarry
@Red-80-59-230.pooles

MikeBarry

Anon

Telefonica DNS Delegation

I would like to try (again) to run my own DNS and MAIL servers from home. For this to be successful it is required to provide REVERSE IP ADDRESS RESOLUTION. My DNS server can do this with a PTR record, but Telefonica's servers will need to DELEGATE this authority to me - as they own the IP address. Does anyone know if they will agree to this?

_me
@83.213.x.x

_me

Anon

Absolutely not.

Greetings.

MikeBarry
@Red-80-59-230.pooles

MikeBarry

Anon

Many thanks for responding, although its not the answer I was hoping for. Do you have a reason to be so certain?

_me
@83.213.x.x

_me

Anon

I asked them about it. I guess they may still be laughing at me.

Greetings.

MikeBarry
@Red-80-59-230.pooles

MikeBarry

Anon

Well, I can't say I'm suprised. The infuriating thing is, Telefonica UK do offer this through at least one of there resellers. You can order a pack of one, five or seven static IP numbers - plus reverse lookup.
spanishbob
join:2004-11-30
spain

spanishbob

can't you use a service like dyndns.org or no-ip.com ?
if you have a netgear router then you can auto connect to dyndns.org. let me know if this is what you are lookign for?
MikeBarry
join:2005-03-08
Spain

MikeBarry

Only the ISP (Telefonica in my case) can do this as they 'own' the IP addresses.
spanishbob
join:2004-11-30
spain

spanishbob

but you should know the IP address of your router on the internet, and there are programs associated with no-ip that will update no-ip as to the change in address (if there is one). These services are only pointers and it doesn't matter who "owns" the address. If not, excuse my ramblings.
spanishbob

spanishbob

you should inquire with TheToro via private message, maybe he knows
MikeBarry
join:2005-03-08
Spain

MikeBarry to MikeBarry

to MikeBarry
I appreciate your suggestions, but I will try to explain how I believe the DNS system works. There two types of DNS lookup - Forward and Reverse...

FORWARD: we query the DNS by asking "what is the IP address associated with this Name". E.g. my DNS resolver sends www.dslreports.com and gets back the reply 209.123.109.175.

$ dig www.dslreports.com
OR
$ nslookup
>www.dslreports.com

REVERSE: we query the DNS by asking "what is the Name associated with this IP address". E.g. my DNS resolver sends 175.109.123.209.in-addr.arp and gets back the reply www.dslreports.com.

$ dig -x 209.123.109.175
OR
$ nslookup
>set type=PTR
> 209.123.109.175

I do have a static IP address (so don't need to worry about dynamic) and I can configure my DNS records to resolve my domain name. What I can't do is get inside Telefonica to configure their PTR record of my IP to return my domain name. Only the ISP can do this as the IP block is 'owned' by them. The question is, has anyone succeeded in having Telefonica 'delegate' the PTR lookup to authority back to my DNS server...