spc
uniqs
JossMan3
join:2005-02-19
Bristol, VA

JossMan3 to TMTBoomer

to TMTBoomer

Re: [CATV] cable theft or not?

Its only cable theft if you are getting cable straight from the cable tap. They are simply sharing cable lines. Just like we share bandwidth on a cable line.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

1 recommendation

DaSneaky1D

MVM

For the sake of me being bored right now...

It's theft. Cable bills to the address, not the number of people watching it. If your house has 55 people living in it and all of you chip in $1 a month, then everyone in that house can watch tv billed to that address.

If an apartment complex has 55 tenents and one cable line, split between all residents...but only one tenet's address gets the bill, even if they all chip in a buck 54 people are stealing the service.

Even by your definition of "theft", the person who is splittng the service is "reselling" or "redistributing" the service without the approval of Charter. Charter will NEVER approve of doing such because they make their money from subscribers/address.

Space_Ranger
join:2002-07-15

Space_Ranger to JossMan3

to JossMan3
said by JossMan3:

Its only cable theft if you are getting cable straight from the cable tap. They are simply sharing cable lines. Just like we share bandwidth on a cable line.

This is just so wrong. If you are not paying the provider directly, it is considered theft. If you rent a room from someone and they charge you for the cable, that is also considered theft since the subscriber does not have the right to resell the service to anyone else. That is listed in the UEA.

neofate
Caveat Depascor
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Birmingham, AL

neofate to JossMan3

Premium Member

to JossMan3
said by JossMan3:

Heh, I love when people pull these "rules of thumb" out their proverbial ass's to wrongly correct the right.

It looks to me like Mr. JossMan is bending the blatently obvious answer to what eases his own conscious. =)

Anyhow, everyone caught this one and this is a dead horse, but I will give it one last kick...

You justify your premise that it isn't cable theft with an analogy.

"Just like we share bandwidth on a cable line."

You prooved yourself wrong with that statement alone. We share our bandwidth in the same household, apartment, room, etc. We do not share the same bandwidth with our neighbor 500 yards away through a window.

I know you can do this, and this again would be "theft" again heh.

However, on the bandwidth side of things, I could see sharing bandwidth being a little more justified, because thereby sharing your appropriated share of the overall bandwidth you yourself are having a direct portion of your service taken away from you. If you were to share your cable bandwidth with 5 neighbors, and you all were on at the same time,.. Things are gonna slow waaay down,.. Especially if Danny is downloading the latest version of Debbie does Dallas on his favorite Bitorrent site. =)

Anyhow, of course it's still stealing... it's all a matter of what if any virtue's the individual in question possess'.
JossMan3
join:2005-02-19
Bristol, VA

JossMan3

HMMMMMMMMMMM.........BUDDY LETS GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT, YOU TALK LIKE YOU KNOW HIGH SPEED INTERNET........BUT YOU DONT. YOU SHARE THE SAME BANDWIDTH THAT YOUR NEIGHBORS USE, THATS WHY SPEEDS VARY FROM TIME TO TIME. IF SOMEONE IN YOUR NEIGBORHOOD WAS DOWNLOADING A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF MOVIES, THEN YOUR CONNECTION YOU BE SLOWER THAN DIRT. BECAUSE HE IS HOGGING ALL THE BANDWIDTH ON THE LINE. YOU TALK LIKE A PERSON THAT HAS DSL. SO DONT GET ME STARTED.

TraumaJunkie
Premium Member
join:2004-03-05
Knoxville, TN

TraumaJunkie

Premium Member

Hmmmm..wanna lose the caps lock? Thanks

volntn
The Volunteer
Premium Member
join:2002-01-05
Cleveland, TN

1 edit

volntn to JossMan3

Premium Member

to JossMan3
said by JossMan3:

HMMMMMMMMMMM.........BUDDY LETS GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT, YOU TALK LIKE YOU KNOW HIGH SPEED INTERNET........BUT YOU DONT. YOU SHARE THE SAME BANDWIDTH THAT YOUR NEIGHBORS USE, THATS WHY SPEEDS VARY FROM TIME TO TIME. IF SOMEONE IN YOUR NEIGBORHOOD WAS DOWNLOADING A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF MOVIES, THEN YOUR CONNECTION YOU BE SLOWER THAN DIRT. BECAUSE HE IS HOGGING ALL THE BANDWIDTH ON THE LINE. YOU TALK LIKE A PERSON THAT HAS DSL. SO DONT GET ME STARTED.
Where did that come from???
MrBeetle9
join:2004-02-01
Madison, WI

1 recommendation

MrBeetle9 to JossMan3

to JossMan3
said by JossMan3:

Umm... Hate to break it to you buddy, but everyone shares bandwith on the internet. Speed caps are used to make it so your neighbor does not steal your bandwith - But everything eventually hits a T1/T3/OC3/9/whatevertheyusenow which has a limit of the amount of traffic it can process.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D to JossMan3

MVM

to JossMan3
said by JossMan3:

Bandwidth is shared to the CTMS port on the router. That port (currently) allows for 10mbps up and 20mbps down...or something like that.

If your neighbor (who is capped at 3mbps/256kbps) downloads movies all night, it won't affect you one bit. Now, if everyone on the CTMS port is doing that, yes you will see a speed drop.

Most cable systems are designed to prevent this type of slow down. If you're experiencing it, then there needs to a redistrobution of capacity in your area. Additional backbone bandwidth may be needed as well.
sdlup
join:2005-03-23
Ridge Farm, IL

sdlup to neofate

to neofate
It is theft plain and simple if you are receiving a service from an adjoining residence and not paying for it then you are stealing it. One of my service areas if you get caught its $250.00 to the town.