uniqs

flw
Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04

flw

Premium Member

USB Thumb wifi adapters

I was thinking of getting one of those little pocket size USB wifi adapters and wanted to hear from anyone using one. Pros and cons. either a or g but backwards compatible with usb 1.1 would be nice. Even if I had to use a floppy (in my shirt pocket) or thumb drive for the usb 1.1 compatibility install file.

Most I've seen seem to be just usb 2.0 compatible. So any USB wifi thumb size adapter users out there with opinions on makes/models?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

I have the ZyXEL ZyAIR G-220. It can also act as a mini AP. Though its bigger than thumb size??
»www.zyxel.com/product/mo ··· 85450343

»www.wi-fiplanet.com/revi ··· /3407401

»www.slcentral.com/g-220- ··· b-stick/

flw
Premium Member

flw

Premium Member

It sounds interesting. I see the software comes on CD. Is there a smaller install for just AP or just Client for a floppy? Or a utility on a floppy for it?

I'm looking for this type of device to keep in my pocket with drv on a floppy in my pocket for quick checks/fixes to existing wifi setups.

The traditional USB wifi device was just to big in always bring it on me, I travel from site to site, so a old "b" linksys sits in my car where it gets baked and frozen. So since I have to bring my laptop anyway, I used the laptop for looking from the outside to the PC. This other wifi device would easily let me look from the inside of the machine out for a quicker fix if I can get the adapter and or AP drv on a floppy(s). Idea's?

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
MVM
join:2003-02-18
San Jose, CA

Nerdtalker to flw

MVM

to flw
I've seen a few that are prism based, which means you can (in linux with hostap drivers) run an AP.

You mention USB 1.1 or 2.0 compatible. All 2.0 compatible devices are forwards compatible with USB 1.1. Although throughput might take a hit, it should work.

The only other con I can think of is that the radio power of the adapter by itself is probably pretty weak, not to mention the sensitivity of the antenna. I wouldn't expect much.

I've seen a few linksys ones, and a friend of mine has one. He's never complained.

flw
Premium Member

flw

Premium Member

This would be a trouble shooting tool that I could easily add to what I already haul around in my case. That's why I would like to be able to install the drv via floppy since most of my workstations don't have CD's to slow down the extra junk apps (and the size) the users install.

So distance is usually not a issue for device to device connection within the same building/floor/area.

I have had issue with usb 2.0 connections not being backwards compatible to 1.1 I I have a cheap (CompUSA brand) PCI adapter for additional USB 2.0 ports that didn't work work properly with the sys board on a Gateway tower PC. I don't recall the PC model. Its just a example that any item may work some or most of the time with older hardware or software but not always.

ANAV: Will the software drv fit on a floppy for even just client mode and another for AP etc... ?

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 recommendation

funchords to flw

MVM

to flw
The Hawking HWU54G uses the same chipset as the Airlink version of the same formfactor -- with two great differences:

The Hawking install detects that you are using USB 1.0 or 1.1 and will lock you into B mode -- and a max of 11 Mbps.

The Hawking also let's you set up a software-based Access Point -- something I've never seen on any wireless client software.

Although the exact same driver version is used by the other product, it doesn't have these features.
funchords

funchords to Nerdtalker

MVM

to Nerdtalker
said by Nerdtalker:

You mention USB 1.1 or 2.0 compatible. All 2.0 compatible devices are forwards compatible with USB 1.1. Although throughput might take a hit, it should work.
I've done this, and you're sort-of right, as the 2.0 device doesn't really complain about being in a 1.1 hole.

However, the datarate slides downward as the throughput goes upward -- which is somewhat disconcerting

It does work, but not at "G" throughput.

Chizep
Premium Member
join:2002-04-07
Concord, NC

1 recommendation

Chizep to flw

Premium Member

to flw
My neighbor has the Netgear WG111. It seems to work pretty well for him. He uses the built in XP utility to manage connecting to wireless networks.

The basic driver for 2K and XP is only 340KB, so that would easily fit onto a floppy. But if you need the Netgear utility (required for 2K I'm pretty sure,) that's an additional 3 MB.

Do you have a USB thumb drive? I've long since replaced floppies with one of those.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Chizep:

My neighbor has the Netgear WG111. It seems to work pretty well for him. He uses the built in XP utility to manage connecting to wireless networks.

The basic driver for 2K and XP is only 340KB, so that would easily fit onto a floppy. But if you need the Netgear utility (required for 2K I'm pretty sure,) that's an additional 3 MB.

Do you have a USB thumb drive? I've long since replaced floppies with one of those.
CDs would work too.

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
MVM
join:2003-02-18
San Jose, CA

Nerdtalker to funchords

MVM

to funchords
said by funchords:

It does work, but not at "G" throughput.
Yes. The bottom line is that you're not going to see 802.11g speeds on a USB 1.1 device, period.

USB 1.1 = 12 Megabits/sec
802.11g = 54 Megabits/sec

He's going to have to compromise.