spc
uniqs

OOLhome
@mindspring.com

2 recommendations

OOLhome to OolOhnoes

Anon

to OolOhnoes

OOL Throttling D/L's NOW (Dirty New Tactic)

...continued in this thread as mandated..
said by NS4683:

I don't use newsgroups,
*blink*
Then genius, you cannot comment on the validity of MY OP within »OOL Throttling D/L's NOW (Dirty New Tactic)
Did you even bother to read the whole thing? Or at least the 1st sentence? Here, let me read aloud to you:
"...throttling the connections of users who download from any outside usenet premium ..."
but can this actually be confirmed? How do you know it's not your node being overloaded?
Repeating what you obviously could not read yourself:
"Who here has ever heard of, or can even imagine some type, any type of system malfunction, or failure, manifesting itself, in such a contrived, and precisely timed manner. Not to mention the fact that it affects only a CERTAIN TYPE of network traffic."
and,
"I'm sure you've already seen the some of the threads with complaints in them already."
Apparently, YOU have not.
I'm not buying it yet, especially since the person posting is from cable.mindspring.com
Oooooooooooooo.. Well done Sherlock! That is dead evidence there that someone could not POSSIBLY be an OOL sub.

Here's a clue junior. WHERE someone posts from is utterly irrelevant and I won't comment on red herring such as that again.
said by GeekNJ:

What about the news server provider? Aren't they involved in the equation yet not mentioned?
Who are the news service providers you use? Does it happen to multiple ones at the same time?
Your thread title is very accusatory yet you don't really have much in the way of specific proof.
Don't act so damn coy and patronizing. I've seen your postings and you appear to have some intellect but don't be such a blantant brown nose all the time.

It's plainly obvious that you read into just about every thread in this forum. You've read plenty of posts regarding this issue already and you know damn well it's happening across multiple NSP's and "regions".

Proof. Gimme a break. What do you want a video of the CV NE's actually playing with traffic shaping tools before you'll admit what seems apparent to everyone?

@JoshNJ: As usual, absolutely nothing of value to add at all. Go crawl back under your rock.
said by La Luna:

The bottom line is that only a few people are seeing this....the majority are not.
So, you are the be-all end-all authority huh? You have NO IDEA how many people are seeing this, and neither do I, but there certainly are enough that all should be concerned.

Naysayers READ THIS:
This ONLY affects people who PAY EXTRA for an outside NSP service! If you're unable to read even the 1st damned sentence of my OP, don't waste your time with useless comments. (And this has absolutely nothing to do with routers, so don't bother with that one)

Also, the port you use is of no consequence as I've tried alternates.. It is traffic shaping specifically targeted at usenet downloaders, and for me at least, began saturday, 2/26/2005 (late PM I believe I noted). Node saturation in no way explains the "timeliness" of these occurrances, not to mention the fact that it ONLY is TRIGGERED by USENET activity. All indications are of deliberate actions by CV. Disgraceful.

Additionally, note, this discussion has *no* business being in the "capping" thread either (as a few have suggessted) as that relates specifically to the upload cap.

I *URGE* ANYONE with outside usenet access to:
1) Read the OP (linked at top of this one)
2) Try yourself and report back.

I will repeat that if I am wrong I have no issues admitting to it but until this rather solid theorey is debunked, no *sensible* person can deny what many are seeing.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

bravo.
excellent post reply.

JoshNJ
Premium Member
join:2001-12-25
Freehold, NJ

JoshNJ

Premium Member

said by EliteData:

bravo.
excellent post reply.
yet he still doesn't explain why all of his posts show him on mindspring cable

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to OOLhome

to OOLhome
Also, the port you use is of no consequence as I've tried alternates
...blah blah blah blah...
not to mention the fact that it ONLY is TRIGGERED by USENET activity. All indications are of deliberate actions by CV. Disgraceful.
ah, yet another thread with accusations that OOL has some super duper filters that know to block only YOUR traffic specifically for a service YOU are using.
do you think that OOl is going to waste time/money/resources in setting up throttling filters for newsgroups.
they'll save more money by limiting web, ftp and irc dcc traffic.

ps. if you want to get any respect in this forum, start off by showing some respect.
1st step would be quit being anonymous coward and register for an account.

PigV
@optonline.net

PigV to OOLhome

Anon

to OOLhome
I get exactly the same. 10 minutes at 1.08mB/sec followed by 10 minutes at 363kB/sec and so on. I did a reverse trace-route to Giganews which clearly shows the trouble to be:

>Based on the information in the trace routers it appears that there may be some network congestion at hop #3 which is causing the slowdown.
>
>3 r1-pos2-2.in.nycmny83.cv.net
>
>Out of the 3 traceroutes started from the North America server, 2 of them show some latency spikes, which would point to the network at that point. This looks to be the first hop in your local ISP's network.
>
>Since the latency is fluctuating, that may explain why the issue has been somewhat random.
>
>If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
>
>Thank you for choosing Giganews.

Contacting Optonline results in a purely generic repsonse with no signs that they are even listening (reading).

PigV

animeguy
@megapath.net

animeguy

Anon

hey i just started geting this on mon feb 28, i thought it might be my old modem and ool suggest that i replace it. so i did , got great speeds, until i use newsleecher, got 1040k then it jump all the way down to 200 k then on some files 2.4 k. so i called up ool and they said my connection is perfect, stron the best they can give ya. i had a buddy check my connection he said i had packet loss from 18-24% nad to have a tech check my line, called ool told them this and they said its fine. i am a big newsgroup DL, i used newshosting and i acan easliy reach 400gb a month. don't upload since i get capped easily. this really sucks since i don't even get a constant speed. i rather get constant then these spikes i get. just watned to add my 2 cents. also only happens with usenet but havn't tried dl others and can't right now since i am @ work