tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

1 edit

tired_runner

Premium Member

FIOS scheduled for Bronx NY yet?

I don't know if it's here yet. I know there's folks reporting it live in some parts of Long Island, so I figured I'd ask.
tired_runner

tired_runner

Premium Member

[Business] Re: FIOS scheduled for Bronx NY yet?

Just called, not there yet.

Bummer... The lady did say if I do witness increased Verizon techie activity around my way, that's a tell-tale sign that it's coming soon.

Problem is.... I do have a got damned 9 to 5. I don't exactly get to sit at home during the day waiting to see techs scramble around and about.
blackriders
join:2005-01-16
Bronx, NY

blackriders to tired_runner

to tired_runner
I've seen some verizon activity in my area, but so far nothing fios related. Did you happen to ask for an eta for the Bronx.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

I did, but the lady didn't know.
awk_boy
join:2002-05-15
Bronx, NY

awk_boy to tired_runner

to tired_runner
Well, I haven't seen any deployment activity in my area of The Bronx (Throgs Neck). Therefore, I doubt we'll be able to get it before 2006.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

I'm on Castle Hill. I haven't seen anything happening that I could tell.

Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
I wonder when Brooklyn will see FIOS.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
join:2002-12-04
Howard Beach, NY

MEDIAN2k3 to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
a few months ago maybe december i saw like 9 vz trucks by a # 2 train track on white plains road they were working underground, prolly not FiOS but hey never know
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

They have to do everything underground in that area, so it could have been anything.

Nymostwanted
Who Cares?
Premium Member
join:2004-06-25
Bronx, NY

Nymostwanted

Premium Member

Hey, pplz, dont loose hope. Verizon will get to NYC sometime. They already started in Queens and Staten Island is up and running!

brooklynman4
join:2004-09-07
Brewster, NY

brooklynman4 to tired_runner

to tired_runner
I just moved to the bronx this pass month i have seen in front of my new house three orange tubes empty half underground and half exposed also they sharing the poles with ool from what i have seen here also i have seen on the orange tubes verizon fiberoptics networks also says property of verizon so thats a sign.:)

Fiberhoor
@optonline.net

Fiberhoor

Anon

What section of the Bronx do you live in Brooklynman4?

Shamayim
Premium Member
join:2002-09-23

Shamayim to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner

[Business] If you see Vz techs working in the street

don't guess, don't wonder, ASK them: "Are you guys laying fiber, by any chance?" Then report back here
awk_boy
join:2002-05-15
Bronx, NY

awk_boy

[Business] Re: If you see Vz techs working in the street

I'd imagine that wiring the BX would start close to Westchester, where they've already have an established network, and spread south from there.

The Country Club/Throgs Neck area may be one of the first parts of the BX, since the wiring there is above ground, and VZ seems to want to install FIOS above ground at this point.

Note: I have no facts to support any guess in this post.
sunny8294
Shqipe
join:2001-03-15
Localhost ;)

sunny8294 to tired_runner

to tired_runner

[Business] Re: FIOS scheduled for Bronx NY yet?

Any possiblity for Westchester Square Area? My zipcode is 10461. Getting sick of OOL capping or it's crapping?
TrekfanII
join:2000-10-14
Bronx, NY

TrekfanII to tired_runner

to tired_runner
I would think that the Bronx would be an ideal place to lay fiber.It's on the mainland.They have many conduites in which to deploy the lines.Heck if I were Verizon, I'd use the even the transit lines to lay that fiber!
blackriders
join:2005-01-16
Bronx, NY

blackriders to tired_runner

to tired_runner
We're all saying The Bronx would be and Ideal place to lay Fiber, it's prob because we all live in The Bronx. I'm thinking that by the end year we'll know for sure.

lookout4fios
@aol.com

lookout4fios to TrekfanII

Anon

to TrekfanII
in nyc staten island is the ideal place that's why it started construction first and will be live by end spring early summer

andyny7
join:2002-11-15

andyny7 to tired_runner

to tired_runner
any news regarding the bronx? I'm in 10458, Fordham Rd near Fordham brand NYPL

I got rid of Cablevision TV already, got rid of VZ post already (using vonage)

Can't wait to upgrade my speed for the same price

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy to tired_runner

to tired_runner
i live at NYC lower manhattan.. i have been seeing alot of verizon people going down to the sewers... mostly where i work also.. 36th street between 5th and 6th.. mostly 5th avenue... and two tracks like two blocks alway from my apartment.... i hope they are doing fios.. 3mb just doesnt' cut it any more.. when HK get there 1gb.. >...

ss4vegito7
join:2004-07-24
Cranbury, NJ

ss4vegito7

I saw a fiber looking box on a pole in riverdal...
sirsyko
join:2005-05-15
Bronx, NY

sirsyko to tired_runner

to tired_runner
where in riverdale did you see it?

FIOSWATCHER
@ny325.east.verizon.n

FIOSWATCHER to tired_runner

Anon

to tired_runner
Its not in the Bronx. Not a single fiber has been placed for FIOS, nor have any boxes.
AJ023
join:2001-12-25
Forest Hills, NY

4 edits

AJ023

Does a pedestal box count?

Verizon doesnt want people to know where they are deploying for sole reason they dont want their competitors to know. There are some areas which have had prelim work but till its close to being ready Verizon wont say it has been done or will even argue it has not been done.

Remember this: Heavily MDU sections of the Bronx will not get done right away. There are more upscale suberban like areas in the Bronx in some sections and those are likely to be wired soon. I would not even hesitate to believe that FIOS may have already been started in the Bronx.

Earliest areas to get it will include:

Baychester, Bedford Park, Castle Hill, City Island, Country Club, Eastchester, Edenwald, Fordham, Highbridge, Hunts Point, Kingsbridge, Melrose, Morrisania, Morris Heights, Morris Park, Mott Haven, Norwood, Parkchester, Pelham Bay, Pelham Parkway, Port Morris, Riverdale, Soundview, Throgs Neck, Tremont, University Heights, Wakefield, Westchester Square, West Farms, Williamsbridge, and Woodlawn.

Early permits have been spotted in some of these towns for very preliminary work. Some of you are also reporting seeing fiber boxes which is very possible. Please take digital pics. I am not sure if more was done. Verizon is doing a great job in accelerating this but at the same time is keeping a TIGHT LID on what area will go next for competitive reasons.

Any of you who see work are encouraged to post it. I have seen permits in Bronx for new telephone polls/replacements and its unclear yet if FIOS will be put on those new polls right away.

Just a word to Verizon: Dont worry about keeping locations hidden because quite frankly, noone else is even deploying FIOS and the people here want it and if you tell them you are doing prelim work, they will be early adopters and be more loyal Verizon customers.

SBC cant do SQUAT till the AT&T merger approval in which case they will then MAYBE come into the market for residential. We dont know yet.

Also ignore ANYONE posting as anonymous on these forums as to FIOS deployment. Could be some other cable co employees as well trying to keep you away.

Remember bronx in many of these towns are like suberbia and those areas will be next in line. Staten Island goes first though with complete FIOS deployment as its still rolling and fast too over there. Rolling rolling rolling. More fiber homes passed daily.

Verizon is gonna soon have a McDonalds like sign, Million served with FIOS

Mikep7779
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Woodlawn, NY

Mikep7779

Premium Member

said by AJ023:

Does a pedestal box count?

Verizon doesnt want people to know where they are deploying for sole reason they dont want their competitors to know. There are some areas which have had prelim work but till its close to being ready Verizon wont say it has been done or will even argue it has not been done.

Remember this: Heavily MDU sections of the Bronx will not get done right away. There are more upscale suberban like areas in the Bronx in some sections and those are likely to be wired soon. I would not even hesitate to believe that FIOS may have already been started in the Bronx.

Earliest areas to get it will include:

Baychester, Bedford Park, Castle Hill, City Island, Country Club, Eastchester, Edenwald, Fordham, Highbridge, Hunts Point, Kingsbridge, Melrose, Morrisania, Morris Heights, Morris Park, Mott Haven, Norwood, Parkchester, Pelham Bay, Pelham Parkway, Port Morris, Riverdale, Soundview, Throgs Neck, Tremont, University Heights, Wakefield, Westchester Square, West Farms, Williamsbridge, and Woodlawn.

Early permits have been spotted in some of these towns for very preliminary work. Some of you are also reporting seeing fiber boxes which is very possible. Please take digital pics. I am not sure if more was done. Verizon is doing a great job in accelerating this but at the same time is keeping a TIGHT LID on what area will go next for competitive reasons.

Any of you who see work are encouraged to post it. I have seen permits in Bronx for new telephone polls/replacements and its unclear yet if FIOS will be put on those new polls right away.

Just a word to Verizon: Dont worry about keeping locations hidden because quite frankly, noone else is even deploying FIOS and the people here want it and if you tell them you are doing prelim work, they will be early adopters and be more loyal Verizon customers.

SBC cant do SQUAT till the AT&T merger approval in which case they will then MAYBE come into the market for residential. We dont know yet.

Also ignore ANYONE posting as anonymous on these forums as to FIOS deployment. Could be some other cable co employees as well trying to keep you away.

Remember bronx in many of these towns are like suberbia and those areas will be next in line. Staten Island goes first though with complete FIOS deployment as its still rolling and fast too over there. Rolling rolling rolling. More fiber homes passed daily.

Verizon is gonna soon have a McDonalds like sign, Million served with FIOS
I got uneasy when reading the list.... I live in woodlawn, the last on the list

andyny7
join:2002-11-15

andyny7 to tired_runner

to tired_runner
the list is alphabetical so it doesn't mean your area will be last. I live in kingsbridge so cross my fingers now

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
join:2002-12-04
Howard Beach, NY

MEDIAN2k3 to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
funnie you should mention this list of place in the bronx, my cousin tonight who works for a company in long island told me he could get FiOS all he had to do was pay for the fiber drop to the house, now he lives with my grandmother over near co - op city (she lives near eastchester road and mace) He tells me that he will pay for it but its too expensive, now i didnt even argue because him and i are like the two pc geeks in the family so it would be pointless but all i said was prove me wrong!
CopperMux
join:2005-01-18

CopperMux to AJ023

to AJ023
AJ, I doubt you will see FIOS in most of those areas soon. Outside of Woodlawn, parts of Wakefield, Country Club, City Island and Riverdale, most of those areas or strictly apartment buildings. With the MDU solution unresolved according to posts here, those areas will not see any FIOS. The ones I listed above are primarily single or dual family homes with a few apartment buildings.
AJ023
join:2001-12-25
Forest Hills, NY

2 edits

AJ023

I did not seperate those areas prodimemantly MDU as I dont know offhand those areas. You can google for community district to find out which of those have the highest percentage of homes as NYC keeps track of that on its website.

Actually your wrong about most of the other areas being mostly apartment buildings though. See there are plenty of areas that are majority homes at like 30% or so based on quick glance with MDUs at 20% or so. Verizon is steadily accelerating and will eventually have to do where the homes are even in areas which have MDUs nearby as they fill in more areas but they will likely choose the ones with higher amount of homes than MDUs. Verizon also has 2 ONT suppliers as well now.

Suberbia in NYC metro is getting filled in quick (suberban like areas of the boroughs, long island, westchester and rockland). Take Queens for instance where they did the most suberban like towns of Bayside, Little Neck, Oakland Gardens and Douglaston areas. There is a few areas left like Whitestone, and other areas with lots of homes, but those numbers are diminishing and they will have move to homes in areas near MDU's which have more homes than MDUs at first.

»www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/htm ··· art.html and you can get stats based on each community district. Verizon has to do the homes regardless so its easier to do the areas where there more homes than apartment buildings as that still takes alot of time to do for the homes.

Nope those areas were alphabetical and my own assessment of the towns most likely to get FIOS first.

Even though Verizon will go online with Bronx, dont expect it right away though. It will take months from initial start phase. So even if Verizon did start deploying Bronx fully right now, you are looking at maybe 9 months from today for just SOME areas to come online and so far they havent done any significant work barring any new developments (everything is subject to change). But those areas are likely to get it before the other areas in the Bronx in my personal opinion.
CopperMux
join:2005-01-18

CopperMux

AJ, it appears you are incorrect. I live and work there for well over 30 years now and the areas I listed as being mostly MDU's are indeed that. VZ will not start to fiber up an area that is mostly apartment buildings. If they are going to stick with a single family type layout, Woodlawn, Wakefield, Throggs Neck, Country Club, Riverdale and Morris Park are really the only areas to go after. The majority of the west Bronx is apartment house from Riverdale south to 132nd St. Same for the mid and eastern sections outside of those listed above.

Now, none of that will matter if they resolve the MDU issue but until they do, anywhere outside of the areas listed above are no go.