uniqs
share rss forum feed

Midak
Doctors suck
Premium
join:2002-02-26
Yonkers, NY
reply to DVRaholic

[Business] Re: FIOS scheduled for Bronx NY yet?

Hey DVR, do you really hate me now?

Thats on an iMac, untweaked, going through two routers.

jammmin

join:2000-12-14
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to Network Guy

Someting doesn't make any sense to me. All of my family in the NE Bronx can get FIOS internet except one. I have family in the Baychester Avenue and Dyre Avenue areas who can get FIOS but another family member who lives on Murdock Avenue a few feet from the Mount Vernon Border can't get FIOS. The last time I was there, there wasn't even any fiber strung on the poles. This is an area of only single family homes.

I am not sure if its the Cruger Avenue CO that serves this area. I think that is the only CO that is currently active in the Bronx.

Who knows, maybe they are served out out a CO in Mount Vernon since he is almost on the border.

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
reply to Network Guy

Bronx Residents at Eastchester Heights Can Enjoy Lightning-Fast Internet Connections From Verizon

Apartment-Complex Residents Will Enjoy the Most Advanced, Fiber-Powered Technology and Surf the Internet at Speeds of Up to 50 Mbps
October 17, 2007: 10:13 AM EST

NEW YORK, Oct. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Residents of the 1,416-unit Eastchester Heights apartment complex in the Eastchester section of the Bronx now have Verizon's FiOS Internet service at their fingertips, delivered on the nation's most advanced digital all-fiber-optic network right into their homes. With FiOS Internet, they get download speeds of up to 50 Mbps (megabits per second).

"We have been upgrading the property, and we're very pleased to make available the latest technology, Verizon's FiOS, which will give our residents the bandwidth to support their Internet experiences today as well as into the future," said John Weir, senior vice president of Taconic Investment Partners, co-owner of Eastchester Heights.

Eric Cevis, vice president of Verizon Enhanced Communities, said, "Bringing FiOS to Eastchester Heights reflects our vigorous effort to expand the buildout of our all-fiber-optic network to more and more places in New York City. Residents at Eastchester Heights, along with consumers who live in other parts of the five boroughs where FiOS Internet is available, will truly be amazed when they surf the Internet or download feature films with FiOS."

Downloading a 1.2 gigabyte, or 90-minute, standard-definition movie on a 50 Mbps connection takes about three minutes.

Verizon's FiOS network also is used to deliver FiOS TV, an all-digital, feature-rich service that could be made available to Eastchester Heights once a local franchise is granted. TV service providers are required by law to negotiate franchises with municipalities they hope to serve.

Verizon is the only major telecom company whose network has earned the certification of the independent Fiber to the Home Council for providing fiber all the way to customers' homes.

In New York, Verizon's FiOS Internet service offers download speeds of up to 10, 20 and 50 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 5 Mbps. Verizon is constructing its all-fiber-optic network throughout the state. FiOS Internet service is available in many parts of the five boroughs of New York, and FiOS TV service is available on Long Island and in Westchester and Rockland counties.

Taconic Investment Partners, in partnership with co-owner ING Clarion, is renovating the apartments at Eastchester Heights with new kitchens and bathrooms; improving the playground facilities, lighting and landscaping; and upgrading security. The tree-lined complex spans five city blocks, with abundant shopping on its perimeter.

DVRaholic
Premium
join:2006-01-20
Bronx, NY
reply to Midak

said by Midak:

This should get things rolling in Woodlawn again.
»FiOSTV Coming to NYC
Bring it On !!!!

Midak
Doctors suck
Premium
Yonkers, NY
reply to Network Guy

This should get things rolling in Woodlawn again.
»FiOSTV Coming to NYC

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
reply to RobNyc

There is choice. People love to bitch.

RobNyc
Premium
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY
reply to Network Guy

There's a lot of drama going on with FIOS prices

DjVaGGo
Premium
join:2004-10-23
Woodside, NY

1 edit
reply to DVRaholic

said by DVRaholic:

said by DjVaGGo:

said by BioGeek:

Awesome speeds. How was the install? I haven't seen Vz doing any major advertising campaign by me. I want discount gas and cheesecake!
I want cheesecake too!!
Still NO CHEESECAKE here in Woodlawn
Not even strawberry cheesecake??

Well hopefully you get it soon...I have noticed how long you have been waiting because I have been following this thread for a very long time

DVRaholic
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to DjVaGGo

said by DjVaGGo:

said by BioGeek:

Awesome speeds. How was the install? I haven't seen Vz doing any major advertising campaign by me. I want discount gas and cheesecake!
I want cheesecake too!!
Still NO CHEESECAKE here in Woodlawn

DjVaGGo
Premium
join:2004-10-23
Woodside, NY
reply to BioGeek

said by BioGeek:

I want cheesecake too!!

Midak
Doctors suck
Premium
Yonkers, NY
reply to DVRaholic

It's worth a shot but if you call Cablevision and tell them you are leaving for FiOS to get better speeds, they give you Boost for no additional cost for a year. You should have FiOS available to you before the year is up.

DVRaholic
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to Midak

You're a Big Tease Midak!!! You Yonkers Boys think you are So much better!!!

Midak
Doctors suck
Premium
Yonkers, NY
reply to BioGeek

Install was smooth but lengthy.

BioGeek
Premium
join:2007-08-25
West Orange, NJ
reply to Midak

Midak
Doctors suck
Premium
Yonkers, NY
reply to Network Guy

Well, I got it installed today, TV too. The HD is awesome, better than CV. Speeds, are as good as I could ask for.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
reply to Steve2323

It would be nice if Verizon offered free gas for a year, Major World style.

I've been Cablevision-free for close to two years. Happy never to look back.

Steve2323

@verizon.net
reply to Network Guy

As a previsouly mentioned I am a 10/2 Fios subscriber on Bronx River Rd yonkers. I recently just got a hell of an offer I couldnt pass up. Last Friday Verizon took over the Sunoco gas station on Bronx River Road. They took $.25 cents off every gallon for advertising. I was offered their triple play for $94 a month. This included the Premium tv, unlimited phone, and 20/5 fios internet. In addition they also gave me a $50 gift card to cheesecake factory. I have hated cable vision for a while as they did not bring cable to this area till early/middle 90's. I am glad to say starting in 2 weeks from sat, i will not be paying them another dime.

Midak
Doctors suck
Premium
Yonkers, NY
reply to jav

Yeah, I wanted a Sauturday only but the earliest was the 13th (weekday.) I'm in no real rush for it.

DVR, it was a few months before I was able to order after the boxes on the pole went up.

DVRaholic
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to jav

Still NOTHING here.
Fiber went up 4 months ago, and my block had the Splitter boxes put in nearly 2 months ago and still NOTHING !!!!
(I am near 233rd street and Kepler)

jav

@comcast.net
reply to Midak

said by Midak:

I just ordered FiOS TV and internet. I am near Bronx River and Mile Square. 9/22 install date.
Darn, 3 almost 4 weeks appt. to install. I assume you wanted a Saturday only install why it takes so long

Midak
Doctors suck
Premium
Yonkers, NY
reply to Network Guy

I just ordered FiOS TV and internet. I am near Bronx River and Mile Square. 9/22 install date.

jammmin

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to Steve2323

I assume you like in Yonkers. Verizon just turned on TV service there?

Its just pathetic that residents of NYC(Verizon's biggest market) won't see FIOS TV anytime soon. Loss for Verizon. Huge gains for Cablevision and Timewarner.

Steve2323

@maintech1.com
reply to StiG

I am still so surprised Woodlawn is not wired. I am 2 blocks away from Woodlawn on Bronx River Road. I have had Fios internet for 6 months now and just ordered the TV service today. Growing up in woodlawn and having cablevision wait till early to mid 90's to wire the Bronx (Woodlawn) was ridulous. I am so glad that starting next week I will not have to give cablevision another dime. Screw you Dolan, Im done!

StiG

@optonline.net
reply to Network Guy

I need fios......optimum online seems to prevent seeding on torrents...what's good with the throgs neck/ morris park sections of the BX...is optimum the only provider for internet?!

sunny8294
Shqipe

join:2001-03-15
Localhost ;)
reply to jammmin

said by jammmin:

Now, this is what Verizon needs to continue to do. Continue building out the Bronx and the rest of NYC even though a franchise agreement isn’t in place. Once an agreement is in place,(there has to be one at some point), then FIOS TV could be made almost immediately to thousands of residents. NYC is already totally built out by Cablevision and Time Warner. It will take Verizon many many years to catch up so to me, commonsense would dictate that they continue to build out as fast as possible even without a franchise agreement. The Bronx has over 3 million residents mostly in apt buildings. That’s a huge money pit if Verizon can get its act together.
Coop City will be a gold mine if Verizon can get to deploy over there. Almost 50,000 residents in about 30 buildings. Cablevision wired the entire complex about 10 years ago. It would take Verizon a couple of months to wire the whole complex since some apt. buildings are 30 stories high.

Also, I was able to watch the 15 VOOM HD channels on Cablevision. Trust me, FIOS TV customers aren’t missing anything much. I could hardly find anything to watch on any of these 15 channels but Cablevision of course had bragging rights now because they offer about 40 HD channels compared to the 25 or so that FIOS TV offers. Bragging rights are important especially since FIOS advertises itself as having virtually unlimited capacity.
I agree 200%

RobNyc
Premium
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY
reply to Network Guy

I cant wait to be able to get Verizon Triple Package than Cable's Triple .. Cable's Digital Phone just super sux0rs you can hardly hear anything when you're on the phone but the good thing is I can call canada at no extra charge.

Verizon needs to hurry up and spread FIOS because Cable's speed are already much higher than DSL's fastest speed.

But hopefully Verizon's price stays reasonable.

ddg4005
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Bronx, NY
reply to jammmin

Let's hope Verizon does this. I would love to get Fios TV along with the Internet service when it becomes available.
--
A man must have a code. -Bunk

jammmin

Upper Marlboro, MD

1 edit
reply to Network Guy

Recently was in the Bronx visiting family.

My brother lives on Burke Avenue in a 7 story apt. building. His building recently got totally wired for FIOS. They ran the wires along the hallway roof. Very neatly done. They have a FIOS drop for each apartment. There are about 20 apts on each floor.

Now, this is what Verizon needs to continue to do. Continue building out the Bronx and the rest of NYC even though a franchise agreement isn’t in place. Once an agreement is in place,(there has to be one at some point), then FIOS TV could be made almost immediately to thousands of residents. NYC is already totally built out by Cablevision and Time Warner. It will take Verizon many many years to catch up so to me, commonsense would dictate that they continue to build out as fast as possible even without a franchise agreement. The Bronx has over 3 million residents mostly in apt buildings. That’s a huge money pit if Verizon can get its act together.
Coop City will be a gold mine if Verizon can get to deploy over there. Almost 50,000 residents in about 30 buildings. Cablevision wired the entire complex about 10 years ago. It would take Verizon a couple of months to wire the whole complex since some apt. buildings are 30 stories high.

Also, I was able to watch the 15 VOOM HD channels on Cablevision. Trust me, FIOS TV customers aren’t missing anything much. I could hardly find anything to watch on any of these 15 channels but Cablevision of course had bragging rights now because they offer about 40 HD channels compared to the 25 or so that FIOS TV offers. Bragging rights are important especially since FIOS advertises itself as having virtually unlimited capacity.

ddg4005
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Bronx, NY
reply to DVRaholic

Nothing doin' for rest of the borough it seems. I think Verizon will probably deploy trunks similar to Cablevision's onto streets and rely on copper for the last run to the apartments. I say this only because there's hasn't been much talk of deployments even though Verizon has equipment for multiple dwellings.

Just my .02.
--
A man must have a code. -Bunk

DVRaholic
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to DVRaholic

NOBODY ????!!!!!!!