Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed view:
watch

tsskiller

join:2005-07-24
Bronx, NY
reply to DVRaholic

[Business] Re: FIOS scheduled for Bronx NY yet?

Well, the trucks passed by Pelham Bay Station a few times, so either they were going back to Tratman or laying fiber (I hope it's the latter).

DVRaholic
Premium
join:2006-01-20
Bronx, NY

1 edit
reply to tsskiller

Next time you see them Just ask them, they wont Bite
Seriously this is how I got a lot of information.

By the way, where in Pelham bay did you see them ??
I lived there for 15 years and still have family there

tsskiller

Bronx, NY
reply to DVRaholic

I've been spotting Verizon cable trucks around the Pelham Bay section for about a month now (including today)...maybe this is a sign for FiOS deployment in a few months.

DVRaholic
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to ddg4005

said by ddg4005:

said by DVRaholic:

Im In the woodlawn area of the bronx (3 blocks from Yonkers border)
and Midak is in Yonkers, at least thats what he says
It's good to hear that some Bronxites have Fios . Can you get Fios TV as well?
Midak can get Fios TV because hes in Yonkers (Not part of NYC)

Us in the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island have to wait till the NYC City contract is signed, Rumors say its going to happen Very soon, but they have been saying that since last year

ddg4005
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Bronx, NY

1 edit
reply to DVRaholic

said by DVRaholic:

Cool. I figured Verizon would wire up near Westchester county before hitting Morris Heights (where I live). There are a lot of tenements in my area which makes me wonder if they employ fiber to the curb and then use copper for last run to apartments. Even though I live in a brownstone this may be the case for me too.

It's good to hear that some Bronxites have Fios . Can you get Fios TV as well?

DVRaholic
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to ddg4005

said by ddg4005:

said by DVRaholic:

said by Midak:

Hey DVR, congrats on your future billing headaches. Might not be so bad with just phone and net but from September to January, my bill was messed up every single month.
Hey Its Midak, Long time no see.
Thanks for your Congrats (I think)

What part of the Bronx do you live if don't mind my asking?

ddg4005
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Bronx, NY
reply to DVRaholic

said by DVRaholic:

said by Midak:

Hey DVR, congrats on your future billing headaches. Might not be so bad with just phone and net but from September to January, my bill was messed up every single month.

What part of the Bronx do you live if don't mind my asking?

DVRaholic
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to Midak

said by Midak:

Midak
Doctors suck
Premium
join:2002-02-26
Yonkers, NY
reply to Network Guy

jammmin

join:2000-12-14
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to blaqueknite

said by blaqueknite:

Tratman is the next CO that will be done, but there are a couple issues probably holding things up. Verizon is hoping to have the video franchise approved this summer until that happens no new CO's will be started. Also the union's contract is up in August so there is the possibility of a strike.
As I have suggested before, doesn't it make since to build out as much as possible so that when the video franchise is signed FIOS TV will be available to as much people as possible versus waiting to get the franchise and then you build out.

Verizon is building itself further into a hole by waiting. Bad for them, good for the cable companies.

blaqueknite

join:2005-11-08
reply to sunny8294

Tratman is the next CO that will be done, but there are a couple issues probably holding things up. Verizon is hoping to have the video franchise approved this summer until that happens no new CO's will be started. Also the union's contract is up in August so there is the possibility of a strike.

sunny8294
Shqipe

join:2001-03-15
Localhost ;)
reply to Network Guy

Argh, did they forget there is a CO called Tratman Avenue?

--
.:: Sunny ::.

tsskiller

Bronx, NY
reply to DVRaholic

[Business] Re: Why it took so long

Let's hope that they could wire Tratman just as quickly.

DVRaholic
Premium
Bronx, NY

2 edits
reply to Network Guy

[Business] Why it took so long

The reason it took so long is because as I said in my post I was the FIRST block in my neighborhood to get the Fiber up, My whole neighborhood is wired now (10 blocks wide by 10 blocks long)

Problem was shortly after the fiber went up on my block All work stopped in my neighborhood because as Blaqueknight said in this thread, All workers were moved to areas that could offer Video. Since I am in the Bronx we don't have Video yet.

Work resumed a few months ago and now my Block has been turned on, I am the First block activated as most of the neighborhood still cant order Fios.

So if the work had not stopped for nearly 6 months, Then it would of taken 2-3 months from the Fiber being hung to me being turned on.

Bottom line is Even though it took 9 months, I'm still happy as Hell that I can finally Dump OOL!!!

Yes!

jammmin

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to CopperMux

[Business] Re: YESSSS!!

said by CopperMux:

You're right, it's incredibly easy to run cable in the Bronx. They should have been done in 3 or 4 hours. Ever think there is more to it than what you see?
I understand but there is much more involved when you have undergroun utilities. If it took me two months from when they dug through my yard to get service. It should take much less than that time to overhead wiring.

Its not rocket science.

CopperMux

join:2005-01-18

1 edit
reply to jammmin

You're right, it's incredibly easy to run cable in the Bronx. They should have been done in 3 or 4 hours. Ever think there is more to it than what you see?

jammmin

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to CopperMux

said by CopperMux:

said by jammmin:

said by DVRaholic:

Whooo Hooo!!!!

FINALLY!! 9 months after the Fiber was strung on my Block

(I was the First block in my neighborhood to get the fiber up)

FIOS has been turned ON is available to me!!!!

Installation is scheduled for Saturday.

YES!!!
I think it is pathetic it took 9 months after fiber was strung up in your neighborhood for it to be finally available. At this rate, Verizon will take 50 years to finally catch up to the cable companies.
It's not like they hung it and then sat looking at it for 8 months. It takes time and alot more than splicing and flipping a switch.
When Verizon came through my neighborhood in Maryland(all underground utilities), it took only two months or less from when they dug through my yard for the service to be ready.

Most of the Bronx is overhead wiring which is much easier to install than digging up everyone' yard in my neighborhood, so therefore, I don't believe in this 9 month garbage wait. At this rate, they will never catch up with Cablevision or Time Warner.

CopperMux

reply to jammmin

said by jammmin:

said by DVRaholic:

Whooo Hooo!!!!

YES!!!
I think it is pathetic it took 9 months after fiber was strung up in your neighborhood for it to be finally available. At this rate, Verizon will take 50 years to finally catch up to the cable companies.
It's not like they hung it and then sat looking at it for 8 months. It takes time and alot more than splicing and flipping a switch.

jammmin

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to DVRaholic

said by DVRaholic:

Whooo Hooo!!!!

YES!!!

CopperMux

reply to DVRaholic

NICE!

DVRaholic
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to jammmin

[Business] YESSSS!!

Whooo Hooo!!!!

YES!!!

jammmin

Upper Marlboro, MD

1 edit
reply to nintendo424

[Business] Re: FIOS scheduled for Bronx NY yet?

I am sure Cablevision will try to keep Verizon out of Coop City by buying off th board members of Coop City.

Remember, Verizon will need permission from the Coop City Board to wire the all the buildings in Coop City.

nintendo424

join:2008-02-07
reply to Network Guy

RE:Cablevision recently purchased Coop City's in house cable company allows Coop City to use its spare fiber for surveilance cameras. I'm not sure but Cablevision may hold exclusive rights to Coop City. In any case Verizon is looking to turn a profit quickly and high rise apartments would be the most expensive to wire.

That was Community Home Entertainment cable. CHE cable RIP 1982-2008. Why did coop city sell it? Now cable prices go even higher. Verizon needs to get that cable franchise in the Bronx!

Midak
Doctors suck
Premium
join:2002-02-26
Yonkers, NY
reply to DVRaholic

said by DVRaholic:

Work seems to have stopped in my neighborhood again
This is really dragging on and on...
Hang in there, they may actually be done wiring. It was a while before I could order after they were done with the wiring.

DVRaholic
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to Network Guy

Work seems to have stopped in my neighborhood again
This is really dragging on and on...

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to tsskiller

said by tsskiller:

[...]if I have to pay termination fees in order to switch to FiOS.
There are no termination fees for DSL when upgrading to FiOS.

tsskiller

Bronx, NY
reply to Network Guy

I wonder if Verizon would let me opt out of a new DSL contract when FiOS becomes available here (at the Tratman CO). I don't want to sign a new contract (as my contract expires on March 22nd.) if I have to pay termination fees in order to switch to FiOS.

jammmin

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to Network Guy

FIOS internet has been available to my brother in his Bronx MDU(10 story) for sometime now.

Recently, FIOS reps. had a big push to sign up subscribers in his building. He is thinking of getting it.

They are offering him a double play package(phone/internet) for which he will save $10-15 a month over a comparaable package from Cablevision. He currently has all 3 services from Cablevision.

The double play package comes with a 2 year contract. He is concerned how easy it would be to upgrade to a triple play package when FIOS TV comes to NYC hopefully sometime this year?

sunny8294
Shqipe

join:2001-03-15
Localhost ;)
reply to blaqueknite

Thanks blaqueknite for your information. Glad that Tratman CO is queued up for 2008 . Do you have any idea when the work will begin?

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to blaqueknite

said by blaqueknite:

I was told that in the Bronx the big push will be to install Fios in Tratman Ave CO in 2008.
It's about damn time.

More than likely I'll keep my trusty, cost-effective $28 3/768 line, but I wouldn't find checking out FiOS for video. I like DirecTV but would need to compare pricing and decide.

Cool beans. Thx for the info.