Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ddg4005
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Bronx, NY
reply to blaqueknite

[Business] Re: FIOS scheduled for Bronx NY yet?

Thanks for the info. Have you heard anything about future deployments in Morris Heights?

blaqueknite

join:2005-11-08
reply to Network Guy

Hi everyone I just want to pass on some info I have. I was told today that Verizon has put in its application for a city wide TV franchise. The company is optimistic that it could be approved by late July early August. With that approval they would go forward with an aggressive build out. This would mean instead of building Central Office by Central Office that FIOS would be installed in different COs at the same time. I was also told that Verizon is close to an agreement with Parkchester to install FIOS.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
reply to blaqueknite

Thanks for the link.

blaqueknite

reply to Network Guy

link to article

»www.smartmoney.com/news/ON/index···&cid=948

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
reply to blaqueknite

How about a link to the article?

blaqueknite

reply to Network Guy

NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) moved a step closer to offering its FiOS TV in New York City after the city issued a solicitation seeking new service providers on Friday.

This starts a process that could ultimately lead to Verizon getting permission to offer television over fiber-optic lines in the city as soon as this year. It would be a coup - at least image-wise - for Verizon, which currently isn't able to offer TV service in its hometown.

"It's a huge market and they're losing share to Time Warner and Cablevision on the access-line side," said Todd Rosenbluth, an equity analyst at Standard & Poor's. "The chance to get in and offer the services and hold their own on the access-line side are steps in the right direction."

Unlike most cities, where companies looking to provide television service seek out franchising agreements from local governments, New York puts out a solicitation to various cable providers after one party expresses interest.

In the best-case scenario, obtaining a franchise could take as little as three to four months after the city approves Verizon's proposal, said Vincent Grippo, chief of staff for the New York City Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications, adding that the process could take much longer.

"It's not a hard-and-fast thing," he said. "It's conceivable that they get it by the end of the year. It's also conceivable it could take longer."

In addition to Verizon, New York sent out solicitations to other cable providers, including Time Warner Cable Inc. (TWC) and Cablevision Systems Corp. (CVC), which already serve the New York market, as well as other players such as Comcast Corp. (CMCSK, CMCSA). The solicitation seeks providers looking to provide service to all of New York, which is why Time Warner and Cablevision would be interested. Both companies only offer their services to parts of the city.

"This is not exclusive to Verizon," Grippo said. "In theory, the city could be issuing three or four potential new franchises."

Verizon, meanwhile, has fought a long, slow battle to get its television service in various markets across the country. The company must go from city to city to get individual permission to operate in the area, often promising concessions for the franchise. In operates in several states, including Texas, New Jersey, and New York, but not New York City.

The telecom company has invested $18 billion to upgrade its network with fiber optic lines that can carry Internet, video and telephone signals at a much faster rate. It is pushing hard against the cable providers, which a few years ago encroached its core telephone business by offering an Internet-based phone service.

The fight recently got more bitter: Verizon sued Time Warner Cable Inc., alleging the false claims made in a television ad. Time Warner Cable, in which Time Warner Inc. (TWX) owns an 84% stake, denies the charges.

S&P's Rosenbluth said that if there is a risk to Verizon's stock at this level, it is cable continuing to make inroads when Verizon is unable to offer competing services.

Despite the latest development, Verizon isn't on the cusp of offering television service in New York yet, said spokesman Eric Rabe, who warned a lengthy process was still waiting.

The speculation over getting approval later this year is a "reasonable guess, but still a guess," Rabe said, adding, "It's not a process that's in our control."

The New York franchises for cable providers Time Warner and Cablevision Systems Corp. are also expiring this year following 10-year deals.

Time Warner said its agreement expires in September, and that it expects to begin negotiations with the city shortly.

New York will be looking to ensure the cable companies can continue to meet the changing community interests, said Bruce Regal, senior counsel with the New York City Law Department, adding that a lot of things have changed since the last deal was stuck a decade ago.

-By Roger Cheng, Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-2020; roger.cheng@dowjones.com

(Shira Ovide contributed to this report.)

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

04-14-08 1431ET

Copyright (c) 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

RobNyc
Premium
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY
reply to sunny8294

It looks like its going to be a while since FIOS hits UPTOWN Manhattan. so I'm going to switch to Cable for $29.95 for 12 months since its only $2 more than Verizon DSL that Im paying for

sunny8294
Shqipe

join:2001-03-15
Localhost ;)
reply to tsskiller

I am right on Tratman Avenue

tsskiller

join:2005-07-24
Bronx, NY
reply to sunny8294

said by sunny8294:

Whoa, this Verizon lady knocked on my apartment door today saying if I want FIOS Does it mean FIOS is ready to go on Tratman Avenue?
Where are you located?

Also, I saw another FiOS rollout truck passing by Westchester Ave. and Wilkinson Ave. again while I was coming home on the bus.

sunny8294
Shqipe

Localhost ;)
reply to Network Guy

Whoa, this Verizon lady knocked on my apartment door today saying if I want FIOS Does it mean FIOS is ready to go on Tratman Avenue?
--
.:: Sunny ::.

ddg4005
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to tsskiller

Still nothing in my area. Several Verizon reps have told me that I'd see work being done my block regarding Fios. I wonder if they'll just wire up the CO and use a mix of fiber and copper VDSL style.

Any sign would be encouraging at this point .
--
A man must have a code. -Bunk

tsskiller

Bronx, NY
reply to TKC05

Just an update today. I saw a couple of Verizon trucks by Parkview Ave. and Middletown Rd. by the church (in Pelham Bay) while going downtown on the express bus this afternoon. I will try to ask a Verizon tech of the status of FiOS if I get a chance to do so.

TKC05

join:2004-09-28
Bronx, NY

1 edit
reply to Network Guy

Just lost connection tonight, wondering if anyone else in the Bronx experiencing the same thing.

PS. ONT Failed. Tech cant yesterday and replaced everything.

tsskiller

Bronx, NY
reply to DVRaholic

Well, the trucks passed by Pelham Bay Station a few times, so either they were going back to Tratman or laying fiber (I hope it's the latter).

DVRaholic
Premium
join:2006-01-20
Bronx, NY

1 edit
reply to tsskiller

Next time you see them Just ask them, they wont Bite
Seriously this is how I got a lot of information.

By the way, where in Pelham bay did you see them ??
I lived there for 15 years and still have family there

tsskiller

Bronx, NY
reply to DVRaholic

I've been spotting Verizon cable trucks around the Pelham Bay section for about a month now (including today)...maybe this is a sign for FiOS deployment in a few months.

DVRaholic
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to ddg4005

said by ddg4005:

said by DVRaholic:

Im In the woodlawn area of the bronx (3 blocks from Yonkers border)
and Midak is in Yonkers, at least thats what he says
It's good to hear that some Bronxites have Fios . Can you get Fios TV as well?
Midak can get Fios TV because hes in Yonkers (Not part of NYC)

Us in the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island have to wait till the NYC City contract is signed, Rumors say its going to happen Very soon, but they have been saying that since last year

ddg4005
Premium
Bronx, NY

1 edit
reply to DVRaholic

said by DVRaholic:

Cool. I figured Verizon would wire up near Westchester county before hitting Morris Heights (where I live). There are a lot of tenements in my area which makes me wonder if they employ fiber to the curb and then use copper for last run to apartments. Even though I live in a brownstone this may be the case for me too.

It's good to hear that some Bronxites have Fios . Can you get Fios TV as well?

DVRaholic
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to ddg4005

said by ddg4005:

said by DVRaholic:

said by Midak:

Hey DVR, congrats on your future billing headaches. Might not be so bad with just phone and net but from September to January, my bill was messed up every single month.
Hey Its Midak, Long time no see.
Thanks for your Congrats (I think)

What part of the Bronx do you live if don't mind my asking?

ddg4005
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to DVRaholic

said by DVRaholic:

said by Midak:

Hey DVR, congrats on your future billing headaches. Might not be so bad with just phone and net but from September to January, my bill was messed up every single month.

What part of the Bronx do you live if don't mind my asking?

DVRaholic
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to Midak

said by Midak:

Midak
Doctors suck
Premium
join:2002-02-26
Yonkers, NY
reply to Network Guy

jammmin

join:2000-12-14
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to blaqueknite

said by blaqueknite:

Tratman is the next CO that will be done, but there are a couple issues probably holding things up. Verizon is hoping to have the video franchise approved this summer until that happens no new CO's will be started. Also the union's contract is up in August so there is the possibility of a strike.
As I have suggested before, doesn't it make since to build out as much as possible so that when the video franchise is signed FIOS TV will be available to as much people as possible versus waiting to get the franchise and then you build out.

Verizon is building itself further into a hole by waiting. Bad for them, good for the cable companies.

blaqueknite

reply to sunny8294

Tratman is the next CO that will be done, but there are a couple issues probably holding things up. Verizon is hoping to have the video franchise approved this summer until that happens no new CO's will be started. Also the union's contract is up in August so there is the possibility of a strike.

sunny8294
Shqipe

Localhost ;)
reply to Network Guy

Argh, did they forget there is a CO called Tratman Avenue?

--
.:: Sunny ::.

tsskiller

Bronx, NY
reply to DVRaholic

[Business] Re: Why it took so long

Let's hope that they could wire Tratman just as quickly.

DVRaholic
Premium
Bronx, NY

2 edits
reply to Network Guy

[Business] Why it took so long

The reason it took so long is because as I said in my post I was the FIRST block in my neighborhood to get the Fiber up, My whole neighborhood is wired now (10 blocks wide by 10 blocks long)

Problem was shortly after the fiber went up on my block All work stopped in my neighborhood because as Blaqueknight said in this thread, All workers were moved to areas that could offer Video. Since I am in the Bronx we don't have Video yet.

Work resumed a few months ago and now my Block has been turned on, I am the First block activated as most of the neighborhood still cant order Fios.

So if the work had not stopped for nearly 6 months, Then it would of taken 2-3 months from the Fiber being hung to me being turned on.

Bottom line is Even though it took 9 months, I'm still happy as Hell that I can finally Dump OOL!!!

Yes!

jammmin

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to CopperMux

[Business] Re: YESSSS!!

said by CopperMux:

You're right, it's incredibly easy to run cable in the Bronx. They should have been done in 3 or 4 hours. Ever think there is more to it than what you see?
I understand but there is much more involved when you have undergroun utilities. If it took me two months from when they dug through my yard to get service. It should take much less than that time to overhead wiring.

Its not rocket science.

CopperMux

join:2005-01-18

1 edit
reply to jammmin

You're right, it's incredibly easy to run cable in the Bronx. They should have been done in 3 or 4 hours. Ever think there is more to it than what you see?

jammmin

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to CopperMux

said by CopperMux:

said by jammmin:

said by DVRaholic:

Whooo Hooo!!!!

FINALLY!! 9 months after the Fiber was strung on my Block

(I was the First block in my neighborhood to get the fiber up)

FIOS has been turned ON is available to me!!!!

Installation is scheduled for Saturday.

YES!!!
I think it is pathetic it took 9 months after fiber was strung up in your neighborhood for it to be finally available. At this rate, Verizon will take 50 years to finally catch up to the cable companies.
It's not like they hung it and then sat looking at it for 8 months. It takes time and alot more than splicing and flipping a switch.
When Verizon came through my neighborhood in Maryland(all underground utilities), it took only two months or less from when they dug through my yard for the service to be ready.

Most of the Bronx is overhead wiring which is much easier to install than digging up everyone' yard in my neighborhood, so therefore, I don't believe in this 9 month garbage wait. At this rate, they will never catch up with Cablevision or Time Warner.