Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Shamayim
I already have a Messiah.
Premium
join:2002-09-23
reply to patcat88

[Business] Re: FIOS scheduled for Bronx NY yet?

"Morning! you guys installing fiber by any chance?"
"Morning! could I ask you a question? Any idea when FIOS is gonna get here?"

Has always worked for me.
--
"tick...tick...tick..." »www.jtf.org/

DVRaholic
Premium
join:2006-01-20
Bronx, NY
reply to Shamayim
Cant, I wanted to but like I said I havent seen them since, and I have been Looking real hard!!

DVRaholic
Premium
join:2006-01-20
Bronx, NY
Talked to a Friend of a Friend at Verizon and he said they are starting to lay Fiber near Mount St. Michael Academy (Murdock and Baychester ave) He said my area (Woodlawn) should see it by the beginning of the summer

notsetup

@nycmny.fios.verizon.
reply to Network Guy
Screw the bronx! What year will they get to the backyard telephone poles of Levittown, NY!!!!????

BTW, as per the town of hempstead.. Verizon will have to settle for the same franchise deal they currently give to cablevision for video. Its the best they'll get.

sunny8294
Shqipe

join:2001-03-15
Localhost ;)
Well, Screw Levittown, NY! We want fiber up and running in the Bronx first!!
--
.:: Sunny ::.

Shamayim
Premium
reply to notsetup
I find your entrance into this Bronx thread disturbing...
--

2kmaro
Think
Premium,ExMod 1 BC
join:2000-07-11
ColossalCave
kudos:1
reply to notsetup
said by notsetup :

Screw the bronx! What year will they get to the backyard telephone poles of Levittown, NY!!!!????
I believe that's scheduled to begin immediately after the Bronx is completed.

Question answered.

Lets move on to discussing the Bronx once again.
--
...then THINK! again!!

awk_boy

join:2002-05-15
Bronx, NY
reply to Network Guy
So... does anyone have any meaningful facts or rumors regarding deployment in The Bronx? Any time ranges for area/CO's?

I really hope the time table, if nothing more, has become clearer in the past few months.

Shamayim
Premium
Spoke to a Verizon installer this morning. According to him City Island work has been halted for money reasons. It's still only the Cruger Avenue CO that has it.
--

sunny8294
Shqipe

Localhost ;)
reply to Network Guy
Had an interesting chat with an installer yesterday when I saw him parked with his truck (with a big ORANGE spool in the back of his truck) infront of our Tratman Avenue CO (10461 - Westchester Square Area) yes! I live right on Tratman Avenue next to the CO (yet still too far from CO!). He told me Cruger is being wired up now and they will soon start splicing and important bit was he said next would be us to get wired, about couple of months away from it Now that is some exciting news...well atleast I'm excited.
--

blaqueknite

join:2005-11-08
reply to Network Guy
Hello I am a Verizon Field Technician in the Bronx and I started splicing the cable for Fios this week. The area East of White Plains Road and North Of Gun Hill Road up to the border of Mount Vernon is being done now. This service is being offered to residential customers only. The company has not decided yet what to do with apartment buildings. The company is giving Fios a big push as it sees it as their technology of the future. The plan is to have more than 30,000 homes capable of having the service by August. Originally the plan was to start Tratman next year, but now there is a push to start this year.

sunny8294
Shqipe

Localhost ;)
said by blaqueknite:

Hello I am a Verizon Field Technician in the Bronx and I started splicing the cable for Fios this week. The area East of White Plains Road and North Of Gun Hill Road up to the border of Mount Vernon is being done now. This service is being offered to residential customers only. The company has not decided yet what to do with apartment buildings. The company is giving Fios a big push as it sees it as their technology of the future. The plan is to have more than 30,000 homes capable of having the service by August. Originally the plan was to start Tratman next year, but now there is a push to start this year.
Thanks a lot for your post. Great to hear that Tratman got pushed up . Can I hope that Tratman CO would be started by summer?
--

bronxlcsw

join:2005-09-21
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Optimum Online
I was on that tratman ave co since i live on Buhre ave between mayflower and pilgrim. When i had verizon i got rock solid service but was seduced by OOL. OOL is havinf serious downtime and outages in my area. Whats the prospect of fios in my neighborhood before December? I live in the buhre arms apartment building.

blaqueknite

reply to Network Guy
Nothing is written in stone, but putting in the cable could start in the summer in tratman. Service might not be ready until early 2007. If you live in a apartment building bronxlcsw then you won't be able to get the service. They are only doing private houses right now.

awk_boy

Bronx, NY
reply to Network Guy
Thanks for the updates blaqueknite. They're much appreciated.

I'm also served out of the Tratman CO. Just curious what the policy is with respect to two family houses. I own the building, and live on one of the floors. Would I be able to sign up for FIOS.

Or would I get lumped into the category of "apartment?"

Thanks again!

ddg4005
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Bronx, NY
reply to blaqueknite
I live in a 3-family brownstone on Morris Avenue. My CO is on 170th Street or thereabouts. Any idea when my neigborhood will be wired for Fios? I was told by a Verizon rep that the Mount Hope apartment buildings are already wired up for high speeed Internet service.

blaqueknite

reply to Network Guy
A two family home is considered a private home so you should be able to get the service awk_boy. Do you have utility poles in front of your block? This would make putting service in easier. 167th street CO covers your area ddg4005 that area has many apartment buildings so it may be a while before Fios gets to your area even though you have what would be considered a private home.

ddg4005
Premium
Bronx, NY
Blaqueknite:

Do you know by what method Verizon will deploy Fios to apartment buildings? Will it be an ONT for the building and the use of existing coax cables? What about in the home? Will an RJ-45 jack be installed or will the existing phone jack be used?

I ask these questions because I read that Verizon would use different methods for getting the service into MDUs.

sunny8294
Shqipe

Localhost ;)
reply to Network Guy
I live right on Tratman Avenue but unfortunately I live in an apartment so I guess I gotta wait longer? I thought VZ had some method planned out for apartment buildings?
--

awk_boy

Bronx, NY
reply to blaqueknite
Thanks again blaqueknite. Glad to hear that 2 family homes are not considered MDU's.

To answer your question, yes there are utility poles. No underground work necessary!

Is there any way I could volunteer to pilot FIOS in the area?

blaqueknite

reply to Network Guy
Verizon needs to negotiate right of way with each apartment building owner this is one of the reason it may take longer for apartments. Some building owners have negotiated exclusive rights with a cable company like cablevision so they may not be able to get into the building at all. Also getting fiber into actual building might be a issue are there poles, does a underground conduit need to be placed. I am sure the company wants to bring Fios to as many people it can in the Bronx, more customers mean more money. If the existing coax cable belongs to cablevision ddg4005 Verizon cannot touch it . A ONT to the basement is one option and yes special wiring is needed for the apartment. I don't know of any special program to volunteer for awk_boy , but having your neighbors call Verizon and expressing interest in Fios may help speed things along.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
I'm on Castle Hill and Havemeyer, also serviced from the Tratman CO. It would be such a treat to see FiOS rollout this soon, as I didn't expect the Bronx to see it at all for a long while.

The poles here run along the backyards. In my case, someone needs to be home to grant Verizon access back there, unless one of the neighbors let you in from their backyard. How much of a problem does that pose for the rollout?

TKC05

join:2004-09-28
Bronx, NY
reply to Network Guy
Saw some activity on 225th and bronxwood today, they were running new lines, not sure what it was though.

sunny8294
Shqipe

Localhost ;)
reply to Network Guy
Thats probably fiber my friend!
--

ddg4005
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to Network Guy
I hope I don't have to wait 15 years before Fios is available to all Morris Heights. That would be a sad state of affairs .

awk_boy

Bronx, NY
Just living in Morris Heights for 15 years would be a sad state of affairs. (just kidding... couldn't resist)

ddg4005
Premium
Bronx, NY
S'all good man .

blaqueknite

reply to Network Guy
Backyard poles are not so bad all the work will just have to be done on ladders.

TKC05

join:2004-09-28
Bronx, NY
seems like they are almost done how long will it be until I'm able to order fios. I also live in a 3 family building will that be a problem with the installation.

puting

@verizon.net
I am stuck with verizon 3mb/768 on bronx 10461 i dont wanna get ool cause of cap,i really wanna get FIOS 15/2,i heard 15/2 package going to be $30 month?is this true cause i am paying $30 for verizon dsl.