how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kassiemeyahoocom

@twtelecom.net
reply to captnhook

Re: Problem after MS update KB891711

Yup, same here. I didnt even know my computer installed it. I thought it was a virus when I saw it running in the background! It made my computer crash sooo many times. I was soo mad. I finally deleted it. Shoot I dont think u need it, Ive been fine without it!

cool and groovy

@telus.net
reply to captnhook
Well.....after so many times reformatting and reinstalling 98se..........urrgh, I am going to wait and see if these problems are fixed. I just got my computer "bug free" and want to keep it that way..........What a pain in the a$$

vmill63

@dialsprint.net
reply to Gianni45
I have Windows 98 and Internet Explorer 6.0.
I keep getting the error reading (A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E). If I log on the my internet server, Bluelight, and try to log onto Explorer, I get the reading.
However, if I open Internet Explorer before logging on to Bluelight, I can change then open up the previously opened IE window and log on into the internet. But once in, If I try to open up another IE window, I get the error reading. It also occurs when I'm on line and try to open another window.
Can someone help?

FOUND SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM *******IMPORTANT************

In retrospect, the above problem started after I had downloaded some critical updates from Microsoft---------Today, I read an article on cnet where someone called MS tech support and he says they said: "Got with a tech support guy fairly quickly and he explained that the KB891711 patch was not required for WIN98, even though the Windows Update service called it a critical update" .
So, I uninstalled the update, rebooted, and my problem disappeared.
Microsoft should be putting out a message to everyone about this glitch.

see-----»www.microsoft.com/technet/Securi···002.mspx

Thanks and I hope this helps someone else.

NanDog
The Pup Was Female, I'M Not
Premium
join:2003-12-28
reply to captnhook
Hmmm....I've been following this thread since its inception last week. Given the probs some of you folks have had with 98 and Me, I'm gonna hold off on installing this update on my 98se box. Thanks for the info!
--
See ya across the Rainbow Bridge, my good and faithful friend!

mers2
Premium,MVM
join:2004-03-20
USA
kudos:8
reply to captnhook
I'm one of those with WinME who orignally updated and had no problems. However, I've noticed my previously rock solid system has developed some strange quirks since the update with errors i wasn't getting before. Nothing major, just annoying so I'm going to uninstall KB891711.
--
God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now, I am so far behind I will never die.

dp
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA
kudos:7
reply to NanDog
said by NanDog:

Hmmm....I've been following this thread since its inception last week. Given the probs some of you folks have had with 98 and Me, I'm gonna hold off on installing this update on my 98se box. Thanks for the info!
Same here, I haven't installed 891711 yet and now will be holding off on it for sure.
--
Write your questions down on the back of a $20 dollar bill and send them to me

DrDemento

@brick101.nj.comcast.
reply to captnhook
Add me to those who have had a problem with this update on a 98SE machine. Lock ups on opening IE so I had to uncheck the box in start-up using safe mode. Have not uninstalled this problem child yet hoping that MS will offer a fix at some time in the near future but if it becomes more problematic will try to get rid of it with add/remove programs in safe mode also. Anyone have any problems after removing this "fix"?

hahb

join:2005-03-19
Poughkeepsie, NY
Hi Dr.Demento - I posted this on another forum last week:

"I am running Windows ME. Since I downloaded the hotfix, IE had been crashing as well as Netscape and Firefox. I removed KB891711.exe using the Add/Remove program utility in Control Panel. Immediately, my system crashed completely. Error message on start-up indicated that C:\Windows\System\VM32.VXD file was missing or corrupted. I could not reboot, even into safemode. I was forced to delete Windows and re-install it.

When I updated Windows, I downloaded everything EXCEPT that Hotfix."

I have sent e-mails to Microsoft but, of course, have gotten no response. I can't believe that they're still offering KB891711 as an update. I am coming to the conclusion that they're trying to force us to upgrade our operating systems by destroying them. I am running only on 64MB of ram: an upgrade at this point is not practical. However, my next computer may be a MAC.

Gianni45

join:2004-08-22
For this particular troublesome patch, you also must manually remove the executable KB891711.EXE. THis is unusual, but is necessary here.

»forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=12319

DrDemento

@brick101.nj.comcast.
reply to captnhook
Thanks for the feedback-now how does one remove the KB891711 executable manually after removing the patch via add/remove programs?

Gianni45

reply to captnhook
i just asked Mr.Jim Eshelman himself the same question...;)

sbkansas
Actual Example
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-10
Hays, KS
You will find the file here: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711, right click , delete (window 98se)

Gianni45

1 edit
hmmm, not sure if this will suffice...check all this stuff too:

»aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=12215
and
»www.computing.net/windows95/wwwb···531.html
and
»www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/wi···10643641

problems, problems, problems...

Hartmeister

@ash.wi.ch
reply to captnhook

Re: Problem after MS update KB891711- Solved!

I have ContentProtect (a family internet filtering program) installed on my computer on my computer so it may be with any program which installs which does some filtering. Maybe KB891711 conflicts with these programs or does not get past the filtering program gets into some sort of loop problem. I too have unchecked the program. However, I was getting prepared to do my annual/semiannual format the computer and start from scratch routine. Until I saw this thread I thought it was an acceleration of my problems. I guess I could get by without doing this for a while, but it gives me a good excuse to start from scratch.

David Hart

@ash.wi.ch
reply to Gianni45

Re: Problem after MS update KB891711

Do you have Zone Alarm?

noel_pr1

join:2005-03-14
Los Angeles, CA
reply to captnhook
A few weeks ago I did install the KB891711 updates on my WinME system and on my next-door neighbor's old Intel P1 (75mhz) machine with Win98fe and did not have any 'blue screen' crashes. And I DONT have Zone Alarm nor any 3rd party proxy software such as proxomitron installed. My guess is that the KB891711 updates for W98 & WME conflict with certain firewall & proxy software.

if you guys are using such software then you should remove the KB891711 patches off your machines.

yeah Microsoft has their work cut out for them to redo the KB891711 Win98/ME security updates so that the problems they have caused earlier would be fixed.

sbkansas, you can not delete the 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711' folder unless you close the KB891711.exe file first. Press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys to bring up the task manager and click on the KB891711.exe file to close it; better yet get a tool called Coolkill (search for this at Google) and use it to close the KB891711.exe file.

Mowergun

join:2004-02-15
Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Consolidated Com..
reply to captnhook
Hmmm, this is odd. I had no problems whatsoever after installing KB891711. KB891711 appears in add/remove and the associated executable was added to my start up group in msconfig and appeared as a running task when I hit ctrl/alt/del. I am running Win98SE.

The odd thing is that today the executable in my start up group disappeared and it no longer appears as a running task. KB891711 still appears in add/remove. The only thing that I did recently was to go to »downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts···ctID=816 and downloaded and installed the latest Chipset Software Installation Utility. I don't see why this would have any connection to the disappearance of the KB891711 executable from msconfig.

It's a mystery, fortunately I still am having no problems whatsoever.

G35

@comcast.net
reply to captnhook
Does it make a difference uninstalling this patch compared to just preventing it from start up if you have it installed?

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA
said by G35:

Does it make a difference uninstalling this patch compared to just preventing it from start up if you have it installed?
It didn't for me. I ran for a week or so with it turned off via msconfig. I turned it back on and then uninstalled it (via Safe Mode) a couple of days ago and all is still well...

coolza

@167.1.x.x

1 recommendation

reply to JoefromMass
Hi guys, this is in reply to all people who have had problems with the kb891711 update.
I am a tech support at microsoft, and i deal with this atleast twice a day.
The problem with kb891711 is this it allows remote code execution ,which conflicts with the ndis.vxd system driver.
This causes the system to either crash at boot or when going online.
My recommendation to all you guys is to take the item out of msconfig-->startup but don't uninstall it from the add/remove.
The reason is if u uninstall it,it will try to load again during the next update.
Don't worry a patch for this is underway and would soon be available.

SirSteve
Premium
join:2003-11-28
Woodbury, CT
said by coolza:

Hi guys, this is in reply to all people who have had problems with the kb891711 update.
The problem with kb891711 is this it allows remote code execution ,which conflicts with the ndis.vxd system driver.
My recommendation to all you guys is to take the item out of msconfig-->startup but don't uninstall it from the add/remove.
The reason is if u uninstall it,it will try to load again during the next update.
Thanks for the info. I'm one of those lucky ones who hasn't had any problems with it (WinMe) so I *guess* I don't have to remove it from startup.

hahb

join:2005-03-19
Poughkeepsie, NY

1 recommendation

reply to coolza
This may be a stupid question, but why doesn't Microsoft simply remove this critical update as an option for Windows 98/ME users until it's been fixed? I can guess that there are a lot of people, not reading these forums, who, after downloading it, are screaming in agony when their systems crash.

said by coolza:

JackCam614
Premium
join:2000-08-24
New Hyde Park, NY

2 edits
reply to dp
said by dp:

said by NanDog:

Same here, I haven't installed 891711 yet and now will be holding off on it for sure.
Ditto and Ditto.;)

Yet another reason I am soooooo appreciative of this forum and all of its helpful members. I've made a habit of always reviewing the Security Forum before DL'ing any critical updates. 98SE on this box, XP Pro SP2 on others, N/A.

Have to agree with above poster, hahb, why the H--L is Windows Updates still offering this 'Critical Update' knowing that it is causing such serious problems?

Jack

TONIO1960

@w82-126.abo.wanadoo.
reply to captnhook
I had exactly the same experience. Systematic crashes when opening IE or in some cases even using the file browser.
I first believed something was wrong with IE and reinstalled it as well as Mozilla, but both were crashing.
Now I am starting to crash as soon as windows starts.
If I needed any confirmation that microsoft sucks, this is it.
They should stick to "if it's not broken, don't fix it".
Since you seem to have gotten out of it, there should still be hope for me. (I am writing this from my second computer, hoping to get the first one back up)

NanDog
The Pup Was Female, I'M Not
Premium
join:2003-12-28
reply to coolza
said by coolza:

It'd sure be nice if corporate would acknowledge the problem rather than simply an anonymous MS employee!!!
--
See ya across the Rainbow Bridge, my good and faithful friend!

remoteleg

join:2005-03-28
Richmond, BC
reply to captnhook
I'm running Windows 98 SE and have installed the Kb891711 update.

Internet Explorer *always* dies with a BSOD and several games abort (no BSOD) if I run Kazaa Lite. This happens even if I shut down Kazaa Lite before running the other programs.

If I do not run Kazaa Lite, everything is fine.
If I reboot after running Kazaa Lite, everything is fine.

JimCMarch

@dsl.snfc21.pacbell.n
reply to TONIO1960
I, too, accepted the KB891711 automatic update. I, too, had problems (blue screen when I started IE). And now, after trying to reboot many times, I am unable to boot my computer AT ALL! I don't even get to start in safe mode! I don't know what to do. I have switched to my Linux machine (maybe it's time to cut the cord with Microsoft)...

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to coolza
said by coolza:

Eh? W98SE does not have AUTO UPDATING. What are you talking about? Just uninstall it, if you have it, and don't visit WU until there is a fix. If you do go to WU after uninstalling or if you haven't yet installed it (like me) just ignore it. If you want to install something else at WU, then just remove this patch from the list. That is very easy to do. There is no reason to not uninstall it if it is giving you problems.

I have NO intention of installing it. And I'm calling Microsoft tomorrow to find out when a patch for the patch is expected. Why isn't this being discussed in the official MS update thread? That is where it should be. W98 and ME users deserve better than an anon post from someone who can't spell purporting to be MS employee. Why hasn't MS issued an announcement about this? If MS is going to support an OS then it needs to do so properly.
--
The first and foremost function of our jurors is to protect private citizens from a tyrannical and intrusive government...Jurors are the last line of defense for liberty. Thomas Jefferson 1789

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to captnhook
EVERYONE IN THE USA WITH A PROBLEM WITH KB891711 NEEDS TO CALL:
1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338).

The team working on a fix has made this request.

I got this information from the WU NG. Here's the full post:

Friday, March 25, 2005 7:25 AM

I've received a request from the team that's working on the
KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had problems
with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can help
them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not yet
received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than has
been reported thus far.

(According to at least a couple of people, when they called PSS they
were told that KB891711 wasn't a critical problem on Win98 and to just
uninstall it. KB891711 deals with a very *serious* vulnerability,
affecting pretty much all Windows systems, and anyone who can't get
patched decently should don at *least* a dozen condoms before journeying
out onto the internet.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
--
The first and foremost function of our jurors is to protect private citizens from a tyrannical and intrusive government...Jurors are the last line of defense for liberty. Thomas Jefferson 1789

SUMware
Premium
join:2002-05-21
kudos:2

1 recommendation

I called about 30 minutes ago. Spoke with 2 different people (in India?) who very politely took my information & confirmed that MS acknowledges the problem and is working on a fix.

I was instructed not to re-install KB891711, and told that a fixed patch would be issued under a different number (release date unknown).