Al Swearengen
@comcast.net

Al Swearengen to illJazz

Anon

to illJazz

Re: [Free] Awesome Registry Cleaner-Windows Cleaner 2005

Registry cleaners will eventually bite you in the ass. Here's one example:
»Problem with XP /Nvidia

And remember, a botched registry doesn't necessarily mean catastrophic failure. It can be the cause of many minor, nagging problems that get blamed on software or hardware.

I don't use registry cleaners, and it took me years to learn the lesson. You have to ask yourself if the negligible and unsubstantiated gains in performance are worth the potential trouble.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

1 edit

jabarnut

Premium Member

Re: Sore Butt

said by Al Swearengen:

Registry cleaners will eventually bite you in the ass.
Why couldn't I have said it like that???

I just wrote a total of four posts, approaching the size of a small Encyclopedia, and all I was trying to say was the exact same thing!

illJazz
Premium Member
join:2002-09-04
Zurich

illJazz

Premium Member

said by jabarnut:
said by Al Swearengen:

Registry cleaners will eventually bite you in the ass.
Why couldn't I have said it like that???

I just wrote a total of four posts, approaching the size of a small Encyclopedia, and all I was trying to say was the exact same thing!
Now you know how it's done

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

jabarnut

Premium Member

said by illJazz:

Now you know how it's done
Yes, but if I had said it that way, everyone would have missed out on all that wonderful reading material!

(Not!)

illJazz
Premium Member
Zurich

illJazz to purelander

Premium Member

to purelander

lol!

I couldn't even get to the end of your last monster-post.. my attention span ran away
--
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Who needs sigs? Pay attention to the above! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

jabarnut

Premium Member

Re: [Free] Awesome Registry Cleaner-Windows Cleane

Sorry to change the subject for a minute, but did all the "quote boxes" in the former posts just disappear, or is it just me???
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

illJazz
Premium Member
Zurich

illJazz to purelander

Premium Member

to purelander

holy crap you're right.. somebody's messin with the site again ;)

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

jabarnut

Premium Member

Thanks for confirming....thought I was losing my mind! (again)
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.
Kiwi88
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Bryant, AR

2 edits

1 recommendation

Kiwi88 to illJazz

Premium Member

to illJazz

said by illJazz:

.. and don't see them as being very dangerous. I do agree that you should know what you're doing if you intend to use a registry cleaner...
There she blows right up, in your face The point remains, from my perspective that one must either wait some considerable time, until a cleaner actually defines the action performed; correlates with the desired result.

There is still no GUI interface that I have seen, that a newb could use or even people a wee bit smarter; that understands the end result of any Reg cleaner. As has been mentioned by salzan, caution with good reason.

Hey, jabarnut ..Think you had some great points...Lol

{Edit} Yer, messing with DSLR again, some people, really need to get a life or find a way to spend their time on constructive *Hug* stuff & leave Evil out the door for 2"

Cheers
Indy Sabre
Sabre Rider From Indianapolis
join:2003-10-02

Indy Sabre to salzan

to salzan

Thanks for the post on CCleaner, I was trying to figure out if it was a good registry cleaner for me.

I have been using RegScrubXP - »www.majorgeeks.com/downl ··· det=2048

and it didn't find any of those things so I was leary of letting CC do its thing.

With RegScrubXP it automatically keeps a back up everytime I clean. I found it here in an old thread when I was looking specifically for a cleaner that wasn't overly agressive.

So my take is, that unless you fully understand everything your cleaner is doing (which i don't), pick one that isn't too agressive and one that automatically keeps restore files in an easy uto use interface should you need to restore something you cleaned that you shouldn't of.

jjc1
join:2004-07-26
Brantford, ON

1 edit

jjc1

CCleaner does provide a backup/restore function before removing invalid registry entries it finds. After it completes its scan and you click on "fix selected issues", CCleaner pops up a window asking if you want to create a backup and the choice where you want the backup saved.I've created a file called CCleaner Reg. Backup where I keep the backups.
Indy Sabre
Sabre Rider From Indianapolis
join:2003-10-02

Indy Sabre

Thanks for the info, I knew that. In the app I mentioned it is automated and there is a one button click to see all of your backups from within the GUI.

I love CCleaner but for me it just isn't my reg cleaner of choice.
malirene
join:2005-03-30
8l87n3

malirene to purelander

to purelander

WC 3.5.0.0 beta 2 with new interface is out
malirene

malirene to purelander

to purelander
WC beta 3 is out.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg to purelander

to purelander
I'm lazy. I like doing FULL installs of my software as I get tired of popping in a CD. So, when I installed Print Artist V12, I elected to put on everything. 7 disc's of data/graphics/fonts. I slammed in MS Publisher 2k, MS Home publisher. Fonts, graphics, and more fonts. I won't mention MS office 2003, wordperfect office and various other space/registry hungry programs.. The ole registry gets so big, I've seen my 500mhz P3 just about out perform my 2.4ghz P4/HT. Twice the ram, 10times the HD space. The registry gets way too big and performance drags in a big way. I got to where I would boot up and go take a shower and comeback just as it was loading it's 38 processes.

Mess with the registry? That's what backups are for. That's what reg restore is for. I've never had a PC that I had to "reinstall everything" because of registry issue. I had hardware issue after an install that required me to "go back" to a previous registry backup but I'm just a average user with enough PC background to get myself out of trouble but it's taken working with win 3.0, 3.1, workgroups, 95, 98se, and now XP to gain the ability to not fear anything MS has to offer. So, when you REALLY want to get ride of anything from, lets say Symantec, do you trust the UNINSTALL program to clean it out? No, I don't and for good reason. It leaves all kinds of junk behind. Cleaning your registry may not give you the boost in speed your looking for but it does help weed out future software issues.