how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gianni45

join:2004-08-22
reply to captnhook

Re: Problem after MS update KB891711

I'm on Win98SE and i removed KB891711 from my system today (via Add/Remove Programs applet) after getting many BSODs - since i installed it - at random but always attempting to open Internet Explorer !

Fatal Exception Error 06 at 0000 : 00001FF6.

Windows Update does NOT offer anymore to d/l this "Critical Update" NOW, so it's really not "necessary"...;)

btw NO Proxomitron here.

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

said by Gianni45:

I'm on Win98SE and i removed KB891711 from my system today (via Add/Remove Programs applet) after getting many BSODs - since i installed it - at random but always attempting to open Internet Explorer !

Fatal Exception Error 06 at 0000 : 00001FF6.
I had the exact same experience and removed it in safe mode. It seems hard to believe this was not discovered on a 98SE machine before it was released.
--
Gary in South Carolina

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA
reply to Gianni45

I'm running Win ME here at work and Win Update still offers to download it here. I killed my 98SE on KB 891711 last night so I'm not biting on it today...

vmill63

@dialsprint.net
reply to Gianni45

I have Windows 98 and Internet Explorer 6.0.
I keep getting the error reading (A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E). If I log on the my internet server, Bluelight, and try to log onto Explorer, I get the reading.
However, if I open Internet Explorer before logging on to Bluelight, I can change then open up the previously opened IE window and log on into the internet. But once in, If I try to open up another IE window, I get the error reading. It also occurs when I'm on line and try to open another window.
Can someone help?

FOUND SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM *******IMPORTANT************

In retrospect, the above problem started after I had downloaded some critical updates from Microsoft---------Today, I read an article on cnet where someone called MS tech support and he says they said: "Got with a tech support guy fairly quickly and he explained that the KB891711 patch was not required for WIN98, even though the Windows Update service called it a critical update" .
So, I uninstalled the update, rebooted, and my problem disappeared.
Microsoft should be putting out a message to everyone about this glitch.

see-----»www.microsoft.com/technet/Securi···002.mspx

Thanks and I hope this helps someone else.

David Hart

@ash.wi.ch
reply to Gianni45

Do you have Zone Alarm?