spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TeleGirl
join:2004-03-15
Olathe, KS

TeleGirl

Disabling Call Waiting/In search of a busy signal

Which VoIP companies, if any, allow you to toggle on/off call waiting AND have the caller get a busy signal if I'm on the phone? I don't mean the *70 disable call waiting, which only works on a per call and outgoing call basis.

So I guess I also need to option to simultaneously disable voicemail...

Here's my situation...I work from home, and my job routes calls to the agents. Our home telephone numbers are programmed in the ACD queue. Currently, I have a seperate POTS line w/no features, so that if I'm on a call, the switch will 'see' the busy signal and go to the next available homebased agent. I can't have call waiting because the caller's phone would just ring and ring while I'm on a call; and I can't have voicemail (w/call waiting), because the caller would go to my voicemail.

I want to get rid of that POTS line, and I know some companies tout "you can disable call waiting" but from their sites it seems that this feature sends the caller to voicemail, and that's the only option. TIA

laserjobs
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Las Vegas, NV

2 edits

laserjobs

Premium Member

Re: Disabling Call Waiting/In search of a busy sig

I know with Lingo you could just turn off voicemail and call waiting on the web portal.

FYI here are Lingo's star codes:

*65 Caller ID Allow per Call
*67 Caller ID Block per Call
*73 Call Forwarding Always Off
*72 Call Forwarding Always On
*91 Call Forwarding Busy Off
*90 Call Forwarding Busy On
*93 Call Forwarding No Answer Off
*92 Call Forwarding No Answer On
*69 Call Return
*99 Clear Voice Message Waiting Indicator
*79 Do Not Disturb Off
*78 Do Not Disturb On
*66 Last Number Redial
*74 Speed Dial 8
*70 Turn off Call Waiting per Call
lmjh7065
Premium Member
join:2001-04-04
Cincinnati, OH

3 edits

lmjh7065 to TeleGirl

Premium Member

to TeleGirl

Re: Disabling Call Waiting/In search of a busy signal

I believe QuantumVoice may have what you are looking for. You can turn Voice Mail ON/OFF from the web interface and also change the amount of seconds it takes for VM to answer.

In addition to turning off Call Waiting (*70), for the current call only, you can also use Do Not Disturb (*78) which sends all calls to VM and the phone does not ring. Only problem with this is that if voice mail is turned off then you would still not get a busy signal, just a continued ring signal.

The only problem I have is that I don't have their conventional VoIP service, but their 800 unlimited VoIP, which I believe the star codes and features may be somewhat different.

You can check them out at the following link:

»quantumvoice.com/index.shtml

EDIT: Looks like you can disable Call Waiting permanently by dialing *57, to turn back on dial #56. Again I'm not sure this works on both QV standard VoIP and 800 VoIP - never tried it.

2ND EDIT: The *57/56 works on my 800 VoIP service, but the problem is you can go into your web portal and have a busy signal sent under "Call Treatment" but I don't believe you can do this to all callers, just numbers you assign.

3RD EDIT: It is very very difficult these days to just get a busy signal unless you have a POTS line with no features. Cell phones usually have VM and even with POTS VM it can handle two simultaneous calls to VM. So taking my POTS line off the hook will usually not even get a busy signal even with two incoming calls at once.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur to TeleGirl

Premium Member

to TeleGirl

I'd definitely steer clear of the Lingo'ing craziness unless you are bored and feel like fixing your own VoIP problems.

VoicePulse offers the ability to turn off call waiting and voicemail in the web portal.
Hooper
Premium Member
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO

Hooper

Premium Member

said by digiblur:

I'd definitely steer clear of the Lingo'ing craziness unless you are bored and feel like fixing your own VoIP problems.

VoicePulse offers the ability to turn off call waiting and voicemail in the web portal.
*120 allows you to turn off voicemail from the phone additionally. Call Waiting permanently disable requires a setting change on the TA and can only be done via the website. It might also take a few minutes.

»www.voicepulse.com/featu ··· uts.aspx

kenn10
join:2003-09-10
Highlands, NC

kenn10 to TeleGirl

to TeleGirl

With Vonage, you can turn off calls waiting and turn off voice mail so the caller will get a busy signal. These features are all easily accessed from the user web portal. I'm in a similar situation to you and use that ability on my business line.
Fisamo
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Apex, NC

Fisamo

Premium Member

With ATT CV you can disable call waiting, but you can't disable voicemail. Sounds like ATT won't meet your needs.
TeleGirl
Olathe, KS

TeleGirl

Thanks so much to all who have replied. I'll check out/compare Vonage and VoicePulse start up costs and pricing. From reading past posts and reviews, it appears that VoicePulse is very reliable, and that Vonage is generally reliable as well.

I did find out last night that Nuvio also has this functionality, and while I've read good things about them here, I'll have to reasearch them a bit more.

P.S.
If anyone has Broadvoice or Sunrocket, and can let me know if they can do this too, please chime in. So far they seem to have the most affordable start-up costs.

Thanks again.

tacobell7191
@zoominternet.net

tacobell7191

Anon

yes you can turn off voicemail and call waiting with broadvoice as well

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

2 edits

usa2k to TeleGirl

MVM

to TeleGirl

Re: Disabling Call Wait/In search of a busy signal

BroadvoxDirect with the "Follow-Me" will use that in place of call waiting. They also have a call _____ when busy.

»www.broadvoxdirect.com/t ··· tal.html

I did some tests.
(Assigning an empty Follow-Me) had call waiting
(Assigning my BVX number in Follow-Me) had call waiting
(Assigning the BVX number for the "If busy" in Follow-Me) had call waiting

Seems that only when a valid forwarding number exists, does it not do call waiting.
TeleGirl
Olathe, KS

1 recommendation

TeleGirl

tacobell7191, Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!

usa2k, it's funny, I was just on the phone with BroadVox Direct before reading your post. The rep told me that I can disable/enable call waiting by doing *57/*56 respectively, however, I'd need to have BroadVox disable the voicemail function in order for the caller to receive a busy signal (instead of voicemail), while I'm on the phone. She said the toggle of voicemail isn't accessible from the user end. Thanks so much for testing, and for all your help.

At this point I prefer VoicePulse and Broadvoice (in that ordr), however:

VoicePulse currently doesn't have my rate center (not really a deal breaker); but since I need to turn the new telphone in number to work by Monday, I don't think Voxilla can get me the Sipura 2000 by Friday.

So for now, it looks like it's going to be Vonage (which was my 3rd choice anwyay).

Oh the irony of actually seeking the busy signal that telecom has been trying to elimate for the last 20 years!

P8Support
Premium Member
join:2004-05-24
Santa Clara, CA

P8Support to TeleGirl

Premium Member

to TeleGirl
I assume you are referring to Packet8 Freedom Unlimited:

You can disable voicemail via your web interface or IVR 012-0005 option 1. You can also disable call waiting by:

CALL WAITING DISABLE *70
You can disable call waiting on a per call basis and send all new callers to voicemail or present a busy tone if voicemail is disabled while you are on a phone call. By dialing *70 before making your call, you disable the call waiting for that call. This is a Packet8 feature that is always free of extra charge.

Other features are explained at:

»www.packet8.net/about/fe ··· ures.asp

If you are using Virtual Office you would have other options available to a small business like ring groups. Here is a link to more information:

»www.packet8.net/about/vi ··· fice.asp
TeleGirl
Olathe, KS

TeleGirl

said by P8Support:

I assume you are referring to Packet8 Freedom Unlimited:

You can disable voicemail via your web interface or IVR 012-0005 option 1. You can also disable call waiting by:

CALL WAITING DISABLE *70
You can disable call waiting on a per call basis and send all new callers to voicemail or present a busy tone if voicemail is disabled while you are on a phone call. By dialing *70 before making your call, you disable the call waiting for that call. This is a Packet8 feature that is always free of extra charge.

Other features are explained at:

»www.packet8.net/about/fe ··· ures.asp

If you are using Virtual Office you would have other options available to a small business like ring groups. Here is a link to more information:

»www.packet8.net/about/vi ··· fice.asp
Hi P8Support!

Unfortunately, *70 doesn't help me, as it's for outgoing calls only. What I need happen is:

1. My phone rings (I'm talking)
2. Someone calls my number (while I'm talking)
Result: Busy Signal.

Currently, they'll either get voice mail, or continuous ringing (if I disable voicemail).

I called tech support, and they sent an email to an engineer to have call waiting disabled until further notice, as they were not able to do it themselves.

Thanks so much!