All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

adslreport
join:2004-01-26

adslreport to cbrain

to cbrain

Re: FIOS - First 7 days reviewed

I would like to order, but I understand that they have to change something with your phone line, and if the power goes out you can't use the phone anymore? Is there anyway to avoid this?

Thanks
gamepro100
join:2004-07-27
Brooklyn, NY

gamepro100

They remove copper wires to your house.
You still have 5 hours of talk time if the power goes out, because of a backup battery that works when the power fails.

adslreport
join:2004-01-26

adslreport

said by gamepro100:

meaning Comcast cable or internet won't work?
cbrain (banned)
join:2000-05-21
Silver Spring, MD

2 recommendations

cbrain (banned)

No. They leave the plumbing and other non-Verizon copper.
xbox junkie
join:2004-07-30
Lakeland, FL

xbox junkie

From what I have heard the tech's don't cut the phone line if you ask them not to. You do not have to get VOIP you can keep your existing phone service.

compitalia
Verizon Fios Here I Come
join:2004-12-12
Wantagh, NY

compitalia

xobx junkie -- they do cut the copper. they convert it to fiber.
Sirion8
join:2004-01-27
Tampa, FL

Sirion8 to adslreport

to adslreport
said by adslreport:

I would like to order, but I understand that they have to change something with your phone line, and if the power goes out you can't use the phone anymore? Is there anyway to avoid this?
The techs will install a UPS that will power the FiOS ONT for 24 hours if the power goes out.
xbox junkie
join:2004-07-30
Lakeland, FL

xbox junkie

you cannot convert copper to fiber optic cable, and like i said that is what i have read in other threads. and i know that I am correct.
Morgon99
join:2005-01-17
Glen Burnie, MD

Morgon99

I think what he meant was that they 'replace' the fiber with the copper.

However, I will concur with xobx (tough to spell it that way!) that there have been threads regarding the ability to keep copper telephone service, and just have fiber next to it.

Whether this has changed, I have no idea, but I can at least vouch for x's sanity.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

1 edit

1 recommendation

JTRockville

Premium Member

said by Morgon99:

...there have been threads regarding the ability to keep copper telephone service, and just have fiber next to it.
I dug one up for anyone who wants to read it:

This conversation
»Re: FIOS Installation is a go in Montgomery County

Is part of this (much larger) topic
»FIOS Installation is a go in Montgomery County, MD

There's also a topic from last summer in the Fiber Deployment Center:
When it's lit.. what happens to copper?, Will existing copper lines be removed?
cool8man
join:2005-03-16

cool8man to gamepro100

to gamepro100
said by gamepro100:

You still have 5 hours of talk time if the power goes out, because of a backup battery that works when the power fails.
Uh oh that sounds like a potential deal breaker for a lot of people. The owners of this residence would never put up with that crap. We lose power frequently, sometimes for long periods of time, so phones dying is not an option here. A battery backup is not good enough. Half of NY lost power for more than 24 hours in 2003. As I recall a huge portion of that enormous power outage was spent on the telepone here. Just a little wind and we tend to lose power for hours.

Why does Verizon cut your reliable copper lines? I want faster internet service, but not at the expense of the rock solid reliability of our telephone service. It could be the apocalypse and our phones would probably still be working for days. Lose the power and you lose your phones, this is one of the main reasons why I would never even consider switching to Optimum's telephone service.

Also how much are the taxes and surcharges for FiOS? Right now there are no taxes or surcharges for OOL and it is exactly $45 every single month. The telephone and cellphone bills on the otherhand have enough surcharges and taxes to make your head spin.
JohnA4
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

JohnA4

Premium Member

If you insist on it for safety reasons, they will leave your phone service on the copper. They are not insisting on copper removal, now.

ah-I-agree
@optonline.net

ah-I-agree to cool8man

Anon

to cool8man
There's the achilles heal to the fios with phone service on the ONT: its a digital powered unit, thus your phone is packet based, but they can still charge you all those fees and taxes even though there isn't much of a hill of beans between the way fios delivers phone and verizon delivers phone.... both will go out if there is no power. But then again.. when we had that major blackout.. phone sevice was very spotty at best, and dead after 24 hours becuase the cost of generators to run over 24 hours is simply nor worth the cost of generation based on profit ratio.. so even that was best effort... it took almost a week to get proper power back into the power grid during that anomoly.. I personally believe they need a 24 hour+ batter backup system for this to really be reasonably reliable.... which is to say you'd need what 4-6 batteries to shove in there or hook up in series? nah, it needs to get better... insist on a better backup system or cut out those taxes and fees and switch to voip.. (take note: verizon's voip is limited to about 3000 minutes a month pseudo normal usage)
It just cries out for making a minimum phone line service and getting voip from a competitor for less... they should just give consumers what they want/need. Better terms on the phone service and better guaranteed service or keep your copper... (which I've heard they will do if you insist- but if your paying those taxes and fees.. KEEP THE COPPER until they get a better backup system) otherwise, they win (ie make more money off you then they should) and you get less reliable service for it...
Ztp1112
join:2005-03-18
Springfield, VA

Ztp1112

Why not buy you own batt back up if your house has power so does everything in it?

Murphy_75062
@verizon.com

Murphy_75062 to adslreport

Anon

to adslreport
You still have 5 hrs of talk time - but you can buy a cheap back up supply and will continue to work longer - have it hooked to my FIOS ONt and to my PC equiment so my VoIp works as well
mistrb01
Premium Member
join:2003-05-02
Upper Marlboro, MD

mistrb01 to gamepro100

Premium Member

to gamepro100
Do they drill a hole in your house to run the fiber?