spc
uniqs
tramm79
join:2004-03-22
Lewisville, TX

tramm79 to cbrain

to cbrain

Re: FIOS - First 7 days reviewed

I am curious on your cost of $55 per month. Does that include all the fee and taxes? What is the definition of a "limited phone line".

I currently have Comcast's digital phone service and I am wondering if it makes sense to switch that line to Verizon when ordering FIOS.

I was expecting to pay $39.95 (plus tax) for FIOS and my Comcast phone service costs me $34 (incl. tax, no long distance). $55 for both sounds pretty attractive.
cbrain (banned)
join:2000-05-21
Silver Spring, MD

cbrain (banned)

It's an estimate including fees and taxes, I haven't seen my first bill yet. You must check your local Verizon plans. The phone line includes no features or outgoing calls.

vznrepNY
@optonline.net

vznrepNY

Anon

I guess you can say so... I deal with phone over fiber mostly.
But feel free to ask me any questions you have.

--vznrepNY--
cbrain (banned)
Silver Spring, MD

cbrain (banned)

What technology do you use for the phone line? Packetized? How do you get power to your fiber system and will you keep some copper in place for this?

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale

Premium Member

said by cbrain:

What technology do you use for the phone line? Packetized? How do you get power to your fiber system and will you keep some copper in place for this?
Power is provided by a power outlet in your home. There is also a battery backup unit that Verizon installs which will provide 8 hours of talk time in the case of a power failure.

-Tzale
cbrain (banned)
Silver Spring, MD

cbrain (banned)

I suspect my outlet does not provide power back to the CO. Remember, they removed my copper. I'm wondering if Verizon will continue to provide their own power or use the local utility.
JohnA4
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

JohnA4

Premium Member

Your outlet powers your ONT. The CO powers the equipment on their end. There is no power required in between, unless you get out to 70,000' or so, and a repeater is required. Just one of the many things they love about fiber.

Soif
@verizon.net

Soif to cbrain

Anon

to cbrain
cbrain Fios fiber is powered from the Central office. The power unit and backup only powers the ONT at the side of your house.
cbrain (banned)
Silver Spring, MD

cbrain (banned) to JohnA4

to JohnA4
Thanks. That's a little over 13 miles without repeater. Verizon may have the capacity to start selling excess power.

Comcast Cable uses amplifiers that are out when the local power fails.

The Answer Guy

Anon

One small problem, Verizon isn't using any repeaters in the network past the central office serving your town. The whole idea of a PON is that it is completely passive. That means no active electronics that require power in the local network.

The battery backups are often discussed, but what most people miss is that the batteries they offer to each home meet or exceed the current state regulations on copper POTS service battery reserves. Don't kid yourself, lots of people have only 8 hours of battery reserve on their POTS lines today, but you don't see anyone complaining about it. 99% of people don't even know it.