spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sparkyguy
join:2001-02-27
San Francisco, CA

sparkyguy

[XP Home] Acquiring IP address on wireless network with WPA

I've looked around here on the forum and others seem to have similar problems, but none the same as mine. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a wireless b network set up at home with a Linksys DSL BEFW11S4 router, and I used WPA security with a pre-shared key. I have 3 computers connected via regular ethernet connections on this network, no problem. And a friend who comes here quite often is able to connect wirelessly to the network, also no problem.

My laptop has a Dell wireless card and runs XP Home, and I'm able easily to connect to a couple of other wireless b networks (also WPA PSK) that I use quite often. But when I try to connect to my home network, it connects and shows excellent signal strength but hangs trying to acquire an IP address.

If I start and restart the laptop a couple of times, eventually the whole network goes down. To bring it back up, I need to disconnect and reconnect the router, which will both immediately bring back the network AND the laptop will get an IP address.

Then, for several days, I'm generally able to connect to the network with my laptop. But after a few days, the whole thing starts again (excellent signal strength but no IP address).

Does anyone have any ideas about what's happening here?
clanehleader
join:2003-12-01

clanehleader

Re: [XP Home] Acquiring IP address on wireless net

This is exactly same problem Im having im on same router and a Dell Inspiron 700m, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Unkown Guy
@dyn168.pacific.net.p

Unkown Guy to sparkyguy

Anon

to sparkyguy

Re: [XP Home] Acquiring IP address on wireless network with WPA

what is the processor of your laptop computer?
clanehleader

clanehleader

this problem seems to be caused when Laptop goes into Hibernation mode and then when its back it wont connect, or when it goes standby and comes back wireless hangs at network addres acquiring...

So now reboot will fix it, or you can make sure the laptop doesnt go sleeping

Im on centrino 2ghz

Unknown Guy
@dyn1.xx.pacific.net.

Unknown Guy to sparkyguy

Anon

to sparkyguy

Re: [XP Home] Acquiring IP address on wireless network with WPA

If you have centrino in your laptop and you're using BEFW11S4 v4, try to upgrade it's firmware to the latest firmware available.

Storm72
join:2003-07-03
Bourbonnais, IL

Storm72 to sparkyguy

to sparkyguy

I've been having the same problems for a few weeks. I switched from DHCP to static IP since I only have a laptop and a desktop on my network. That seems to have solved the problem.
clanehleader

clanehleader to Unknown Guy

to Unknown Guy
Unknown guy, my firmware has been latest for a while as Linksys hasnt released a new firmware since 2004 for the router.