uniqs

prestonlewis
Premium Member
join:2003-04-13
Sacramento, CA

prestonlewis

Premium Member

Re: Porting Rules

What if you port a number from a RBOC like Verizon to a VoIP like SunRocket. After a few months with SunRocket you are unhappy with them and decide to migrate to a different VoIP provider like Vonage.
How does that work? Does it work at all?

Well, the porting rules supposedly state that the customer of record controls the number as long as he/she has it. The owner of the number (telco/cell/CLEC/ILEC/RBOC) will always own the number and will get it back if the customer of record loses the number. So, for migrating to another telco service, you should be able to do it bearing in mind the account names must be the same at your new porting home and the new porting telco must be in your "point of presence" or local calling area. Some people have ported a number directly from one VOIP provider to another, others have had problems. You might consider porting the number back to it's owner (ILEC,RBOC,CLEC,Cell) first and then porting it again to your new provider if problems crop up. But theoretically, you can port the number as many times as you like as long as you remain the customer of record. However, due to the newness of porting, mistakes & accidents happen. My advice would be to think long and hard before porting, period. Someone's mistake might cost you your number or any ignorance on your part concerning the rules might also cost you the number. Be careful, understand all the steps, risks, etc. Until porting becomes commonplace, a lot of people will not understand how it works, like the Phonom customer service rep that says Phonom now "owns" someone's ported number, which of course is incorrect.

ruscorp
I Never Stop Posting For You
Premium Member
join:2002-08-29
Earth

ruscorp

Premium Member

I hope the VoIP providers will port back to RBOC's like Verizon.