pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium Member
join:2002-06-28
Inman, SC

pro7070

Premium Member

Windows Update error 0x80072EE2 Sygate Personal Pr

I have tried Sygate in the past on another machine and got this same error 0x80072EE2 when trying to do windows Update. Trying Sygate again on a new computer it does the same exact thing. I really like the Sygate Firewall but not being able to connect to Windows Update is irratating.
I have tried reregistering dll's as found on this page »[XP Pro] Windows Update v5 hangs at start?
I would like to try the advanced rule solution here »Firewall settings may interfere with WU V5
but I'm a noob and need help on how to set it up. I really like the firewall and it suits my needs really well other than this really annoying bug. Uninstalling Sygate elimates the problem and I have checked allowing everything everytime windows update asks for something. Any ideas?

dp
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA

dp

MVM

Re: Windows Update error 0x80072EE2 Sygate Persona

You may find some help on this at »forums.sygate.com/vb/sho ··· s+update
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to pro7070

MVM

to pro7070
Try this -

Double click the icon

Look for Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Right Click it,

Click Allow.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to pro7070

Premium Member

to pro7070

Re: Windows Update error 0x80072EE2 Sygate Personal Pr

I'm at work right now - I'll post the Advanced Rule I
made when I get home, but IIRC, it was to allow
Generic Host Processes as noted above, but to block
selected ports (135 & 1025, but not 443, which is what
WU uses).

pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium Member
join:2002-06-28
Inman, SC

pro7070

Premium Member

Re: Windows Update error 0x80072EE2 Sygate Persona

Thanks for trying to help guys.
dp- I tried everything on that link and nothing worked
Shuten Doji- I tried your tips as well

I have tried this on two different machines. One running XP Home and one XP Pro. I have run out of patience on this. after several hours today and several more the first go around, I've uninstalled Sygate and windows Update works again.I will move on to the next firewall to try. This is a really good firewall other than it won't allow Windows Update to work on any of my computers. It seems I'm not the only one either. maybe I'll try it again on their next version.

again thanks for trying

KRameshB
@virgin.net

KRameshB

Anon

Close Sygate firewall for a while and do this windows update. Once its over, start Sygate firewall again. It worked for me (XP Home).

Mats
Here kitty and the chimp. Smash
Premium Member
join:2002-03-16

Mats to pro7070

Premium Member

to pro7070

Re: Windows Update error 0x80072EE2 Sygate Personal Pr

pro 7070, do you still have Sygate installed? you have something misconfigured with the firewall.. you do not need to put it in "allow all" mode for windows update to work properly..

more than likely you had "stealth mode browsing" enabled.. you need to disable that feature when you visit windows update.

if that still does not work then post the blocked entries from your traffic log after windows update fails..