uniqs
share rss forum feed

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15

FAQs are changing their look and feel

I'm working on FAQ entry and features. It shouldn't remove anything you can already do but it hopefully will make the standard view better, and add some extra useful editing tools.

Bill
Premium,VIP
join:2001-12-09

Spell check would be nice

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

2 edits

2 recommendations

ok spell check is there. At least, red-words for possible spelling problems.

The new thing that is cool is being able to toss attachments into a FAQ and then inline them in text. Saves all that hassle going to and fro to the "faqs" imaging archive and constructing image tags. Just keep uploading screenshots or whatever (zips also ok), and then refer to them as you do in forum posts, by the [ att = n ] construct. There is a preview screen when you edit a question that shows the current list of attached screenshots and the correct [ att ] syntax to use for each.

Optimized
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2004-13
join:2001-05-03
Ringwood, NJ

said by justin:

ok spell check is there. At least, red-words for possible spelling problems.

The new thing that is cool is being able to toss attachments into a FAQ and then inline them in text.
Very cool, thanks!
--
Chilly likes it

Bill
Premium,VIP
join:2001-12-09
reply to justin

Very cool, thanks.

I'm sure all the poor spellers out there will be very thankful for that addition (myself included)
--
The new Secure-Wifi.net is open!

drake
Overdosed on confidence
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-10
Baldwin, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to justin

This is sweet justin See Profile.
Thanks!

Is it possible to consider this as one of the "new" features, as well?

»[request] Adding additional FAQ editors ... manually
--
from a broken hill

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
reply to justin

I really like the new look. My only complaint is that I would prefer that the sub-categories be indented, like they are in the TOC, in the expanded view as well.

Otherwise, well done!

Steve

Riss_Centaur
Mod'taur - - - - 4 On The Floor.
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2005-07
join:2004-01-20
Chicago, IL
reply to justin

Thank you Justin!
Makes the process for inlining images a world of difference!
-Riss
--
I have a plan so cunning you can pin a tail on it and call it a weasel!

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON
reply to justin

Two questions about the new inline attachments. How does one delete them from the available attachments after they've been uploaded (either because of a mistake, or to save server space, whatever)?

Secondly, is there a way to code the [att=n] into the html? For instance, the default is to align centered. I'd like to be able to move them around, etc..

I'm a bit of a newbie at this, so maybe I'm asking obvious questions.

Steve

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

There is no delete yet, i'll add it sometime.

I guess you could put them in html directly for now by looking at the URL for the thumbnail when you do use [att=n] and then pasting that url into a regular IMG tag - please also put in WIDTH and HEIGHT attributes.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON

What I've been doing so far is to use the thumbnail location as the source, and the link location as the HREF link.

It's worked for now but is a bit clumsy.

Anyway, thanks.

Steve

Big_D
Premium
join:2003-06-02
Augusta, GA
reply to justin

Thanks, justin. The new look and additional features are great!
--
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON
reply to justin

You know what would be ideal. If the attachments, as displayed when 'show available attachments' is clicked, were displayed in their inline, thumbnailed format. This way all the information is already accessbile to use them as inline, or as regular HTML images (i.e., image location, link location, and att=n are all easily accessible). This would save a lot of inconvenience. However, the changes have already improved the convenience, so I'm not overly complaining.

Now that a rudimentary spell check has been implemented, is there anyway to combine it with the spell check available in the forums? In the case of our FAQ, we use red text for certain purposes and find the red highlighting for spell check sometimes confusing.

Steve

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

you shouldn't ever use colored text - because you don't know what theme people are using. I use a dark theme and find red text actually hard to read!

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON

Good point. I'll talk to my co-editor about that. Thanks!

keith2468
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-03
Winnipeg, MB
reply to justin

Interesting point about colored text.

Would it be possible to make it so that red/blue/green, etc. were dark red/blue/green when a light colored theme background was in use, and were light red/blue/green when a dark colored theme background was in use?

(And thanks for the spell checker!)
--
(Virus&Hijacking FAQ + Submit suspected malware + Backups FAQ + Security FAQ TOC)

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

no i can't edit html like that. It is better to stay away from text colors and just do bold or italic if you need emphasis.

rjackson
Premium,VIP,MVM,Ex-Mod 2005-13
join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
kudos:1
reply to keith2468

said by keith2468:

Interesting point about colored text.

Would it be possible to make it so that red/blue/green, etc. were dark red/blue/green when a light colored theme background was in use, and were light red/blue/green when a dark colored theme background was in use?

(And thanks for the spell checker!)
Using colors for emphasis is generally a bad idea anyways, since there's no way to know what browser settings the user may have chosen or if they are color blind, sight impaired, etc.

Like justin See Profile says, bold and italics are preferred for emphasis (but not if they're overused). Using underline is generally discouraged in HTML because it can be confused as a hyperlink.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON
reply to justin

said by justin:

you shouldn't ever use colored text - because you don't know what theme people are using. I use a dark theme and find red text actually hard to read!
Justin,

I experimented with my theme settings and it seems that themes do not not carry over to the FAQs (at least not to mine). I know that the theme was working because it showed up in a forum, but not in the FAQ.

Are you sure that others (including yourself) with alternate themes are having those displayed when viewing the FAQs?

Steve

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

1 recommendation

the theme settings for premium users are site wide. You should try em. I like having a dark site and it is everywhere. On a few pages there are old prompts in the wrong color but I'm slowly fixing them.