..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet

1 recommendation

Wiki wiki wiki

I'm going to add a wiki (broadband wiki) .. it is way overdue. FAQs have held off the need so far. My only quandry is how closely to integrate it into the site.

It could be logical to setup a new domain name, like, wikibbr.org and have it stand on its own merits.. push traffic to it from here. The advantage of that is it could then support subdomains such as
cable.bbrwiki.org

Or, have it as a subdomain wiki.broadbandreports.com where sub-domains become too long, but at least all the login stuff is common..

or just have it as a url
broadbandreports.com/wiki/...

And then the template of the wiki (I'm thinking of using »twiki.org) .. whether it should include the normal site surround, or have its own cleaner design. For sure users will expect to get IMs and stuff if they are in the wiki pages.

And who becomes wiki editors - empowered to revert entries and so on.. logically the bigtime users here and FAQ owners would automatically be wiki editors.

Optimized
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2004-13
join:2001-05-03
Ringwood, NJ

Sounds like a good idea!

»twiki.org looks like a nice template.

I like the thought of a new "wikibbr.org" or similar domain. Would that allow us to bring all the existing BBR user info over? A user on BBR becomes the same user at wikibbr.org?

I have no clue on the number, but my guess is that there are thousands of user submitted entries credited in our FAQ's.
--
Chilly likes it

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

if it was another domain then it would be easy to allow all BBR users to login there. But there is the pain/complication that you can then be logged in on the wiki domain but not the bbr domain and vice versa.

JMartin
Premium
join:2001-03-20
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to justin

Here's a wiki I frequent, I like the template but then I'm used to it.

»www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk

Big_D
Premium
join:2003-06-02
Augusta, GA
reply to justin

I vote for wiki.broadbandreports.com (and wiki.dslreports.com). I find it annoying to have to login more then one time to the same site just because I clicked on a link somewhere in the site.
--
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

mjf
" "
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-05
New Orleans, LA
kudos:2
reply to justin

I like the concept and I move for implementation.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

well i can install a basic template driven wiki pretty quickly but the problem with wikis is they need a strong first few pages from which new content is hung. I think it is best to install one that has limited readership initially and get some content in there before it is launched.

A faq to wiki conversion button would be cool (freeze a faq and populate a wiki page, from where editing continues). But then we lose the ability to search the FAQ from 'site search', lose hit-counts as well (who cares?). Integrating a wiki search into the site search nicely is non-trivial. Also, a FAQ would need a special kind of template.

mjf
" "
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-05
New Orleans, LA
kudos:2

Can you try it with a couple of faqs for starters? The faqs here are well established - even all - not a bad gamble for a trial.
--
Smile!
Team Discovery

USR56K

join:2000-05-20
Lynnwood, WA
reply to justin

I sure hope there will be some sort of spam proofing/ spam resistant features installed. I get sick of finding wikis that are taken over by crap spamming.
--
If it's not on Google, then it doesn't exist.

**DC++ FAQ**

wafen
Mr woogie
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2006-14
join:2001-02-01
Maplewood MN
kudos:1
reply to justin

said by justin:

But then we....lose hit-counts as well (who cares?).
I would miss the hit counts. I know I have quite a few faqs that I thought were not of any use and they are some of the most looked at.
I probably would have pulled some of them if I didn't have the hit counter to tell me they were being looked at.
--
Join Team Helix! Help Us Find A Cure! Get the FAQs!

rtcpenguin
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Fairfax, VA
reply to justin

What about the Wiki? »wikipedia.sourceforge.net/

I'm not much of a webmaster, but I feel like it might be very difficult to integrate this into the site.

And when you talk about a Wiki, do you mean an open one? As in any user can edit it? If so, it would require a lot of readership to keep updated, and repair vandalism (although not so much if reg required).

Anyway, if you expect this to be useful, you better implement it quickly, before Wikipedia has a monopoly on all knowledge (see: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Su···ber_Line)
--
Will you still remember, There behind the skies, Walking on the embers, Standing in their light -FF

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

Yeah i mean open as in perhaps open to all, at least open to senior users, or all registered users.
Wikis present recent updates in an easy to check and reverse manner. I don't think trash is that much of a problem. Reversion is trivial.

draven
Ex-Mod 2004-10
join:2002-02-20
my bunker

Yeah, the beauty of wiki is version control.

I think it is a good idea. Regardless of the Wiki, as in wikipedia, not always is that the first place you think for the most recent, detailed information on a subject. As a matter of fact, often-times it isn't.

Having a wiki-integrated portion to BBR allows the defacto experts and members alike to constantly collaborate on a resource to compliment the wealth of information in the forums. I think it would very likely be much better - and much more useful - than other larger, general wikis out there.

I would also go with a subdomain if it were up to me.
--
From Philly or the Northeast US in general? Come visit BBR's Philadelphia & Northeast forum!

rtcpenguin
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Fairfax, VA

1 recommendation

said by draven:

I think it is a good idea. Regardless of the Wiki, as in wikipedia, not always is that the first place you think for the most recent, detailed information on a subject. As a matter of fact, often-times it isn't.
Sadly, for me it is. Well, at least for general historic (bios, places, events etc) and technology information.

I was just looking through some of the site faqs, and even more specific bandwidth-related topics and webmaster tools (such as mrtg »Bandwidth »What is MRTG? vs »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRTG) are covered by Wikipedia. I think a dslr Wiki might be more useful as a site specific faq (ie, tool points do this), and for more subjective queries (»File Sharing FAQ »Which P2P app is the best?, »Hardware Forum FAQ)
--
Pope Benedict XVI scrobbles, do you?

Corvus
Flaming Tards Since 2003
Premium
join:2003-11-26

said by rtcpenguin:

I was just looking through some of the site faqs, and even more specific bandwidth-related topics and webmaster tools (such as mrtg »Bandwidth »What is MRTG? vs »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRTG) are covered by Wikipedia. I think a dslr Wiki might be more useful as a site specific faq (ie, tool points do this), and for more subjective queries (»File Sharing FAQ »Which P2P app is the best?, »Hardware Forum FAQ)
I agree with rtcpenguin See Profile, the current broadband technologies related wiki articles on Wikipedia.org are at least equal or more advanced than our FAQs and some of ours also link to Wikipedia for more details ...

That doesn't means our FAQs are useless, but more not at the bleeding edge we should be. But I've got an idea...

Wikipedia.org is an international non-profit organization, an open community just like BBR is. I also noticed that since few months, the Wikipedia.org community is having problems, they are now in the top 100 most visited sites on the web and rapidly growing. They need more resources (servers and bandwidth) but only live on users donations (limited). They might be interested in some kind of help...

So here's the plan: why not create a kind of joint venture/association between Wikipedia.org for the broadband related articles and BBR? This would assure BBR a lot of new hits and members and Wikipedia could reduce their bandwidth/storage needs by dumping these articles in the BBR infrastructure.

said by »wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wik···our_help :

This growth has been very exciting but has been a challenge to cope with. Just to keep up we will need to spend $55,000 (USD) on new hardware this quarter alone (compared to $30,000 last quarter). But we also want to build reserve capacity and an infrastructure for deploying server clusters around the world. Hosting partners could then help us share our exponentially growing traffic load, reducing constant increases in our expenses. Other costs, however, continue to increase, such as the operation of the servers in our colocation facility, administration and maintenance work, and critical changes to our software.
Two of the most important open communities joining their forces to provide technological knowledge to the masses...Sounds good to me.

Give your opinions below, I want to know how you feel about that...
--
The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then gets elected and proves it.--P. J. O'Rourke

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

1 edit

I don't see why wikipedia has to own everyones space. The gentoo (a unix distro) community has a very active and advanced wiki and they didn't feel that wikipedia should host it all.

perhaps the reason wikipedia has some pretty good broadband related pages on it is just because this site hasn't had a wiki for the last two years...

Corvus
Flaming Tards Since 2003
Premium

said by justin:

perhaps the reason wikipedia has some pretty good broadband related pages on it is just because this site hasn't had a wiki for the last two years...
Well, don't take it negatively but I think BBR FAQs/Wiki will always be behind (in terms of technical knowledge) Wikipedia.org... It's not because we've got dumber people, it's just that Wikipedia has way more visitors, so more technical people.

IMAO, what's the point of duplicating the information with another open community?...I say give it a try, speak with them and see what's possible, if no deal then ok let's build a separate one here.

I may sound a bit idealist but I'm sure there's something great that can be built using both community ressources...
--
The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then gets elected and proves it.--P. J. O'Rourke

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

1 recommendation

I'd rather not bother with alliances like that, it takes too much talking and time.

They get lots of visitors but the visitors are searching for a whole universe of stuff. I believe BBR has enough smart users to make a better wiki on many broadband topics if it is promoted properly. There are FAQs here such as the cabletech FAQ that are far better than any wikipedia entry.

draven
Ex-Mod 2004-10
my bunker

Let's do it!

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

I've been waiting for new hardware, 3 machines from dell. taking a long time to arrive

Corvus
Flaming Tards Since 2003
Premium
reply to justin

Ok, let's move forward and do it! Will the currents FAQ be moved to the wiki or it's a "start from the scratch" and everything must be rebuilt? If moved I think we need an "integrator" or someone that will choose what definition between the duplicates we have.
--

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

dunno, when i get the wiki up i'll figure out if there can be a FAQ converter to seed it to the point where the FAQs can get turned off.

draven
Ex-Mod 2004-10
my bunker
reply to justin

said by justin:

I've been waiting for new hardware, 3 machines from dell. taking a long time to arrive
I usually say that and then the UPS/FedEx dude shows up 10 minutes later with my stuff.
--
From Philly or the Northeast US in general? Come visit BBR's Philadelphia & Northeast forum!