how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cotizzle

join:2005-04-11
Orange Park, FL

Comcast Dvr Box To A Computer???

hey guys i just got a new comcast dvr box, and i was wondering if n e one knew how to take the shows that i recorded off of the dvr box and transfer them to my computer so i can burn them to a dvd????/

Comcablrtl

join:2003-10-25
Midwest
You can use the FireWire port. It can only record as you play the program. There is no high-speed transfer.

Cotizzle

Orange Park, FL
reply to Cotizzle
but how would i hook up a firewire upto my computer, i thought those were just for mac computers???

GameraFan

join:2003-01-03
Monster Isle

Cotizzle

Orange Park, FL
reply to Cotizzle
isnt there just a way where i can hook up a usb to both and download a program and put it on my comp ready to burn

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Cotizzle
said by Cotizzle:

but how would i hook up a firewire upto my computer, i thought those were just for mac computers???
Many PCs also have firewire. My Dell 8100 desktop, Gateway desktop, and Dell XPS laptop all have firewire. Unlike my Mac Mini, I haven't been too successful with getting programs to record on my PCs via the firewire connection on my non-DVR, hi-definition DCT-6200 box.
--
Comcast BBQ

GameraFan

Monster Isle

1 edit
I finally got a long enough firewire cable to actually try recording shows on my PC (Dell 8400) from a 6412. I have successfully transferred three episodes of an animated kid's show and burned them on DVD. The DVD looks as good as the DVR recording.

I then tried recording a movie we had on the DVR. Initially, the recording was fine and then the audio was seriously out of sync. I'll need to work on that one.

And to answer the USB question. The USB ports on the DVR are disabled.

Cotizzle

Orange Park, FL
reply to Cotizzle
i was just wondering if i can just use a ethernet cable because i dont want to use a firewire,,,,if i can use the ethernet what program do i use??

ckelley
Premium
join:2005-04-05
Saint Clairsville, OH
reply to Cotizzle
Anyone know how to do this on a Mac? No problem doing it with my PC, but I'd much prefer it this way .

Keeping it real

@comcast.net
reply to Cotizzle
The ethernet port is not for data transfer. It's for future use and not active, at least on the Comcast service.

GameraFan

Monster Isle
reply to ckelley

ckelley
Premium
join:2005-04-05
Saint Clairsville, OH
reply to Cotizzle
Holy crap... thank you very much!

This is a good excuse to go buy that additional external 160GB hard drive I was looking at last night. My PowerBook will love this.

Cotizzle

Orange Park, FL
reply to Cotizzle
so what would be the best way for me to connect my computer to my dvr box??? and cheapest

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to Cotizzle
You can probably find a firewire card pretty cheap. Just keep in mind you can't use it for encrypted channels. Meaning, it pretty much only works for the local channels.

Anything else, go with S-Video and a analog capture card.
--
\\ROB - a part of the SCB local network

Cotizzle

Orange Park, FL
reply to Cotizzle
so i cant use the usb? i cant use the ethernet? but i can use the firwire, i dont even know where to get one of those or what it looks like....r u sure there is no way for me to use a usb or an ethernet cable.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
reply to Cotizzle
Yes, you must use firewire.

imrf
Premium
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI
reply to Cotizzle
said by Cotizzle:

r u sure there is no way for me to use a usb or an ethernet cable.
Yes, there is no way for you to use the USB of ethernet ports for data transfer. If you don't want to go the firewire route or the s-video in on a tv tuner, then you could go out and buy a standalone DVD burner and use the s-video out of the DVR and record it that way.

Cotizzle

Orange Park, FL
reply to Cotizzle
so does my copmuter have a firewire hook up?

imrf
Premium
Utica, MI
said by Cotizzle:

so does my copmuter have a firewire hook up?
I don't know, does it? Do you see any ports on the back of your computer that look like the ports on this card, »www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe···3&depa=1. If not, then no you don't have one and you would need to buy that card to make it work.

Smokey Joe5

join:2005-02-13
Beaverton, OR
reply to Cotizzle
I bought a Pioneer DVD recorder about a month ago and love it. I am using the s-video cable output from the DVR to record a lot of kids movies to DVD. Both the recorded stuff from the DVR and also directly from On Demand. These machines are getting less expensive so this may be an option for you.

dvruser

@bowie01.md.comcast.n
would a cable box s-video to computer work to tranfer the files?

imrf
Premium
Utica, MI
Yes, it would be fine. It will be standard definition only, and it would be real-time. So you would have to watch what you are transferring to your pc.

Wintermute1

join:2002-04-14
Nokesville, VA
My Comcast DVR (SA Explorer 8000HD) does not have live s-video out because I connect to my hdtv using component cables. Is there a way of making the box output live s-video while also using the component link for a direct connection to the tv. i am trying to use the audio (rca) and s-video link for my microsoft media center pc and am having no luck.

Suggestions please!?

W

imrf
Premium
Utica, MI
said by Wintermute1:

Is there a way of making the box output live s-video while also using the component link for a direct connection to the tv.
Nope. If you want to use the s-video out, you need to switch the box into SD mode. If you can use composite connections you can use the VCR Archive output of the box. The 8000 series has a hardware limitation with having both HD and SD outputs active at the same time. If you can get the 8300 series then you can do what you want without any problems.

filmkid

join:2005-04-30
Hoboken, NJ
reply to Cotizzle
What if my DVR box doesn't have a firewire port? Is there any other way to connect my box to my Powerbook?

filmkid

join:2005-04-30
Hoboken, NJ
reply to Cotizzle
Or, actually - this is the whole deal - I want to hook a Scientific Explorer 8300 to my Mac powerbook. I also use an airport with it. Does anybody know the best way to do this? I want to download some stuff so I can edit and burn to a DVD.

karnaught

join:2005-05-10
reply to GameraFan
said by GameraFan:

I finally got a long enough firewire cable to actually try recording shows on my PC (Dell 8400) from a 6412. I have successfully transferred three episodes of an animated kid's show and burned them on DVD. The DVD looks as good as the DVR recording.

I then tried recording a movie we had on the DVR. Initially, the recording was fine and then the audio was seriously out of sync. I'll need to work on that one.

And to answer the USB question. The USB ports on the DVR are disabled.
GameraFan... did you just record the shows straight to your computer, or did you actually upload shows that you had previously recorded. I currently have around 10 episodes of a TV show that I have on my DVR that I am trying to upload to my laptop. I have the firewire and all necessary programs connected to my DVR, but I can't seem to upload already recorded programs.

Karnaught

tb5825

join:2005-02-05
Boston, MA
reply to Cotizzle
Does it work the other way from computer to dvr?

Does the dvr show up as a removable hdd in my computer?

imrf
Premium
Utica, MI
What you have read in this thread is the only way to get the shows from the drive, via firewire or composite/svideo.

Here is the link for using XP and firewire, »replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/.

tb5825

join:2005-02-05
Boston, MA
said by imrf:

What you have read in this thread is the only way to get the shows from the drive, via firewire or composite/svideo.

Here is the link for using XP and firewire, »replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/.
So you cannot transfer from your computer to the DVR?