Search similar:

uniqs
StarStrike
join:2005-01-21
Vancouver BC

1 edit

StarStrike

DVD Writer isn't Recognized as a Burner

Hello fellow DSL Report members! I'm pretty much a "newbie" here with a problem with my DVD Burner. I decided to post here because it seems like a really nice and helpful community. I hope to help people out here as much as they help me. Meh, I'm getting side tracked. Anyways, heres my problem.

My HP Dvd Writer 400C now for some reason isn't being recognized as a DVD burner in Windows. For example, when I try to insert blank DVD's and to try access the drive it asks me to insert a disc -- but I already have. What proves that Windows isn't recognizing it is that in the properties of the drive there is no "Recording tab"; thus, it's being recognized as a CD/DVD reader, which it does fine as of now. However, when trying to burn CD's, it recognizes the disc, but once you commence burning I immediately get a "Disc Terminated with Errors" with Nero Ultra 6.

Now, I have tried a number of this to resolve this problem, but they made no difference at all. I tried the manual registry fix on Microsoft's website (which advised me to look into the registry file which dealt with drive type; mine was set to 1 [along with 3 of my other computers, which have no problems whatsoever]), started up the IMAPI service in windows, uninstalled a bunch of CD burning and other possible conflicted programs, and am now going to try to repair the Windows installation. I don't have any Roxio products on my computer, so that definately isn't the problem. The programs I uninstalled were: Nero Ultra 6, DVD Rebuilder, DVD Santa, DVD Decrypter, Primo DVD, and Norton Systemworks 2005 Professional. Uninstalling these programs, were a waste as they made no difference whatsoever. Additionally, I have restored my computer to many save points using System Restore and have the latest firmware for my writer.

I know for sure that there is no problem with the media because I was burning DVD's effortlessy until last week (Memorex 8x DVD+R's). I even tested the meda in other computers and they were readily detected and could be burned without much of a problem.

As of now, I think the only option i've got is to reformat my computer, but I would only like to resort to that if there really is no other option. Seeing as this is a Windows problem, this problem must have a solution!

If any of you can give me ideas on what to do, or can solve this problem, it would be greatly appreciated! This problem is driving me nuts!

Thanks,

StarStrike

P.S. Some info that might be helpful in solving the problem:

Computer: HP Media Center M480N (w/ an added ATi Radeon 9800Pro and 4.1 Sound Blaster sound card)
Firmware version: KH27

Edit: Here's what I see when I view my writer in "My Computer" when I have a blank disc inserted (well, it's like that with any disc).

chRoniX10
Peace sells, but who's buying?
Premium Member
join:2004-05-22
Chatsworth, CA

chRoniX10

Premium Member

Try downloading a general ATAPI drive for your dvd burner
here-->http://www.totallydrivers.com/drivers/download-driver.asp?driver=21
StarStrike
Vancouver BC

StarStrike

Thanks! I tried it, but it didn't work. The installation took like half a sec though, so something might be wrong. Heh...

RangerTX7
R.I.P. beloved Trooper dog
Premium Member
join:2004-01-29
Austin, TX

RangerTX7 to StarStrike

Premium Member

to StarStrike
Do you have an ASPI layer installed? If not, go here:
»radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm

Follow the instructions carefully. (If you're not sure if it's installed, or properly installed, the included aspichk.exe utility can tell you.)
StarStrike
Vancouver BC

StarStrike

Tried that too, and it didn't work . Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for your help thus far!
srr2
join:2001-12-20
Pipersville, PA

srr2 to StarStrike

to StarStrike
If possible, pull the drive out and temporarily install it in another PC to see if it works there.

A long shot, but possible fix, is to uninstall the IDE controller (not the drive, the ATAPI controller) from Device Manager. You can safely uninstall both of them if you're unsure about which one the DVD is connected to. They'll be redetected and reinitialized on the reboot. You may have to reboot one additional time. Then try your test again.
OHN
join:2003-02-05
Appleton, WI

OHN to StarStrike

to StarStrike
Is the drive correctly identifying in BIOS?

I agree on the uninstalling the IDE.
StarStrike
Vancouver BC

1 edit

StarStrike

I've already tried uninstalling the IDE controllers (did it twice) and it made no difference whatsoever. In the BIOS, my drive is recognized as a CD-ROM (Which I think is right because the other thing it could be is a ADRM). I even tried forcing it as a CD-ROM (the only "reasonable" choice in the BIOS) and tried changing the boot order with no difference.

This problem is really really getting annoying lol!

P.S. I will try this in another computer soon to see if it is a drive problem.

ironwalker
World Renowned
MVM
join:2001-08-31
Keansburg, NJ

ironwalker to StarStrike

MVM

to StarStrike
Could try firmware upgrade for the drive.
Maybe check the registry and make sure the upper and lower limits are deleted.
Could delete it from device manager all together and reboot...let it refind the drive.
StarStrike
Vancouver BC

StarStrike

I have the latest firmware (KH27 I think), have deleted the upper and lower limits in the registry (I can double check them though, where do I find them [sorry I forgot where they were lol]), and have deleted it altogether from the device manager with no luck. However, I just recently tried to burn a data CD on a CD-RW and it worked flawlessly! Still, it won't recognize my burner as a DVD burner .

thewolfman
join:2003-04-03
Niagara Falls, NY

thewolfman to StarStrike

to StarStrike
I have had the opposite happen to me in the last week. My DVD/CD burner won't burn CD's anymore.
Here is the link to my post, »Lite-On SOHW-1633S CD not reading, but DVD does!?

I ended up shipping it back to newegg, RMA, and am waiting for a new one. Don't know if this will help you or not.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan to StarStrike

MVM

to StarStrike
When you say "My HP Dvd Writer 400C now for some reason isn't being recognized as a DVD burner in Windows" I assume it has worked until recently. It could easily be a bad drive meaning a hardware failure. Don't expect a drive to last [bias]especially an HP[/bias]; I currently have a LiteOn drive that sometimes works but has become completely unreliable for critical work. Even a recently purchased drive can just quit working out of the blue. From your description I'd say what you're facing is the purchase of a new drive.
StarStrike
Vancouver BC

StarStrike

HP is probably the WORST company ever. I called them up, explained my problem, and guess what? They said it's a software problem (which is CLEARLY isn't) and said that you either have to go online or purchase a software warranty for $35. Idiots just left the phone on me then. Great.....Now I really think I should call them back and rip their f**ken a** apart. God im pissed......
gerry123
join:2004-06-19
A2b !h1

gerry123

I have had the same problem with my 400c. I called HP and after 2 hours and many registery cleanings the drive still did not work. HP said it must be a corrupt firmware & it would not take a reflash or a roll back of the firmware. After a bunch of wrangling with them, HP replaced my drive. I installed the new drive and it worked for about 3 months. I installed XP SP2 and the drive stopped working again. I have written & spoke to HP on the latest problem and they have acknowledged that it is a known problem in certain circumstances. But my drive is 2 weeks past the warranty so I guess I'm in the market for a new DVD+/-RW. Any suggestions on a brand or model? No more HP's for me. BTW the 400c is a rebadged Philips 824K (straight from HP Support.) So I guess I'll be staying away from Philips in the future too. Good Luck. If you find a solution to the 400c, other than tossing it, let me know.

gerry6632628@yahoo.ca

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to StarStrike

MVM

to StarStrike
Count me as having been burnt by 2 lite-ons (one was weeks old, the other about 3 months old)
and also burnt by a TDK 52x cd burner with little use.

I fully agree with srr2, trying the drive in another pc should be among the first things one does with an optical drive.

They just aren't built as well as hard drives (IMHO) or other PC components... ($5.00 power supplies excepted)

mikestorm
join:2004-04-30
Ashland, MA

1 edit

mikestorm to StarStrike

to StarStrike
It seems your problem is covered in the MS knowledge base:

»support.microsoft.com/de ··· s;316529

EDIT: seems like you already found and tried this. Sorry!
NOT LEGAL
join:2005-05-05

NOT LEGAL to StarStrike

to StarStrike
I have the same thing with mine 400c. It already happened to me twice and every time after installation of XP Service Pack 2. I had lots of stuff to burn so I was not than eager to reinstall windows, so I just uninstalled SP2 ...but it didn't work. Probably something got damaged. One more thing about Service Pack 2....It was screwing up my internet connection ( cable )and mail too. I was trying everything my network provider suggested but it didn't work. Now after I uninstalled SP2 my network works perfect.... Lots of people now have doubts about SP2. It causes many different troubles. So I have suggestion to this problem: reinstall your system and DO NOT install Service Pack 2... Good luck!

Babar
Premium Member
join:2001-05-09
Washington

1 edit

Babar

Premium Member

Upon reflection, I do not wish to post.
Expand your moderator at work

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to NOT LEGAL

MVM

to NOT LEGAL

Re: DVD Writer isn't Recognized as a Burner

said by NOT LEGAL:

I --- Good luck!
FUD

Mike D0
I want your skulls
Premium Member
join:2001-09-12
Harrisburg, PA

1 edit

1 recommendation

Mike D0 to StarStrike

Premium Member

to StarStrike
The very first cd burner i ever bought was an HP, i had problems out the ass with it. Vowed never to buy another HP again. Good luck with getting it resolved to your satisfaction.

As for recommendations, I have a plextor and i love it.
»www.plextor.com/english/ ··· 716A.htm. They are more expensive than other drives but I think most on this board will agree that you won't be disappointed.