spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jan Doe
@212.93.x.x

Jan Doe

Anon

5 ips are allready there

I figured that most likely we are allready configured to receive 5 ips, and that it's just the router setting preventing us from doing so. And I was right.

To test this the submask needs to be changed from 255.255.255.252 to 255.255.255.248 in the efficient router

Actually 255.255.255.248 gives you 8 ips, one ip is for gateway and one ip for broadcast, leaving us with 6 , and one is used for the router leaving us with 5 usable.

To do this we need to access the router, which is pw protected, but can be bypassed by pressing the reset button for few seconds untill the light turns red, then you can use the serial number as password for 10 mins.

Then we can telnet into the router, which is one ip below our ip and then change the pw to prevent cyberonic from seeing anything we change there.

Then to change the subnet we use the 'eth' command.

lets say your ip is 24.42.56.26

when you eth list you will see your router ip of 24.42.56.25 and subnet of 255.255.255.252

to change it, 'ETH IP ADDR 24.42.56.25 255.255.255.248'

then 'save' and 'reboot'

now you have 5 ips to use, from 24.42.56.26 to *.*.*.30

.31 is the broadcast for your network .25 is the router and .24 is the gateway at cyberonic

I hope cyberonic doesnt hate me for this. But these are allready routed to the efficient networks router which just discards them because of the sub.
ross7
join:2000-08-16

ross7

Thanks for posting that!

scooby
Premium Member
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL

scooby to Jan Doe

Premium Member

to Jan Doe
This on covad, mci or what?

Jan Doe
@cantv.net

Jan Doe

Anon

That would be for the mci set up. I don't know how covad is set up, entirely possible that it could be done as well.
caseydoug
join:2001-08-14
Seattle, WA

caseydoug

said by Jan Doe:

That would be for the mci set up. I don't know how covad is set up, entirely possible that it could be done as well.
I doubt it. Covad is PPPoE.

scooby
Premium Member
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL

scooby to Jan Doe

Premium Member

to Jan Doe
yeah you get a different login for covad for 5 ips versus 1.
bodysurf
join:2002-01-23
Placentia, CA

1 recommendation

bodysurf to Jan Doe

to Jan Doe
said by Jan Doe:

I figured that most likely we are allready configured to receive 5 ips, and that it's just the router setting preventing us from doing so. And I was right.
Yes, you are right.

However, whoever does this would be using what they are not paying for.

Cyberonic is within their rights to either charge them or cut them off.

If you would have just kept your mouth shut, then you could have just "enjoyed" this yourself. Now, you risk bringing this to their attention.

I'm curious: What was your agenda in posting this?

Neil6
Stop All The Downloadin
join:2003-08-20
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Neil6 to Jan Doe

to Jan Doe

Re: 5 ips are allready [sic] there

I'm pretty sure this would be classified as "stealing."

Which would make you "thieves."

You're not the first person to ever figure this out, so don't give yourself too much credit. Just the first person to post about it.

Congratulations.

Also, don't screw anything up in the routers, because it seems like every time someone posts about some new trick you can do with the 5861s, I end up reconfiguring more than usual.