Search similar:

uniqs
svenlange
join:2005-04-29
estonia

3 edits

svenlange

Wake-On-Lan (WOL) solved

I have solved the WOL functionality for nearly all linux setups. Populart WRT54G(S) series are prime example. To make real WOL functional - do the following:

1) Make a port forward to your LAN ip 192.168.0.254 (no PC can use this IP in LAN) udp port 150 for example (it really can be any port as your WOL pc does not care what port the traffic arrives)

2) add this to your startup scripts:
ip neigh change 192.168.0.254 lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff nud permanent dev br0
ip neigh add 192.168.0.254 lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff nud permanent dev br0

* IP can be what ever you like - important is only that forwarding rule and arp entry IPs are the same and the IP has to lie in the same subnet as you WOL pc.
* device br0 is linksys wer54g(s) bridge device between Wireless and LAN. Generally it should be a device what is used for LAN routing.

WRT54G(S) users with DD-WRT and SveaSoft Alchemy firmware:
You can paste the lines to web admin "administration">"diagnostics" and save with "Save Startup"

3) now you have guaranteed permanent arp entry for your LAN after you restart the router and you can always route traffic to your LAN even if your WOL PC is in sleep.

4) use any WOL utility you like to wake your PC from anywhere you like. My sample script that i wrote in java is here: »scat.pri.ee/wakeonlan/

You can email me sven@scat.pri.ee

Scatman (svenlange)
(DD-WRT prefinal 3.2 @ WRT54GS)

flw
Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04

flw

Premium Member

Are you attempting to just make a persistant conneciton in a local arp table? If so on the AP and or client?
svenlange
join:2005-04-29
estonia

svenlange

Persistant ARP entry yes thats it - the problem is that i was unable to use command ARP -s in my router (wrt54g) because this one has it not. So I used iproute2 tools for it. And of course the im doing it in my router. The idea is to broadcast a packet to local lan . Destination MAC ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff will do just that.

Port forwarding to 192.168.0.255 will not do it (this is adverticed everwhere as a sloution) - because forwarding to broadcast address will not work with iptables as packets (*.255 destination) somehow do not reach FORWARD chain - no matter what I tried.