uniqs
share rss forum feed

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1

WRT54G as bridge (DDWRT, ALCHEMY or HyperWRT)

I am loolking for a true client bridge - a L2 bridge, just like the WET54G (or WET11). Radio on one side, ethernet on the other side (one Ethernet port is fine as I use a 16 port switch)

I am currently using WDS but would like to try a simple L2 bridge

The current method of having to muck around with routes will not cut it. I want both sides of the bridge to service the same IP subnet

Has anyone gotten this to work with 2 WRT54G's and DD-WRT (or alchemy)
--
»aerobatix.webhop.net

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace

join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

I was able to get it working using client mode, assuming thats what you are asking.
--
I like dogs, guns, and cheeseburgers. Whats your malfunction?

nels03608

join:2005-03-09
Fort Collins, CO

1 edit

It doesn't work without the routing and the different subnet. I've tried everything and I can't get it to act as a true router.

Supposedly, Sveasoft's new Talisman software allows this. I have not tried it yet though.

nels03608

join:2005-03-09
Fort Collins, CO

In the previous post, I meant act as a true bridge....not router. Sorry.

wifi4milez

New York, NY

Unless I am not understanding what you want, you can already make your router into a true "bridge" simply by putting it in client mode. You then connect any device(s) to it via ethernet and your good to go. I have connected routers, wap's, and pc's to a wrt54g in client mode and it worked perfectly.
--

bbarrera
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1

said by wifi4milez:

Unless I am not understanding what you want, you can already make your router into a true "bridge" simply by putting it in client mode. You then connect any device(s) to it via ethernet and your good to go. I have connected routers, wap's, and pc's to a wrt54g in client mode and it worked perfectly.
Sveasoft Satori supported this but apparently there were some issues.

Sveasoft Alchemy only supported routed client mode, but Wolf's later w38 build had limited bridged client support -- no broadcast pass-thru created problems with DHCP and other broadcast protocols.

Talisman reportedly supports bridged client mode.

jsolo1
Premium
join:2001-07-01
reply to dellsweig

Talisman supports true bridged mode (not wds), but I believe as of last week's beta, it was limited to one ethernet connected. Eventually they say they will permit use of all 4 lan ports when in client - bridged mode.
--
Living in a state of insanity & disillusion

wifi4milez

New York, NY

The simple fix to this issue is to attach a router, hub, or switch to the bridged ethernet port. This will allow you to have as many devices as you want connected to your bridged wrt54g. I have tried it with all the above devices and had no troubles.
--