grehgsasaki
join:2005-05-01
San Diego, CA

grehgsasaki

help in choosing which WRT54G

Here is what I have so far...

one WRT54G (v3) + one WRT54G (v1.1)

What I want to do:
use one unmodified WRT54G as the main router; the other modified one to be a client (to be put in another room to distribute wired connections);

Can anybody see a problem here? the WRT54G with v1.1 is the only one I can find in the store...all of the other models are v3. should I keep my v1.1 or exchange it for a v3?

which firmware should i load and into which box i should load it?

Thanks in advance.

pipdipchip
8 Megabits A Second
Premium Member
join:2003-12-04
Hanover, MN

pipdipchip

Premium Member

Go with the v3 for anything you have if you can. I'd load up Alchemy or Talisman on those routers and you can do pretty much anything you want. I see no reason to keep a router "unmodified". I'd flash some Sveasoft on both of them.
grehgsasaki
join:2005-05-01
San Diego, CA

grehgsasaki

thanks for the quick reply and the advice. i'm overwhelmed with all this information regarding the wrt54g and the community behind it. i have a few more newbie questions...

are these firmwares you mentioned free?

which ones are compatible with v3?

which ones will enable me to have bridging or WDS?

pipdipchip
8 Megabits A Second
Premium Member
join:2003-12-04
Hanover, MN

pipdipchip

Premium Member

said by grehgsasaki:

thanks for the quick reply and the advice. i'm overwhelmed with all this information regarding the wrt54g and the community behind it. i have a few more newbie questions...

are these firmwares you mentioned free?

which ones are compatible with v3?

which ones will enable me to have bridging or WDS?
Everything but Talisman is free. V3 requires one of the newer firmwares. HyperWRT is a good pick. Alchemy seems to work on 3.0. Although not officially, just ask linksysinfo and see what he says. Anyway, if you want the fancy features, you'll probably need Alchemy. *waits for DD-WRT link* I have some info on my site (see below).