tup
Premium Member
join:2001-01-15
Port Elgin, ON

tup to Wildcatboy

Premium Member

to Wildcatboy

Re: IE Security Settings

WCB--Txs for giving us your settings. I have been playing around with this stuff for several months from info I read on DSLReports which includes many of your posts but I have never seen anything nearly as complete as what you have posted in your screenshot. As you mentioned, there is sometimes a downside to having things like Active-X disabled but I have gotten fairly adept at just going to the Security drop-down and re-checking Active-X if I need it for something specific.
I have two questions which I'm sure you could help me to understand. First is about the Trusted zone. Everything in there is » So even though I put MSUpdates and DSLReports in the Trusted zone, when I go to those sites, they show (on the bottom right hand corner of the screen) as Internet zone. Therefore, I expect the settings I have in Trusted zones don't work. In other words, I can't get updates from the MSUpdate site unless I have Active-x enabled in the Internet zone. So, how does having less secure settings in the Trusted zone help you except when you go to do your banking etc where you actually enter a » Trusted zone.
My second question is simple--how did you do the screen shot post. Did you take several and use a graphics program to combine them?

OzarkMan$
join:2000-12-22
Ozark Mtns.

OzarkMan$

tup....try using just http NOT https !

R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Click for full size
Gotcha, Oz!! It is not quite that easy. You have to remove the above check first.
____

Ignore the fact that I have DSLR list twice on my list. That is not necessary...
[text was edited by author 2001-08-24 21:07:50]

Wahoone
join:2001-06-27
Wahoo, NE

Wahoone to OzarkMan$

to OzarkMan$

IE Security Options Links by Ozarkman

OzarkMan tke711 pointed out a thread you originally started that has some great links
»Internet Explorer Security Options, Part 1-6

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2 to tup

MVM

to tup

Re: image

I am guessing WCB used a Paint program -- perhaps even just Paintbrush -- and pieced those together.

Great job, wasn't it?

OzarkMan$
Ozark Mtns.

OzarkMan$ to R2

to R2
Not really R2....for MOST individuals that is already unchecked. IE, when installed, comes defaulted with Require server verification unchecked ! So....it's a TWO STEP process IF an individual has checked that box !

tup
Premium Member
Port Elgin, ON

tup to R2

Premium Member

to R2

Re: .

The significance of that check mark about https: never registered. Txs to all for helping educate this old guy. I really appreciate the patience of the people on DSLReports.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2 to OzarkMan$

MVM

to OzarkMan$
On all the machines I have checked, that box is CHECKED by default -- and I am very certain that is the problem that tup is having.

OzarkMan$
Ozark Mtns.

OzarkMan$ to Wahoone

to Wahoone
Thanks wahoone....I enjoyed reading that info as much as I enjoyed sharing the info with others.

As with many things....there is definetely more than one way to skin a cat. Many individuals use third party programs with very much success when it comes to a secure surfing experience, while others choose to use the security settings offered with IE with the same amount of success....at least for MY family and I we are able to accomplish this !

BTW R2....I'll stand corrected for now, but I could have sworn that was a default. But hey, the http issue as we both know is tup's problem and if he can add those sites to his trusted zone by un-checking the server verification box....that's all I'm interested in !
Hopefully just another satisfied member
[text was edited by author 2001-08-24 21:27:45]

tup
Premium Member
Port Elgin, ON

tup to R2

Premium Member

to R2

Re: .

I unchecked the box for https: and re-entered my URLs for various sites in the Trusted zone. Now, I get the Trusted zone designation in the lower right hand screen. Plus, I'm getting things like zoom capability in my favourite weather site etc. that I have done without for months because I thought security was more important that convenience. Thanks again to all at DSLReports that helped me understand this!!

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to R2

Premium Member

to R2

Re: R2's Trusted List...

It's interesting that you have microsoft.com as a trusted site. I remember reading that some of M$'s own servers weren't patched against CodeRed.

The only site I trust is my own, plain and simple.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

BellBoy - I understand your reservations about Microsoft. However, I am there all the time -- searching the KnowledgeBase, checking out Updates, digging through the TechNet and MS Developer's Network -- that I see no other option but to "Trust" Microsoft. Otherwise using their site is just a nightmare.

What I have done is made my "Trusted sites" zone not as "trusted" as it is by default. That way I feel somewhat secure.

WCB - I understand your settings and do not disagree with them for you, but (again) since I am NOT the only user of my machine, I choose to make my Internet Zone fairly restricted -- very close to my "Restricted Sites" settings. However, since I have five Internet Security zones to play with, I have other choices to use for sites that I desire to be more "enabled".

That is why I think there is no "perfect" setting for all of us. Instead, we can present and discuss our settings -- and our rationale for our choices -- and everyone learns.

Wildcatboy
Invisible
Mod
join:2000-10-30
Toronto, ON

Wildcatboy

Mod

said by R2:
That is why I think there is no "perfect" setting for all of us. Instead, we can present and discuss our settings -- and our rationale for our choices -- and everyone learns.
I agree and that's exactly why I started this thread. I'm hoping that eventually we'll have others join the thread and discuss it further.