Norm, The Basset For All Time
Premium Member
join:2001-02-08
Madison, WI

highhatsize

Premium Member

Cancel cyberonic = get charged for two weeks w/o D

Saturday, May 7, 2005, 18:17 hrs. pdt.

I finally canceled cyberonic 1500/768 after two years. Following the initial catastrophe in January of 2003 when hundreds of DSL customers here in the San Francisco Bay area that DirectvDSL dumped all tried to subscribe to cyberonic at the same time, resulting in total chaos, the service has been reliable and steady at 1260/604. MY reasons for canceling were purely economic.

However, I did encounter the bizarre customer service that others have reported when dealing with the cyberonic back office.

In March, 2003, when I complained about the terrible connection, a cyberonic rep said that they were giving me a free extra month by way of apology. Nevertheless, I started being charged on a monthly basis when my 18 month contract expired, (instead of after 19 months, as I should have been with the extra month included). I telephoned cyberonic customer service at that time and they claimed to have no record of the promised free month.

This time, when I called to cancel service, I once again called their attention to the free month that I had been promised. "You got the free month", asserted the rep. "Let's see", he continued, "your first monthly bill was posted on [etc.]". He proceeded to do the addition that showed that I was, indeed, switched to monthly billing after only 18 months instead of 19, so he, reluctantly, credited me with an extra month.

Then, when I told him that I wanted to cancel, he said that two weeks notice was required. O.K., I responded, cancel my account at the end of the current billing cycle, (which was almost a month away). No, he replied, the line had to be shut down two weeks before the end of the cycle because it took that long to decommission it. "So I have to pay for two weeks of no service during which you are decommissioning the line?", I asked.

"That's right", he responded

Sure enough, on May 2, two weeks before the billing cycle ended, my connection was terminated.

Has anyone else encountered this policy? I don't recall this being the case with any other DSL companies whose services I purchased. Is this the industry standard?
ross7
join:2000-08-16

ross7

Re: Cancel cyberonic = get charged for two weeks w

That's just a jive-ass load of Cyberonic crap. Cyberonic is full of it if they think they can get away with that. Don't pay the SOB's. I wouldn't, and I won't. When it comes time for me to cancel their service because of their lousy mail service, lack of spam filtering, and their continued failure to pressure MCI for upgraded speed packages, or a lowering of rates, I'll give them explicit directions about where they can go, and how to get there. And, I won't be paying for their trip.
mhargr03
Premium Member
join:2003-08-12
Chicago, IL

2 edits

mhargr03 to highhatsize

Premium Member

to highhatsize
I have been a month-to-month customer for almost 2 years, and am moving in a month. I got the same story, that I have to cancel about 2 weeks before the end of my billing cycle, so in essence I am paying for service after it is disconnected. This is ridiculous, and they should do the disconnection on their own time.

In fairness, the service since day 1 has been very solid save for a few days here and there, but this billing issue is unforgiveable. I will be disputing their last charge so they can do battle with my credit card company.
iveyleeger
join:2005-07-21

iveyleeger to highhatsize

to highhatsize
You are not the only one who got screwed. Did you deal with "Bill J." in billing?