spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Laxxx
join:2005-05-11

Laxxx

Speedstream 4100 Admin password

Greatings to the Broadband Crew,

my problem ist this: I now have ADSL and the provider sent me the new "SPEEDSTREAM 4100 ADSL MODEM" and ist pretty good, unfortunately the admin password, which should be "Admin" as default doesnt work. if I want to log in as User,it´s no problem...

but when only logged as user, I can´t do anything on router (only put back to bridge mode) but no port forwarding or anything else...

I tried to find something in the net, but no luck for me....

maybe someone knows the default password for it, or a Master password.....

I hope it´s enough information.

seeya, Laxxx

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

2 edits

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

You would have to tell us as you are the first poster with a 4100.

The is only one (1) article listed at the KB.

SpeedStream 4100 Quick Start Guide
»kb.efficient.com/article ··· 75&p=351

Even the 4200 users have this problem and no answer.
»speedstream 4200

Regards,

Doctor Olds
Laxxx

Laxxx

It sais Default password should be admin, too...

do you think I should try to do a firmware update? when I do so, does the modem switch all the configuration to default again?

sorry but I´m new to DSL, and never expected such a Pproblem... or any other ideas?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

The instructions you are reading are for the Router version. There are three (3) types of 4100 and I bet your ISP does not give you the Router version which is the most expensive version.

What Firmware? I've not seen any for the 4100/4200 listed by Efficient.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
Laxxx

Laxxx

dammit....obviously I didn´t really understand it, but now I got it, I found an Icon located to my router....

but big thanks for the hint....

hope I wont have such a noob problem again

Laxxx

Gizmho
@citykom.de

Gizmho

Anon

so...what was your solution to this problem. I have the same admin/password thing here. this router really sucks.

What do you mean by "I found an Icon..."?

Thanks,

Ben

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Gizmho:

I have the same admin/password thing here. this router really sucks.
You mean your ISP really sucks for giving you the crippled version and not letting you be the Admin. Right? Since you haven't been able to get into the unit it's unfair to say it sucks just because you are locked out.

Anyway, there is no Username. Read the image I posted.

»/r0/do ··· 4100.jpg

Do you have UPnP enabled in XP? That's most likely the "Residential Gateway" desktop icon he found.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

Gizmho
@citykom.de

Gizmho

Anon

Ya, ok, my ISP sucks. I enabled the UPnP, plugged in the this crippled SpeedStream, restarted but no Icon appeared.

And by using the browser to configure the modem I have no choice to leave the username blank. There is a drop-down button that only accepts "user" or "admin" as username.

Is it possible to force Window to detect an UPnP device?

Greetz
Ben
Gizmho

Gizmho

Anon

Remark: By the way I am wondering how Windows can detect a DSL Model via the LAN cable?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

2 edits

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Gizmho:

Remark: By the way I am wondering how Windows can detect a DSL Model via the LAN cable?
It can't detect a Bridge/Modem, but if you have a Router/Modem with UPnP enabled then it detects it by using UPnP. It works over the Ethernet cable just like any protocol can with Gateway Devices (i.e., Routers).

You must have "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" and the "SSDP Discovery Service" running on XP for it to work and the Device connected to it must have it's UPnP fully enabled. If any one service is disabled it will not work.

»www.microsoft.com/techne ··· pxp.mspx

Regards,

Doctor Olds
Doctor Olds

Doctor Olds to Gizmho

Premium Member

to Gizmho
said by Gizmho:

Is it possible to force Window to detect an UPnP device?
No, it doesn't work that way.

Understanding UPnP™: A White Paper
»www.upnp.org/resources/w ··· pers.asp

Regards,

Doctor Olds

Gizmho
@citykom.de

Gizmho

Anon

Ok, this UPnP thing works now. I forgot to install the UPnP user interface from the Windows components setup.

In the network settings it is called "SpeedStream Router". Nevertheless it helps not much of course I still can't logon.

I read about the possibility to logon via telnet. But telnet doesn't accept any of the usernames (admin, user).

So how can I find out if this thing here is a router or just a modem?

Thx,
Ben

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

If it has UPnP and placed an Icon on your PC then it is a Router.

If you cannot access it then you should complain to your ISP.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
Laxxx

Laxxx to Gizmho

to Gizmho
hi there again, the thing was I could not connect to my router/modem the way it is said in the instruction, i have tried several times.

and now, sorry I write german, but so I can explain to Gizmho:

@Gizmho

ich bin auf Systemsteuerung/Netzwerkverbindungen gegangen, da hat sich ein Icon erstellt welches "Internetgateway" heisst.

wenn du auf das Icon klickst und deine Verbindung darüber herstellen willst, musst du erst über deinen Browser die verbindung zu deinem Modem/Router unterbrechen und dann über das internetgateway verbinden (doppelklick sollte genügen)

wenn du das geschafft hast, müsste in Taskleiste ein "connected" symbol auftauchen und diese sprechblase, dass du 1,8 oder 2.4 mbit verbunden hast oder so...

wenn du dann auf das symbol klickst öffnet sich das "Status" fenster und du klickst auf "Eigenschaften", dann auf "Einstellungen" und da kannst du dann den Port und die IP einstellen, ob UDP oder TCP usw. dann sollte es klappen.

Ich komm aber auch nicht in den Router/Modem so wie das in der anleitung erklärt ist. ich gehe davon aus das du bei Citykom bist (laut dem Namen), ich auch...

I just explained the way I could do the Port forwarding with my Router/Modem. and he has the same local Provider I have...

Laxxx
Laxxx

Laxxx

that is a screenshot of the menu where u should type in the password. like Gizmho allready explained there is no possibility of blanking the username, its Admin or User, and if u select user and type USER for password, you can connect, but only have a small amount of thing you can do...

and select Admin as username and type Admin as password (like its said in the instruction) doesn´t seem to work.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

If you purchased a Router from your ISP then call and complain about being locked out of the Router you purchased. If the ISP rents or gives you the Modem then they appear to have locked the "end user" (aka the customer) out of the unit and there is no known way to get around it when crippled and you do not have ADMIN rights.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
Laxxx

Laxxx

I just turned the thing around and looked the little sticker on the back, there it sais:

SIEMENS

SpeedStream 4100

Ethernet ADSL MODEM

so I guess it is a MODEM...and we don´t have to discuss that any further.

For me your help was more than helpfull, thanxxx for that so far.

Laxxx
buggage
Premium Member
join:2002-11-28

1 edit

buggage

Premium Member

Laxxx, check your IM please.

Also, don't put much value into what the sticker states. It's already more than just a modem by the fact that you can log into the user interface, and that you even have directions on how to log onto the device. Though the firmware has probably a.) not been tested properly b.) been purposely crippled (either in the .img file or .def file) in some way to not give out the admin access.
Laxxx

1 edit

Laxxx to Gizmho

to Gizmho
Gizmho, I now have the password for logging in as admin. Thanks for the help buggage.

if you are interested in trying it, please contact me or write something here.

Laxxx

Niko9583
@citykom.de

Niko9583

Anon

hi
i´m a owner of the speedstream 4100 modem/router too and i would need the admin password as well.

would be nice if you could give it to me

Thanks in advance
Niko (ceilidh@gmx.de)
Laxxx

Laxxx

ok, please check your mail.

Laxxx

budgarst
@citykom.de

budgarst to Laxxx

Anon

to Laxxx
would help me a lot if you send me the admin pw aswell!
mlm-hitman@gmx.net
Laxxx

Laxxx

i´ve sent you an email.

Laxxx

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Might as well post it.
Laxxx

1 recommendation

Laxxx

ok, so the ADMIN password for the Speedstream 4100 ADSL Modem (especially for Citykom Members) is

"hagpolm1"

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to Laxxx

Premium Member

to Laxxx
4100 Quick Start Guide [977 Kb PDF File]
»80.127.153.164/Documents ··· -001.pdf

4100/4200 Datasheet [107 Kb PDF File]
»80.127.153.164/Documents ··· 4200.pdf

4100/4200 User Manual [2.5 Mb PDF File]
»80.127.153.164/Documents ··· -001.pdf
chnlcat
join:2005-05-31
Blooming Grove, TX

chnlcat to Laxxx

to Laxxx
I 2 would like the admin password also if you please.

Chnlcat

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by chnlcat:

I 2 would like the admin password
It's posted right there two posts above yours and in BOLD. BUT, It is for a German ISP here »www.citykom.de/ so I doubt it will work for you.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
chnlcat
join:2005-05-31
Blooming Grove, TX

1 edit

chnlcat to Laxxx

to Laxxx
yah i sent reply from the first page.. didnt see the second page listed. i tried using the winpcap program and the ftp program and still cant get the .def file to download.. any ideas would be appreciated.. I live in texas with Valor as my provider.. ive also tried v4lor and i couldnt get it to work either

David

I also talked with efficient and they tell me they can give me a super password that will get me into everything but it will cost me 45.00 .. I think its kind of rediculous to have to pay when the provider doesnt know the password themselves..

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by chnlcat:

I also talked with efficient and they tell me they can give me a super password that will get me into everything but it will cost me 45.00 .. I think its kind of rediculous to have to pay when the provider doesnt know the password themselves..
You'd have to take that up with your ISP and or Efficient/SSN.

Regards,

Doctor Olds