spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sec

join:2005-05-11
Greenville, SC

redirection to install.charter.com

Since upgrading my modem 3 weeks ago, I continue to be repeatedly redirected to the Charter self-installation site (install.charter.com). If I don't complete the wizard, I can't access any other sites. If I do complete the wizard, I'm redirected to the install.charter.com site a few minutes later. The connection otherwise works normally.
I've spoken with half a dozen Charter techs, switched out modems, and tried many things, but no one at Charter seems to know how to keep this installation wizard from popping up.
If anyone has had a similar experience, or has any ideas about a solution, thanks in advance for letting me know.

markopoleo

join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO
Mmm why do you get a wizard in first place. Should not get anything like that for a Charter cable install. Did you install some sort of software lately?

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
Premium,MVM,ExMod 2003-06
join:1999-12-29
InnerSanctum
kudos:3
reply to sec
What browser and version are you using? Is this a "Charter" branded version of IE?

Varlik
Without Honor You Will Never Be Free
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Anderson, SC
reply to sec
By reading your post when you say that "Since upgrading my modem" and "I've spoken with half a dozen Charter techs, switched out modems". I'm assuming that your leasing your modem from Charter. If so have they checked to make sure that the correct Mac ID for your current account modem is the one they have on record? And did you or Charter install a self installation CD?
--
"Sir SIR! We don't use DHCP servers. We only use IBM & Microsoft servers." From there my call to tech support went steadily downhill.

sec

Greenville, SC
reply to markopoleo
After I bought my first modem, a Motorola Surfboard, I called Charter to give them its MAC address. Shortly thereafter, the Charter self-install wizard then appeared on my screen (I assumed Charter sent it to me as part of the procedure for registeing a new modem). The problem is that the wizard keeps coming back. There was never a connectivity issue after Charter registered the new modem's MAC address. No new software.

sec

Greenville, SC
reply to nozero
I'm using the latest, fully updated IE 6 browser, and it does appear to be Charter branded.

sec

Greenville, SC
reply to Varlik
All modems were purchased by me, and were recommended by Charter. The first was a Motorola Surfboard. A Charter tech said that there might be something wrong with the modem's memory, and recommended I return it for another. I then got a LinkSys modem, but that didn't change anything. All the MAC addresses were confirmed by Charter as corresponding to my account.

sec

Greenville, SC
reply to Varlik
After getting and responding to many online Charter self-installation wizards, many of which had script errors and other glitches, Charter recommended that I install a CD version, which I did. The online versions of the wizard have still kept coming, though.

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
InnerSanctum
Reviews:
·PowWeb
·Time Warner Cable
reply to sec
Have you considered uninstalling it and reinstalling the browser or just leaving it uninstalled and sticking with "regular" IE?

Do you have any other browser loaded? If so does, it react in the same manner?

It sounds like there is a "hook" that keeps calling back the installation program as if it has not been completed or did not completed properly.

Just curiosity on this one, but what happens if you paste or type a URL into your Windows Explorer address bar; (yes, Windows Explorer not Internet Explorer, many don't know that you can use Windows Explorer in this manner)? Does it switch to the branded version of IE and if not, does the problem recur when you do this?
--
Every moment is another chance to turn it all around.
If only one cure is to be found, don't you want to be part of that?
Here's how...

tech327

join:2003-01-02
Louisville, KY
reply to sec
have you cleared your cookies and history?

fnord76
Elder God
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL
kudos:2
reply to nozero
I would have to go along with nozero on this one. It does sound like the install is not registering as complete. Go pick up an alternate browser and see if it does it anymore. Isn't there still a link to firefox here?
--
You shall not pass.

JTY

join:2004-05-29
Ellensburg, WA
reply to sec
You may need to talk to a tier2 tech.

When I setup with Charter, the online system made an error registering my modem. The tech had to check some other system, and found a problem with the provisioning.

sec

Greenville, SC
reply to nozero
That's very interesting...that the problem could be in the Charter-branded browser. Haven't tried uninstalling/installing the Charter IE, nor do I have another browser. When I typed a URL in Windows Explorer, the website was picked up in a non-Charter IE. I'll try to surf a few more sites this way, and see what happens. If this solves the problem, how do I uninstall the Charter IE? It's not listed in the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs utility.

Thanks for the advice!

sec

Greenville, SC
reply to tech327
Oh, yes. Also reset the modem, router/firewall, etc.

sec

Greenville, SC
reply to JTY
I suspect that some of the techs I've talked with were not the most experienced. Do I just ask for a tier 2 tech?

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
InnerSanctum
Reviews:
·PowWeb
·Time Warner Cable
reply to sec
I had similar issues with an MSN branded browser recently and long ago with a FlashNet branded one back in my dial up days.

Hope it works for you in further testing and I'm sorry but, I can't tell you how to uninstall the Charter browser. Does the web site give an option for removal? Perhaps calling tech support or one of the techs here can make a suggestion? If you like, feel free to start a new thread on "uninstalling the Charter branded browser" to see if you can get help here.
--
Every moment is another chance to turn it all around.
If only one cure is to be found, don't you want to be part of that?
Here's how...

RLD
Its All About Choice.

join:2001-07-05
North Richland Hills, TX

1 recommendation

reply to sec
The diskless install; as this is called (when setup in your area properly), will automatically take you to that site when a new modem mac is detected. I have seen this happen on a number of occasions w/various customers. I usually walk them through deleting cookies and temporary internet files, ipconfig /flushdns, power down of all equipment; including router, and re provision the modem to the account.

Its always possible that any one of the steps may fix the issue. I've tried various stages with success. Doing all of them at one is an extreme; but it usually requires at least a few of the steps together to fix the issue when it rears its oooogly head.
--
R.L.Dempsey
OS/2 Warp & eCS (by Choice)
Mac OS/X & Linux (for FUN)
friggin windoze (by necessity)

sec

Greenville, SC

1 recommendation

I suspected something like that might need to be done. The local Charter techs have led me through some of those steps, but obviously not all of them.
Taking nozero's advice, I was able to reinstall IE after modifying a registry data entry and running the XP SP2 CD. So far the problem hasn't resurfaced (knock on wood). But if it does, I'll try to do the things you recommend.
You're the only other person I've heard from who has actually dealt with this specific problem. Thanks for the good info!

Varlik
Without Honor You Will Never Be Free
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Anderson, SC

1 edit
reply to nozero
said by nozero:

I can't tell you how to uninstall the Charter browser. Does the web site give an option for removal? Perhaps calling tech support or one of the techs here can make a suggestion?
Is This not the info he would need? From stan999 See Profile very helpful site. To change the Charter Co-branded browser and OE back to the original
»charterpipelinentx.net/cobranded.htm

Opps should have read a little further, best intentions and all that.:)
--
"Sir SIR! We don't use DHCP servers. We only use IBM & Microsoft servers." From there my call to tech support went steadily downhill.

sec

Greenville, SC
Thanks. Will give it a try.