Search similar:

uniqs
BlueScreen79
join:2004-04-13

1 edit

BlueScreen79

Setting up a network with Windows 98 SE & XP

Hey

I'm got a huge problem on my hands, and I figured I'd ask you guys for some help.

I'm trying to set up my friend's two computers for Internet Connection Sharing. One comp is a new Dell running XP, and the other is a much older Dell, running 98 SE. She previously had just the Win98 computer online, connected via USB to a Comcast Motorola Surfboard cable modem. I am attempting to install a network for her, so she can have both computers online.

I've already purchased a DLink wireless router, along with a DLink wireless USB network adapter for the XP machine, and the previously mentioned Belkin ethernet card for her 98SE machine. Since the desk where the 98SE machine sits is already wired for the modem, I figured I would set the 98SE machine as the host comp, then have the XP machine connect wirelessly.

The Belkin card installed with no problems in the 98 machine, though it did take a bit of pressure to install it in the machine's motherboard. 98 sees it though, so it works fine. I was able to access the router and configure it once, but I can't get the 98 machine online, and I can no longer access the router's configuration page.

I found this site
»www.annoyances.org/exec/ ··· w/ics_98
which explains how to set up 98 for connection sharing, but they have the Internet connection going directly into the 98 computer, instead of the router.

How exactly do I correct this? I am willing to uninstall everything and start from scratch, but reinstalling the OS's isn't possible. I would like for the modem to connect directly for the router, and then have the router feed the two computers.

Thanks for the help!
ChiTang
MVM
join:2002-08-23
Alhambra, CA

ChiTang

MVM

One step at a time, she original had a motorola cable modem connects to a USB port of the Win98 PC. Now she bought a new DELL XP and she wants networking and internet sharing.

1. Install the Nic to Win98 PC.
2. Connect Motorola Cable Modem directly to the Nic of Win98 using ethernet cable and C if it connects first.

If step #2 fail, there is no point to go further.
Call Comcast tech support or post back here.

3. If step #2 is OK, connect the modem to the wan port of router, connect lan port of router to Nic of Win98.

4. If step #3 is OK, then wireless Nic of DELL XP will be a different thread.

For now.

penguin356
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Somewhere

penguin356 to BlueScreen79

Premium Member

to BlueScreen79
This seems like you are making things way to hard here.

"I've already purchased a DLink wireless router" --> No need to use Internet Sharing. That's what the router is for

Cable Modem--> To Dlink WAN Port --> Wired PC to one of the ports on the DLINK

Then just follow the setup wizard on the Dlink and that's it. Then insall the wireless adapter on the remaining PC and that's it.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

dbmaven to BlueScreen79

Mod

to BlueScreen79
moved from Hardware
Wizi
join:2005-05-08
Germany

1 edit

Wizi to BlueScreen79

to BlueScreen79
The router and the (w)lan card IP should communicate on the same level! The level is the 3th number in the IP from left to right... For example if your PC has 192.168.1.100 but the router has 192.168.0.1 - forget to make them "talking" to each other.

I would also suggest that you use static IP and the both machines, because that makes much easier for the network to get working. Something like this: XP box - 192.168.1.100, 98 box 192.168.1.101 and the router 192.168.1.1

penguin356 explained it already fluently. I don't know that kind of WAN connection do you have - if you can't get connected to the net, maybe you'll need to look into the WAN section in your router.

NOTE: the best way to know if your router was able to connect to the internet is to log in to your router, go to STATUS folder (top) and see if you have IP's in the WAN section! If there are only empty fields you'll need to config your WLAN connection!

The next logical step is to set static IPs on every PC and tell them that their GATEWAY is your router's IP!

I guess there will be no more need to take care of the XP machine, but the 98 might need to know your DNS IPs to get connected into the Internet. You can find the also in your STATUS section from the router menu.

..... I have *exactly* the same config!!! D-Link WLAN router wired to a XP box and a laptop with WLAN PCMCIA and 98se + DSL modem connected to the router.

I hope you got your problem solved in a nick of time

ahedge
Premium Member
join:2002-05-14
Surprise, AZ

ahedge to BlueScreen79

Premium Member

to BlueScreen79
said by BlueScreen79:

She previously had just the Win98 computer online, connected via USB to a Comcast Motorola Surfboard cable modem. .......

I would like for the modem to connect directly for the router, and then have the router feed the two computers.

Unfortunately the Dlink router doesn't have a WAN USB port to connect the Surfboard modem. Actually I don't know of any router that can do that.

You can ask Comcast if they can replace the modem with one having an Ethernet port. If they do, you will be able to connect the router to the modem.

If they can't/won't, you can still make it work with ICS.
Use ICS to channel the Internet connection to the Belkin card on the W98 machine. Then connect a cross connect Ethernet cable between the Belkin card and the WAN port of the router.

After following the configuration steps you saw on that »www.annoyances.org/exec/ ··· w/ics_98 link, your friend should be able to connect wirelessly and surf the Web also from the XP machine.

It's not an ideal configuration but works.

Post again if you have doubt/questions or if I missed the boat

Best

Art

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to BlueScreen79

Premium Member

to BlueScreen79
i would use the Wireless Network card on the XP computer

and Connect the 98se computer to the router via ethernet
BlueScreen79
join:2004-04-13

BlueScreen79

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Put briefly, I need to set up both comps to get on the Internet, though the router. I'd rather not use Internet Connection Sharing, as if requires the host computer to be on for the other comps to get online.

ChiTang, I did attempt connecting the modem directly to the Win98 comp, and that doesn't work either. Comcast tech support blamed the router, and DLink tech support blamed Comcast. Neither seemed too interested in actually solving the problem.

Regarding the connections with the router, everything is wired up as Penguin suggested, but I am unable to connect to the net on the Win98 comp, which is wired into the #1 port of the wireless router.

Wizi, unfortunately, I am unable to access either the router config, when it is hooked up. With the modem hooked right into the Win98 machine, I cannot get online, either.

Ahedge, the modem has both an ethernet and a USB connection, but I still think I might try your suggestion. With the setup you suggest, would the Win98 machine have to be turned on for the XP machine to be able to access the Internet?

Punker, the ethernet card I installed in the 98 machine is a standard ethernet card, not a wireless one. I have a wireless USB adapter, which I plan to use with the XP machine, once the modem and Win98 are set up properly. Unfortunately, the 98 machine is so old that it does not have USB 2.0, so the wireless adapter will not work with it.

Thanks for the help everyone. I really have to get this to work. What bugs me more than anything, though, is that Comcast simply blamed DLink, and DLink simply blamed Comcast.

Also, is it possible that I did not install the ethernet card in the 98 machine properly? Everything was going smoothly until after the router configuration, though, which almost disavows the ethernet card.

Thanks!