join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan to Glen T

MVM

to Glen T

Re: Hiding unsecured wireless networks

said by Glen T:

. . .

With all due respect, I don't really need parenting advice. This was a technical question.
I think your best bet is going to be locating the neighbor, explaining your situation, and see if he can secure his network. I don't think there's much you can do on your end other than trying some of the suggestions others have offered, social solutions though they may be.
Glen T
join:2003-11-03
BC

Glen T

I appreciate that you have taken the time to respond. However, I am not getting a clear indication from any posting so far that what I am asking is either impossible, or that the posters don't know the answer.

I kind of assumed that this would be something that a network administrator in a downtown office would have run into. Scenario: admin places restrictions on company access to Internet via wireless connection and enterprising employees find ways to circumvent by logging onto unsecured wireless network of John Doe, accountant, on the next floor.

I guess I figured that there would be some registry tweak that would simply hide all non-secured networks in the XP Wireless Network Connection viewer.

As to canvassing the neighbourhood, how would you take it if a complete stranger banged on your door and asked if you had a wireless network in your home? I'd tell the guy to get lost. This is not a practical solution. However, I *could* disable both of them. Maybe that's the best solution -- caveat emptor...

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan

MVM

said by Glen T:

. . .

As to canvassing the neighbourhood, how would you take it if a complete stranger banged on your door and asked if you had a wireless network in your home? I'd tell the guy to get lost. This is not a practical solution. However, I *could* disable both of them. Maybe that's the best solution -- caveat emptor...
Personally? I wouldn't mind at all if someone were to explain the situation. In fact, I would be thankful that it was brought it to my attention that someone was sucking my bandwidth. But I do understand your point of view. I have no clue what your situation is, especially if you live in the city. I live in a more rural area and tend to think in different terms I guess.

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
MVM
join:2003-02-18
San Jose, CA

Nerdtalker to Glen T

MVM

to Glen T
said by Glen T:

However, I *could* disable both of them. Maybe that's the best solution -- caveat emptor...
There are a few wireless APs/routers that'll allow you to decrease signal power through their web-based configuration interface.

A bunch of D-Link APs will let you do it without cracked firmware, and you definitely can with any WRT54G(S) alongside some 3rd party firmware.

While I'm not encouraging or condoning the practice of logging into the administrative pages of your neighbor's AP, it might work without you having to shut it down completely.
Glen T
join:2003-11-03
BC

Glen T

One is a Dlink. The other is Linksys. At any given time I can 5 or 6 WAPs from this machine. The rest are secured.

I'm not looking to take drastic measures, here. If I was, I'd just drill some holes, string a bunch of Cat6 cable and hardwire the thing to the router...