spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rocable

@cox.net

[Satellite] Hooking up Dish 500

My father in law has Dish Network and has a single LNB dish. He bought a dish 500 from a friend and said with the dish 500 he could get more channels. Is this right?? He wants me to take down the old one and put up this dish 500. Is it that easy to just put this dish 500 up and get more channels like that? He thinks just by installing a new dish you can get extra channels for free, but i dont think so. Whats the advantage of the dish 500 versus the old one hes got??

rocable

@cox.net

Ok let me add some more to this. If i were to hook up this dish 500 does he have to have a multiswitch? My father in law and his dad are right now sharing a dish which is a single LNB dish. He wants me to hook up this dish 500, but i am not very savy on hooking up a dish. My father in law has one reciever and his dad has one reciever.

madforry

join:2001-01-22
Tempe, AZ

Your single lnb dish is looking at the 119 orbital location. The dish 500 looks at both the 119 and 110 orbital locations. For a listing of what channels are at each orbital location you can consult here:

»ekb.dbstalk.com/115

The ease of hooking up the dish 500 depends on the feedhorn at the end of the dish. Is it two seperate pieces or is it a single unit? Does it say anything on the front side like "Dish Network" or "Dish Pro"?

madforry

Tempe, AZ
reply to rocable

Forgot to add: you generally will receive more channels for free with the dish 500. Consult the echostar knowledge base link especially the america's top 60,120, and 180 links. With a dish 500 and america's top 60 you now get all the shopping channels and stuff like byu tv. Woo hoo!

Bichon
Premium,MVM
join:2002-10-10
Freehold, NJ
reply to rocable

He'll definitely get a few extra "free" educational channels, e.g., Research Channel, BYU TV, UWTV, etc. You didn't mention which package he subscribes to, but most of the channels he'll be able to recieve by switching from a Dish 300 to a Dish 500 require a subscription to Americas Top 180.

I can't answer the question about multiswitches (and/or legacy adapters) without knowing what kind of LNB is on the Dish 500, and what kind of receivers your father-in-law and his dad have.

rocable

@cox.net
reply to rocable

Thinks for all the info. So by looking at the LNB to see whether it has four ports on the LNB or just two will i guess let me know if he needs a couple of multiswithes or not?

Bichon
Premium,MVM
Freehold, NJ

He'll only need the multiswitches if the Dish 500 has two separate LNBs and a Y shaped plastic piece that holds them together. If it is a one-piece, it is either a Twin or a Quad, and you won't need a switch.

If the LNB is a "DishPro" LNB and the recievers are very old, you might need a "legacy adapter".

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA
kudos:1
reply to rocable

OMG!! anonymous poster rocable@cox.net installing DISH for a relative?!? On of the all time haters of satellite on this board who continually bashes Dish and tries convince others to switch or stay with cable, cannot convince a relative to do the same?

WOW!! I guess the stereotype of the in-laws holds true here

»Re: [DIRECTV] dish left over from previous owners

»Re: Thinking of switching from cable

»Re: FROM:Feedback@directv.com

»Re: What are you switching to this year?

»Re: [DISH] Dish causing Cox HD problem?

»Re: [DISH] Charges for Repair Service?

»Re: [DISH] Weather related problems?

(unfortunately many of rocable's posts were deleted by the mods so the above are a only a small sample)

In all seriousness though, my understanding is that DISH 500 is a relatively easy install, unlike SuperDish which requires more time and effort.

Here's an site you'll probably find useful to do the install. »ekb.dbstalk.com/34
--
Ask yourself; 'Am I better off today than I was four years ago?' The Record

rocable

@cox.net

He lives in an area that doesnt get cable service or he would have cable. I am just trying to help an inlaw out a bit. I know nothing on how to hook up a satellite.

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA

Just a friendly rib. Knowing what you know about cable installations you've got most the problems covered (connectors, cables, etc). Dish 500 shouldn't be a problem.
--
Ask yourself; 'Am I better off today than I was four years ago?' The Record

rocable

@cox.net
reply to rocable

Ok, father in law has 4 receivers and a dish 500. Inside the LNB there are 4 ports. 2 of those receivers are currently running off a dish 300. Is there a way to get a 4-way multiswitch so they can run all 4 receivers off of the dish 500?

madforry

Tempe, AZ

Can you better describe the lnb on the dish 500? Is it a single unit with four outputs? Or is it two units on the yoke? What does the lnb say on the front?

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to rocable

Also how old is his receiver???? It too must be DISH 500 capable.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

rocable

@cox.net
reply to madforry

It has two units on the yoke. If you take the plastic cover off of it, it has four outputs. They were numbered like, 1A,2A,1B,2B?

Rob850

join:2003-04-11
Mary Esther, FL
reply to rocable

what I would do is instead of using the dish 500 system get two 50" dishes with the Dish Network LNB's. The reason for the overkill is rainfade. This will reduce your chance of that.

Rob
--
»rob.luniac.com/w0kie

Bichon
Premium,MVM
Freehold, NJ

said by Rob850:

what I would do is instead of using the dish 500 system get two 50" dishes with the Dish Network LNB's. The reason for the overkill is rainfade.
Two 50" dishes? That will make him real popular with the neighbors. Not to mention his wife. Unless he's having unacceptable rain fade now, why put up an eyesore like that?

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana
reply to Hayward

said by Hayward:

Also how old is his receiver???? It too must be DISH 500 capable.
Even the old school Baker series boxes are Dish500 capable. What receiver isn't Dish500 capable?
--
FWD#64466(6PM-11PM GMT-5)
»[Sipura] Make your Sipura Speak! - GetSipura Guide
Drop me a PM if you'd like a custom Samurize plugin for your device.