I Need A Drink
MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA

superdog

MVM

About antennas and MORE power!

said by HostingShack:

i would say try a 24db antenna, that radio is nice no problems with that.. if you upgrade the antenna and still have problems the AP is overloaded during the day, there is nothing you can do accept ask your wisp to upgrade already!
That radio with the antenna that is on it has no problem doing 12 miles with LOS(Line Of Sight) depending on the sector or base antenna it is shooting at. If in fact the link is good, a higher gain or larger antenna will not help. Latency in a wireless network is determined by quite a few things, but with all due respect to HostingShack See Profile, the antenna is usually one of the last things to cause it?. Poor link quality due to obstructions and other factors(Do a Google on Fresnel Zone) seem to be a major problem, as most WISP's will not take the time to make sure the path is clear, and then the easiest remedy in their minds is to do a "Tim the tool man" approach, and just use more POWER, which is the worst thing to do.
I did a cut and paste of this for a reason, as I want everyone to understand how power and antennas work. If You are using a WISP, and they come out to Your location and try and use an amp, I would run, not walk, as this is a bad idea. the same thing applies if You buy an amp off of ebay and install it thinking it will give You better speed and latency, or a larger antenna. It just doesn't work out 99% of the time. There are reasons for every problem You have whether it is a wired or wireless connection, and doing poorly engineered cures are not good.

wild1wood
@comcast.net

wild1wood

Anon

I have used cable broadband for many years now , but there is a WISP here in my current area, They offer residential service that is 1000kbps up and down,my current broadband is Comcast and I have 384kbps up and 4000kbps down.
My question is: I am an online gamer and am wanting to know if the additional upload speed and lower download speed would balance out my game play, or will it not help me at all??

superdog
I Need A Drink
MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA

superdog

MVM

said by wild1wood:

My question is: I am an online gamer and am wanting to know if the additional upload speed and lower download speed would balance out my game play, or will it not help me at all??
The best answer I can give You is no, as good game play comes with good ping times or latency, and NOT the amount of bandwidth You have once Your connection speeds get above 128k up or down. If You are happy with Your current online experience, I wouldn't switch?:)