join:2002-05-16
Emeryville, CA

3 recommendations

morph3ous

Premium Member

Official Position: Installing Memory in Mini

This is a continuation of this thread:
»Installing memory in a Mini will void warranty

Today I was contacted by Apple's Executive Relations department. They will indeed fix my Mac Mini. The person who I spoke to on the phone did not give me an official position; however, he said that Apple definitely needs to clarify their verbiage.

Later on in the day I received an email from Mr. Frakes, a journalist at Macworld. He said that Macworld contacted Apple, and Apple confirmed what is written in this article:
»www.macworld.com/weblogs ··· ndex.php

They also told him that they will be making sure that the service channels are aware of the policy.

It was extremely frustrating speaking with Apple about this matter; however, they have done the right thing. The problem seems to have been caused by one department not speaking to another, a corporate mis-communication. I have a feeling that Apple will clarify their policy internally, and others who find themselves in my position will have an easy time having their machine repaired under warranty (as long as they did not damage their machine when installing RAM).

zarquon4
Don't Panic
join:2003-03-24
Canada

zarquon4

This really should be added to the front page to clarify the situation to all those people who read the original article, since it was all over the front page before.

Z.

morph3ous
Premium Member
Emeryville, CA

morph3ous

Premium Member

It would be good to make this known. The previous thread was based upon information that the service channel had given me (stores, the 800 number). They were adamant that the warranty was automatically voided upon opening the machine.

According to Mr. Frakes, Apple will speak with those in the service channel about the policy.

The gentleman who I spoke with in Executive Relations was unable to tell me the official policy himself; however, that is likely because he is not in a position to interpret Apple's policy himself. Mr. Frakes likely has contacts higher up in the corporate chain.
russotto
join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

russotto

said by morph3ous:

According to Mr. Frakes, Apple will speak with those in the service channel about the policy.
Perhaps the speaking is best accomplished with a liberal use of THIS, as their service channel is pissing people off AND setting Apple up for a lawsuit.

genxr
Premium Member
join:2004-08-11
Arlington, TX

genxr to morph3ous

Premium Member

to morph3ous
Glad it worked out for you Morph and thanks for posting the follow-up.

I guess the geniuses will need to be re-educated.

norm
jofallon
Premium Member
join:2002-01-05
Oak Park, IL

jofallon to morph3ous

Premium Member

to morph3ous
Thanks for clearing this up. I don't really have a problem with a manufacturer clearly stating, when you buy something, that there are no user-serviceable parts; that all upgrades have to be done etc etc.

But make it clear when you buy it that's the policy.

Now if only I was certain my Sony CRT monitor would be bright enough with the mini....

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

sporkme to morph3ous

MVM

to morph3ous
Good deal! Glad it worked out for you...

Now do you have to drop it off with the original Genius? If so, I hope you get an apology from him or the manager regarding their attitude.

SweetDelight
lagomorph
Premium Member
join:2004-09-04
Earth

SweetDelight to morph3ous

Premium Member

to morph3ous
all great things take work, then lead by example to show not to get screwed over by stupid apple geniuses.

Enjoy your newly to-be fixed mac.!

elias
Premium Member
join:2000-07-24
Miami, FL

elias to morph3ous

Premium Member

to morph3ous
Awesome! At least you got some good news this week.

-- Elias

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to morph3ous

to morph3ous
Nice going morph3ous!

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to morph3ous

Premium Member

to morph3ous
Congratulations! I'm glad to hear that things are going to work out for you in the end.

Oh yea, and would you mind doing a small favor and benching your Mini after all is said and done? I'd like to see how that thing can run UT04

morph3ous
Premium Member
Emeryville, CA

morph3ous

Premium Member

said by C0deZer0:

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear that things are going to work out for you in the end.

Oh yea, and would you mind doing a small favor and benching your Mini after all is said and done? I'd like to see how that thing can run UT04
:)
morph3ous

morph3ous

Premium Member

I think that Mr. Frakes at Macworld deserves a lot of praise for helping out in this matter. He was extremely helpful, and likely the reason that Apple Executive Relations called me in the first place.
tparker1
join:2004-09-29
Winston Salem, NC

tparker1 to C0deZer0

to C0deZer0
CodeZero:It won't Run UT2004 very well video will be choppy though to be fair the Mini was never Intended for Gaming or Advanced Software that Runs on G5 .The Little Box only cost around a Grand with the Improvements.

morph3ous
Premium Member
Emeryville, CA

1 recommendation

morph3ous

Premium Member

The mini is fixed and ready to be picked up.