All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
WoodyLI
join:2003-04-10

WoodyLI

Battlefield 2 connection problem and OOL

I've been having issues with random disconnects from the new Battlefield 2 game on various public servers including my own. Contacting EA Games tech support yeilds the following information:

Connection issues typically are caused by one or more ports being blocked by a firewall, router, or even your Internet Service Provider to help maintain security. These ports are the doorways used to send and recieve information between your computer and the server. You must configure your router/firewall to have the game's ports open in order to connect to the servers properly.

The ports for Battlefield 2 are as follows:

UDP ports:

1500-4999
TCP ports:

You may also need to have your Internet Service Provider open these ports for you. For help configuring a firewall or router you may need to refer to the manufacturer.

This is an awful lot of ports needed for a video game. OOL blocks at least two ports here including 80 and something in the 3000 range. I have no idea why a video game needs port 80 open but I'm wondering if this could be part of the problem I'm experiencing.

Anyone else play BF2 online using OOL?

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

Do you need access inbound on all those ports? Lots of ISPs block port 80, so I don't think you need port 80 inbound, unless your game might use it for others to connect to you.

If you're working at all, regardless of disconnects, my guess is that it has nothing to do with ports. If it was a port issue, you wouldn't work at all, or a specific feature would never work.

If you have a router, try pulling the router out and see what happens. But I don't think it's OOL preventing it from working.
SL83
join:2005-05-28
Oceanside, NY

SL83 to WoodyLI

to WoodyLI
Does BF2 run some kind of web stats server?
WoodyLI
join:2003-04-10

WoodyLI

Yes there is a webstats server but I don't see how that would affect clients unless the game expects clients to upload information to take the load off the server.

The fact that I can connect at all and often for long periods of time would rule out just about every connectivity issue. I'm currently running tests to isolate any random connection issues from my modem or router but it doesn't seem likely since other applications aren't losing connections.

I called tech support about optimum voice issues I've been having and the response was that they are aware of the problem and are currently working on it. The phone problems have been persistent for several days and they have been unable to provide any further information for me.

Naturally I wonder if the issues are related.

echo7
Echo7
join:2000-10-20
Bayonne, NJ

echo7

I do play bf2 and it seems like there's a lot of dropped packets from my side since we've tested it with server/network administrator and we found it was OOL's side, they are either filtering or having major network issues server is located in NYC and im in NJ ping is great 15 ms but packet loss is crazy at times as far as other games such as CSS and BF1942 no problems .
SL83
join:2005-05-28
Oceanside, NY

SL83 to WoodyLI

to WoodyLI
No, I was wondering if the game runs your OWN stats server when you play. *shrug*
JetChuka
join:2005-07-01
Garfield, NJ

JetChuka to WoodyLI

to WoodyLI
i too am getting random pauses and disconnects with BF2 and BF1942 with OOL. I've tried literally dozens of hardware and software fixes, including swapping nearly everything, except the main splitter. My wires are neat, barely split, and well exposed for me to work on. I'm handy with general computer hardware & software stuff but i'm a little green with networking.

Will def update this thread after i've tried out the new splitter, any recommendations on a specific one? Willing to purchase in-store or online, but i just don't know which ones are good (will try searching for that answer in the meantime).

G'luck to the rest of you and here's to hoping for a remedy

Btw my location is: Garfield, NJ 07026

damn
Premium Member
join:2002-10-23
nyc

damn to WoodyLI

Premium Member

to WoodyLI
I get disconnects too.

echo7
Echo7
join:2000-10-20
Bayonne, NJ

echo7

Disconnects are not always caused by ISP its server bugs as well but in most cases with packet loss its ISP on our side
if you get game crash there's a solution if you wanna know let me know I'll post it

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

Packet loss could occur anywhere and the farther away the server is, the more chance it has.

If you think you're getting packet loss, you should be able to capture it in a tracert and if not, then with a tracert to get the hops, run extended pings to hops along the way and see if you can determine where packet loss is occurring, if it really is happening.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon to WoodyLI

to WoodyLI
i have absolutly no problems (other than game bugs) playing bf2.
OOL blocks at least two ports here including 80 and something in the 3000 range.
ool doesn't block anything in 3000 range
labsrus
join:2001-08-24
Mahwah, NJ

labsrus to WoodyLI

to WoodyLI

Re: WoW issues too (similar)

I don't know about this particular game but I still have issues with WoW, random disconnects also terrible lag when first logging on (much better since i threw in an addtl 2 gigs of RAM but still a few momemnts of lag and occasional lag when no one else has it) but people on other ISPs with routers or not do not have the same issues. It's workable now in comparison to another larger issue with WoW and OOL, a PIA when its a sudden disconnect (as i said it doesnt happen to others on other ISPs throughout the US) .. I don't personally see a fix for it and don't understand why OOL is an issue with this particular game.

Will compare both OOL and FIOS when it rolls out here in the very near future(we're wired, waiting for the roll out date) then make my decision as to what I'm going to do

BugOuT
join:2002-07-18
Lodi, NJ

BugOuT to WoodyLI

to WoodyLI

Re: Battlefield 2 connection problem and OOL

The only time I experience disconnect is from the server itself. I can play a few hours @ a time with no problem.

Supposely there is a new patch on the way that would resolve a bunch of networking problems.

KamICEMAN
@rr.com

KamICEMAN

Anon

I am having the same problem.
- Connection is fine at another location
- When game laggs, in game ping is still only 90ms (ish)
- Tracert and ping to game server IP's reveal perfect connection
- formatted PC and reinstalled without the latest V1.01 patch and issue remains.
- Changed duplex mode on NIC incase of transmission issues with modem
- upload and download speeds are perfect.

Tonight I am going to try running a tracert with the game is up. I think that I have a modem health issue, possibly the Tx or Rx power levels?

KsRSisu
@telia.com

KsRSisu

Anon

i had this problem since i bought it. Now i reinstalled it due to that the patch was no good. now i get disconnected as soon as i join a server. I have a router aswell + norton firewall.

GuruGill
@optonline.net

GuruGill to WoodyLI

Anon

to WoodyLI
Ok have you all configured the ports in your routers and firewall software? Also if you have windows firewall on, turn that off as it causes major problems with online games. If you have a router then the firewall built in is sufficient enough and you dont need windows firewall. Make sure you configure the ports correctly in port forwarding in your router or third party firewall software. Follow the settings that EA provides, set each port to what it tells you, tcp or udp. Dont choose both unless it asks you to. To shed some light I have no problems here playing the game, so this may be a isolated problem or just a problem of pebcak.

To turn off Windows firewall,

1. Start Menu,
2. Settings
3. Control Panel
4. Network Connections
5. Right click on your local area connection,
6. Choose Properties
7. Click on the advanced tab
8. Click on settings
9. Then turn windows firewall off, and click ok.

If this does not work for you then it may be an isolated problem in the ool network or an unexplained mystery.

KsRSisu
@telia.com

KsRSisu

Anon

I was wondering about those ports u say we need to open.

I found this »bf2.fun-o-matic.org/inde ··· rt_Usage And that says its not even half as many as u posted?

nyskinsfan56
@66.17.x.x

nyskinsfan56 to WoodyLI

Anon

to WoodyLI
The 1.01 patch is crap...memory leaks galore. Most servers right now have gone back and reinstalled 1.0 until EA fixes it.

If you're lagging in game and your ping looks fine/nobody else on the server is having an issue you may need to update your punkbuster manually. Go to evenbalance.org and look for the pbweb.exe under the bf2 section. Follow the directions and see if it helps any.

Kevin88
@optonline.net

Kevin88 to WoodyLI

Anon

to WoodyLI
I am trying to play BF2 on OOL .. no go ... i have messed with my router so much i doesen't play BF Vietnam anymore ... but BF2 plays once out of 50 times ... and its ususally the very first time i run the game... hope this helps
rayray2030
join:2005-07-21
Rutherford, NJ

rayray2030 to WoodyLI

to WoodyLI
I have had no problems with BF2 up until the evening of July 20th. I tried to login to the account server through BF2 and found that I kept getting a "connection was refused by server" error. After about 6 hours of trying just about everything from opening up all the ports on my router to turning off windows firewall to reinstalling the game and windows (I needed to do that anyway) I still couldn't get the game to login to the account server.

However I do notice that I cannot reach www.gamespyarcade.com from my browser. I was on the phone with cablevision support on two different occasions and even swapped my motorola SB4100 with one of their new Scientific Atlanta modems but still no luck. I think there is some kind of problem localized to my area which doesn't route me properly to www.gamespyarcade.com. BTW I beleive gamespyarcade.com or a sub domain of them is what BF2 attempts to connect to when you login to the account servers.
IIguns
join:2000-09-12
Hackensack, NJ

IIguns

I here you, me too same message. " Server Refused Connection" I read on a message board that Gamespy is having problems with severs that update stats, and there trying to find the problem. This may be the reason we cant log in. I have had the game since it came out installed both patches. And since then game has crashed only a hand full of times and I never had trouble loging into server. So I am betting its on gamespys end.

Guns
rayray2030
Rutherford, NJ

rayray2030

I recommend if you have the time to call cablevision and make them aware of this issue specifically connecting to www.gamespyarcade.com since this is the most obvious proof that there is a problem. If they open up enough service tickets for the same problem I'm sure they'll try to expedite a fix. I have a hunch that it is a localized problem to our area though that has something to do with routing.
IIguns
Hackensack, NJ

IIguns

I can get gamespy.com to come up, but gamespyarcade.com is a no go The page cannot be displayed!!!

Mind if I ask you for the number Ray so I could call.

Thanks
Brother
I need to fly my black hawk

Guns
rayray2030
Rutherford, NJ

rayray2030 to WoodyLI

to WoodyLI
That has to be the connection between BF2 and gamespyarcade. Here is the number you need to call.

201-337-2100
IIguns
Hackensack, NJ

IIguns

Thanks Brother.

Guns
rayray2030
Rutherford, NJ

rayray2030 to WoodyLI

to WoodyLI
Problem solved.
IIguns
Hackensack, NJ

IIguns

I dont understand. I was able to login in a few hours ago,
But now I have same problem "Server Has Refused Connection"
Earlier I was able to browse »www.gamespyarcade.com/
But now Blank Page. I like to use AOL For Email only
I browse the web with IE. But if I try to go to gamespyarcade with AOL's built in browser I get the page???
This drives me crazy.

Guns
rayray2030
Rutherford, NJ

rayray2030 to WoodyLI

to WoodyLI
Yeah same here. I guess we have to keep hounding them to fix this permanently. This is getting annoying.
IIguns
Hackensack, NJ

IIguns

My cousin is 2 homes down the street and he has same service OOL and he has no problem loging in?
Im in a lost?

Guns
syke
join:2005-07-24

syke to WoodyLI

to WoodyLI
I verify these connection dropping problems.

I am from FINLAND, and my ISP is biggest on this area of Europe.

My connection is Ethernet 10mbit/s full-speed downlink and 1mbit/s shrinked uplink, no ports closed or blocked of any kind. I can lease 5 IP's with DHCP from ISP and i get download speeds of 1Mbs from US webservers...

OK, i have CCNA in my pocket and I know other things about network blackouts, and my linux-router (for testing, not allways in between) shows that BattleField2 account-server and game server is creating BAD PACKETS, about 1 of 1'000, which comes about every 10 seconds.

I get short 2-sec 'Connection Problem' -errors on many, many, many BF2-servers, until the 'Connection Lost' comes, after 0...20 of these short connection failures.

Yep, these problems became reality _after_ the v1.01 patch came in market. Everything was perfect before it.

Now with v1.02 I get experience of no server connections at all, even after updating my Linksys WRT54GS -firewall/router/switch (only device in my network) firmware.

Well, it seems like that BF2 non-v1.0 patched servers have network code that randomly creates failured packets again and again...

I have never, ever experienced an "Account server timeout", only servers get disconnected once in a while.

This problem doesn't exist on other games And/Or softwares.

I can keep SSH-client open for 2 weeks at my school's IRC server, which is hanging copletely other ISP's lines...