join:2004-03-20
USA

1 recommendation

mers2 to redxii

Premium Member

to redxii

Re: MS Downgrades Claria Detections

said by redxii:

I guess i'm just pointing out this broad inconsistency with human behavior. Since NYT is such an honored source:

"Ballmer, according to the person briefed on the talks, has been pushing Yusuf Mehdi, the senior vice president in charge of MSN and Microsoft's search business, to be more aggressive to try to catch up with Google, with acquisitions as one possibility. Ballmer, this person said, gave approval to begin talks with Claria two weeks ago."
If it were just competition with no unethical behavior involved I'd be all for it. You seem to be missing the point - Claria is a known malware company known for drive by downloads on unsuspecting users, collecting detailed information on individual users, forcing intrusive ads of users all while using software that degrades or damages the users computer. Google has done none of these. The disappointment and anger in this thread comes from the fact that Microsoft is apparently negotiating a deal with the very company that has caused damage to their users. Not to mention the fact that MS is touting it's anti-spyware while doing negotiations with a spyware company and lowering it's detections in th process. There is the hypocrisy. The problem with the MS bashing crowd being so vocal is that when there is a genuine problem those that have spent a lot of time defending it can't see when real problems emerge.

John2g
Qui Tacet Consentit
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
England

John2g

Premium Member

said by mers2:

Not to mention the fact that MS is touting it's anti-spyware while doing negotiations with a spyware company and lowering it's detections in the process.
Talk about non sequitors. Did you read this, posted by Eric earlier?

"Sunbelt is now reporting that the Claria detections appear to have been "downgraded" as far back as March 31."

mers2
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20
USA

mers2

Premium Member

said by John2g:
said by mers2:

Not to mention the fact that MS is touting it's anti-spyware while doing negotiations with a spyware company and lowering it's detections in the process.
Talk about non sequitors. Did you read this, posted by Eric earlier?

"Sunbelt is now reporting that the Claria detections appear to have been "downgraded" as far back as March 31."
Yes, but it is unknown how long MS has been in negotiations with Claria. Also, I've been vocal about other anti-spyware vendors lowering or removing definitions without a proven change of behavior. MS was wrong in either event.