Search similar:

uniqs

GeneStarwind
join:2001-12-13
Fairfax, VA

2 edits

GeneStarwind

[XP Pro] P2P + Blue Screen.

Not certain if this is where I should ask, but running virtually any P2P application will result in a blue screen within 20-30 minutes, sometimes less. Oddly enough, when my router doesn't function properly (frequent disconnections, limited connectivity, usually happens if I don't reset the log over a long period), I never have such problems. However, if I have proper connectivity - either by resetting the router log or directly connecting the PC to the modem, the problems return. Ironically, now that I have a properly functioning router (having recently reset the log), I'm unable to use any P2P apps (including BitTorrent) without receiving a blue screen, regardless of what I do. Once again, this only happens while I'm running any P2P application. Any ideas as to what I could do to alleviate this problem would be very highly appreciated.

Chump6
Support Bbr Rc5
Premium Member
join:2002-10-27

Chump6

Premium Member

Whats does the Blue Screen Say, the error messeage.

Have you ran the usual Virus/Spyware Scan?

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy to GeneStarwind

Mod

to GeneStarwind
Also, consider uploading a couple of minidump files from the crashes (located in the C:\Windows\minidump folder).

When did this problem start, and did it coincide with any change to your system, such as installing new hardware or software?

GeneStarwind
Fairfax, VA

GeneStarwind

Mini07020504.zip
18,396 bytes
(Mini07020504.dmp)
I recently got a new cable modem, actually. I recall this happening very occasionally in the past with my Toshiba PCX1000, but with nowhere near such regularity. I did a little research and found others have had similar problems, and it seems to pertain to faulty network drivers. However the only software provided for my modem is a driver for the USB interface (which I have no need for, as it's hooked up via ethernet), and I have the latest firmware for my router. Attached is my latest minidump file, produced from the most recent BSOD. Thank you in advance.
GeneStarwind

GeneStarwind

I currently have a Scientific-Atlanta Webstar Series 100 modem, for the record.

auggy
Mod
Brockville, ON

1 edit

auggy to GeneStarwind

Mod

to GeneStarwind
From the minidump file you received a
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M (1000007f) Stop Error generated by the vsdatant.sys.

Do you have ZoneAlarm installed? If so, what version?

Could you go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder and right-click the vsdatant.sys > Properties > Version

What is the version of that driver?

GeneStarwind
Fairfax, VA

GeneStarwind

I have ZoneAlarm 2.6, and the version of the driver is 2.6.0.88. Is this the cause of these problems, in that case?
MillieSecond6
join:2005-04-25

1 recommendation

MillieSecond6

said by GeneStarwind:

I have ZoneAlarm 2.6, and the version of the driver is 2.6.0.88. Is this the cause of these problems, in that case?
If the driver corresponds with the version number of Zone Alarm, then it's quite possible Zone Alarm is your problem. The current version of Zone Alarm is 5.5.094.000.

Upgrade to the most recent free version and see if it resolves your problem.

auggy
Mod
Brockville, ON

auggy to GeneStarwind

Mod

to GeneStarwind
Also, you appear to have a older version of ZoneAlarm installed that may be causing stability problems on your system including generating BSOD's.

What you can consider trying, is to uninstall ZoneAlarm, and then try running your P2P apps, and see if your system generates a BSOD.

Make sure you are behind a NAT firewall, or have XP's built-in firewall software enabled if you try this.

If no BSOD occurs, then consider updating ZoneAlarm, or use another third party software firewall.

GeneStarwind
Fairfax, VA

GeneStarwind

Thus far the ZA upgrade seems to have fixed it (no BSOD for 6 hours, 4 of them without the router). I don't want to jinx it in saying that this is a definite fix, but I appreciate the help in either case.