spc
Search similar:

uniqs
lagaffe
join:2004-02-05
canada

lagaffe

Considering ZyWALL 2

There'S a Linksys BEFVP41 to wich I would like to connect to through a VPN Tunnel from another router, the other router isn't bought yet, I'd like to buy a ZyWall 2 for this, do I have to worry about interoperability with the BEFVP41,

also
the NetBIOS broadcast is claimed (by linksys) to work between two BEFVP41s, but will it work between a BEFVP41 and a ZyWaLL2 ?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

I've tested VPN between ZyWall2 and BEFSX41. I have no reason to believe that it will not work with BEFVP41.

NetBIOS broadcast works on ZyWall2, however if BEFVP41 does not support it it will work one way only.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to lagaffe

Premium Member

to lagaffe
ZyWALL 2 is a stable unit with VPN in the order of 2-3Mbps. If your throughput demands will be higher then consider the ZyWALL 5 (or if you want a DMZ interface). Otherwise the Z2 is solid.

»froogle.google.com/froog ··· e=active
lagaffe
canada

lagaffe

@ Beaujolais
the BEFVP41 has an ON/OFF switch in the menu for Netbios Broadcast, but , will it work between a linksys unit and a Zyxel unit ?
are Netbios Broadcast through VPN propriatary solutions or all manufacturers implement it the same way for interoperability?

@ Anav
when u write zywall5 has DMZ interface, what do u mean?
is it that I could put one IP in the DMZ with the Z5, and I couldn't with Z2 ?

coz my el-cheapOs linksys all have DMZ for one IP address

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

said by lagaffe:

the BEFVP41 has an ON/OFF switch in the menu for Netbios Broadcast, but , will it work between a linksys unit and a Zyxel unit ?
are Netbios Broadcast through VPN propriatary solutions or all manufacturers implement it the same way for interoperability?
Should work, Netbios over VPN is a proxy and translates broadcasts for the local subnet to a broadcast for the remote subnet. Normally routing blocks broadcasts between subnets.
lagaffe
canada

lagaffe

@ Anav
how do u get theses throughput numbers (2-3 mbps)...
do u calculate them or what?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano to lagaffe

MVM

to lagaffe
said by lagaffe:

when u write zywall5 has DMZ interface, what do u mean?
is it that I could put one IP in the DMZ with the Z5, and I couldn't with Z2 ?

coz my el-cheapOs linksys all have DMZ for one IP address
LinkSys and ZyWall2 do not have DMZ. Check this for LinkSys »Linksys FAQ »What is a DMZ? and basically the same is valid for ZyWall2.

ZyWall5 has a true DMZ. It can be a network or a single host. You can create F/W rules between LAN-DMZ-WAN.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to lagaffe

Premium Member

to lagaffe
Concur with Bbarrera.

Yes lagaffe, its separate DMZ interface (not the default server on the linksys (more appropriately named). One can basically create another subnet securely separate from your private LAN via firewall rules.
lagaffe
canada

lagaffe

@ Beaujolais
does a BEFsx41 have Netbios Broadcast ?

does BEFSX41 have QoS ?

I don't have that unit so I don't know what it can/can't do...

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano

MVM

I don't have SX41 anymore, but as far as I can remember
said by lagaffe:

does a BEFsx41 have Netbios Broadcast ?
yes
said by lagaffe:

does BEFSX41 have QoS ?
no

Ask somebody on the »Linksys forum.
lagaffe
canada

lagaffe

@Anav
so how do u get thoses throughput numbers?

@beaujolais & Anav
so a Zywall5 is the hot ticket! does Z5 has F/W rules for LAN and other F/W rules for DMZ ?
too bad it's that more expensive than a ZyWall2

@ all
I think I'm gonna buy a Zywall hoping that Netbios Broadcast works between Linksys and Zywall

@ Beaujolais
yeah going to linksys forum right now

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Throughput numbers are from spec sheets and a long time ago they changed some internal components in the ZyWALL2 and it bumped up vpn thruput a bit. Its not that critical.

Yes the Z5 is quite nice, and the web gui changes get better and better. As far as firewall rules it has default rule sets for any direction and then you can individually create rules for any exceptions required.

Concur the ZyWALL 5 was supposed to be a Z2 replacement but it ended up having 10 tunnels and in effect has replaced the Z10W and a bit the Z30W. Hopefully they will kick out a low end ZyWALL a great niche the ZyWALL 2 has fulfilled quite well.
lagaffe
canada

lagaffe

Well I looked everywhere I know of , and I can't find throughput numbers of my BEFVP41...