Back to back
MVM
join:2002-06-10
Bridgeport, CT

1 edit

drake

MVM

NetStumbler not detecting wireless adapter

Okay, for some of the crowd here who browse the WiFi and WiFi security forum(s), here at BBR, you should know I'm quite a n00b to wireless networking, as I have been introduced to to the world of WiFi about two weeks ago: »A day hooking up the LAN with no wires ...

Well, everything seems all dandy for the connection, and such. I just have a tiny issue after enabling wireless security on my system. The application, NetStumbler, seems to have stopped working. Now, when I mean, "stopped working" - the application executes with no problem --- it just can't detect my wireless adapter, you know .. to scan wireless networks in range.

To troubleshoot my issue, I went back into my wireless gateway settings, under the security tab, and left my network out to the open. (Nah, I'm not scared! ). Anyway, after leaving my network open, I went to the wireless client, opened NetStumbler .. and voila! I'm able to use it again. So, I'm satisfied, and set-up security again on my network, again. FYI: I'm using WPA-PSK encryption. If it helps in diagnosing my situation any further, you can also take a look thru my WiFi security thread here: »New to WLAN and WLAN Security.

So, now I'm stumped. Hell, I don't even know where to start with searching the forums for any previous cases similar to mines. That said, I leave my thread in hopes of a solution from your guru's!

Thanks in advance!

ZOverLord
Premium Member
join:2003-10-20
Minneapolis, MN

ZOverLord

Premium Member

said by drake:

Okay, for some of the crowd here who browse the WiFi and WiFi security forum(s), here at BBR, you should know I'm quite a n00b to wireless networking, as I have been introduced to to the world of WiFi about two weeks ago: »A day hooking up the LAN with no wires ...

Well, everything seems all dandy for the connection, and such. I just have a tiny issue after enabling wireless security on my system. The application, NetStumbler, seems to have stopped working. Now, when I mean, "stopped working" - the application executes with no problem --- it just can't detect my wireless adapter, you know .. to scan wireless networks in range.

To troubleshoot my issue, I went back into my wireless gateway settings, under the security tab, and left my network out to the open. (Nah, I'm not scared! ). Anyway, after leaving my network open, I went to the wireless client, opened NetStumbler .. and voila! I'm able to use it again. So, I'm satisfied, and set-up security again on my network, again. FYI: I'm using WPA-PSK encryption. If it helps in diagnosing my situation any further, you can also take a look thru my WiFi security thread here: »New to WLAN and WLAN Security.

So, now I'm stumped. Hell, I don't even know where to start with searching the forums for any previous cases similar to mines. That said, I leave my thread in hopes of a solution from your guru's!

Thanks in advance!
NetStumbler will do that when a NIC has certian security settings this is normal, because the Nic has been set to connect one way and limits NetStumblers Ability to use it as an open Nic.

If you read Help or go to their site it explains this in more detail.

drake
Back to back
MVM
Bridgeport, CT

drake

MVM

Thanks, ZOverLord See Profile.
It seems my issue has cleared up without me doing anything.

Well, actually, I think I did ... earlier, I installed SP2 on my wireless machine (finally). It did recondigure how the dialogs came up with wireless connection status, etc. I have a feeling this may have reconfigured everything, so NetStumbler, and other wireless applications are able to make use of my wireless adapter.

Either way, it seems fine.
I'm able to detect three wireless networks; mines and two others.

ZOverLord
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN

2 edits

ZOverLord

Premium Member

said by drake:

Thanks, ZOverLord See Profile.
It seems my issue has cleared up without me doing anything.

Well, actually, I think I did ... earlier, I installed SP2 on my wireless machine (finally). It did recondigure how the dialogs came up with wireless connection status, etc. I have a feeling this may have reconfigured everything, so NetStumbler, and other wireless applications are able to make use of my wireless adapter.

Either way, it seems fine.
I'm able to detect three wireless networks; mines and two others.
Was my fault I Misread your first post. What I am saying is that you may need to reset your settings to DHCP using NetStumbler to see ALL networks in your area. This would have NOTHING to do with your adapter not being seen.

If you would like to test this, see how many networks you see using your real settings, then go and set your Wireless Nic to get everything using DHCP and you may see many more APs than you did having it set for WPA and the like.

I actually have an adapter I keep with no settings when using NetStumbler when I want to see ALL APs because my other adapters cause NetStumbler to limit what APs it sees using the others.

The NetStumbler Auto-re-config option sometimes does this automatically, but I have found not in all cases.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

said by ZOverLord:

What I am saying is that you may need to reset your settings to DHCP using NetStumbler to see ALL networks in your area. This would have NOTHING to do with your adapter not being seen.

If you would like to test this, see how many networks you see using your real settings, then go and set your Wireless Nic to get everything using DHCP and you may see many more APs than you did having it set for WPA and the like.

I actually have an adapter I keep with no settings when using NetStumbler when I want to see ALL APs because my other adapters cause NetStumbler to limit what APs it sees using the others.
It can't be DHCP that you mean, because DHCP requires TCP/IP. Either you mean something else or perhaps it's just the chipset in the card that you are using...

ZOverLord
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN

1 edit

ZOverLord

Premium Member

said by funchords:
said by ZOverLord:

What I am saying is that you may need to reset your settings to DHCP using NetStumbler to see ALL networks in your area. This would have NOTHING to do with your adapter not being seen.

It can't be DHCP that you mean, because DHCP requires TCP/IP. Either you mean something else or perhaps it's just the chipset in the card that you are using...
I guess what I mean is that sometimes having the defaults set for the card, allow NetStumbler to see all APs. I was just using DHCP as an example, since it is the standard default on cards. No SSID, No Encryption, DHCP.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

Ah, cool.

Netstumbler works in promiscuous mode (sounds dirty, huh). If you have a single adapter just for Netstumbler, you should theoretically be able to get away with having zero protocols, services, and etc. configured on the card.

ZOverLord
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN

ZOverLord

Premium Member

said by funchords:

Ah, cool.

Netstumbler works in promiscuous mode (sounds dirty, huh). If you have a single adapter just for Netstumbler, you should theoretically be able to get away with having zero protocols, services, and etc. configured on the card.
YEP

drake
Back to back
MVM
Bridgeport, CT

1 edit

drake to funchords

MVM

to funchords
said by funchords:

Netstumbler works in promiscuous mode (sounds dirty, huh).
... especially for networking.