Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LaZ3R
Premium
join:2003-01-17

1 edit

Funny stuff.

I've been there before, I know which high school this is as I went to Tuscon, Arizona last summer .

I must say that removing all textbooks and relying on teenagers not to brake every single laptop by the end of the year is a really risky move.

And if they were to brake, it would end up costing a student a hell of a lot more than if they were to just lose a book and replace it with a much lower cost.

It's cool seeing laptops brought into a school for every single student... but that is just a stupid idea unless they can maintain every single student and every single laptop without any problems.
--
Life is a game of blackjack. You keep playing until you bust.

HappyBunny9
Hi. Cram It.
Premium
join:2001-06-23
Long Beach, CA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

It would be great to see the computers used as reference material for the day's discussion. Perhaps they are talking about Native American Culture in class--so that night's assignment is to find out more information on the internet. The teacher can give questions to answer, but the kids will stumble across some really cool websites along the way. I think if its used properly, it will help ignite curiosity.

Textbooks are overrated. They are either dry or dumbed-down. Or both.

I can think of things I've gotten interested in via the internet and spent whole evenings satisfying my curiosity about some subject. I probably would not have intially spent money on books about fifties modern architecture, old roadside attractions, night photography (I later did buy a book on this) or midcentury graphic design but I've read a LOT about this stuff on the net. In turn, I've learned a lot about the middle of the last century. Why shouldnt it work the same for kids?

I am currently pursuing my Master's and I use the net *all the time* to do my research (via libraries and scholarly journals--not just random webistes). Do you know how much easier my life is because I can research from home? I have yet to set foot in the CSULB library--why bother when I can access a much wider variety of information, with full-text articles? I was an undergrad in the 80s--and I remember slogging through endless books that were not about your subject, just to find the one that is useful. Done with that!

I think this will be a great expeience for the kids, as long as common sense is followed.