I Have 8 Boobies
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
Corona, CA

4 recommendations

oliphant

Premium Member

Anyone wanting this...

...should have thought about that when they moved there.

People take many things into consideration when choosing a place to live...proximity to work and schools...freeways, shopping etc.

If broadband is that important, it should have made the list of priorities.

Incumbents aren't charities. They shouldn't be forced to lose money to service some residents.

ON THE OTHER HAND...this said, I also think these same residents/munis should have their right to deploy muni BB protected from these same incumbents who refuse to deploy and in turn sue to stop muni deployment.

Incumbents don't get it both ways. Sure...don't deploy if you don't want to...but then get the F outta the way when someone who is willing to goes and does it.
justinw76
join:2004-08-11

justinw76

I did check to make sure broadband was available when i bought my house. Verizon told me it was, my number qualified when i finished building. I placed the order, and then 3 weeks later they told me that it wasn't. They didn't tell me until I called after they missed 2 of their scheduled install/activation dates. Wouldn't tell me when it would be available either.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

1 recommendation

TechyDad to oliphant

Premium Member

to oliphant
And what about people who have been living in the town since the pre-broadband era? Should they all move out and vacate the town because Verizon has declared it "unprofitable" to serve?

Evergreener
Sent By Grocery Clerks
join:2001-02-20
Evergreen, CO

Evergreener to justinw76

to justinw76
Ouch, that same thing happened to me with Qwest once.
justinw76
join:2004-08-11

justinw76

What's even worse is that I pay $90/month for an ISDN line.

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

marigolds to oliphant

MVM

to oliphant
said by oliphant:

Except in many of these towns... people moved there well before broadband was even an option (like, oh, about the time they were born). And with the way home values have jumped, moving out requires turning into a renter.
PDXPLT
join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR

PDXPLT to justinw76

to justinw76
quote:
Incumbents aren't charities. They shouldn't be forced to lose money to service some residents.
Who says they have to lose money? Call it "rural DSL" or "small town DSL" or some such, and charge $100 a month for it. They'll get plenty of takers in areas where satellite and ISDN are the only alternatives. But they should make it available in areas where it is technically feasible for them to do so.

Broadband is no longer a luxury. Most websites now are like Korean and Japanese websites were 5 years ago: they assume the viewer has broadband, and is painstakingly slow on dialup. Windows updates are now all but impossible on dialup, and these are critical to the security of one's machine and to the 'net at large.

oliphant
I Have 8 Boobies
Premium Member
Corona, CA

oliphant to marigolds

Premium Member

to marigolds
Rather than pick and choose out of context statements...
said by oliphant:
...these same residents/munis should have their right to deploy muni BB protected from these same incumbents who refuse to deploy and in turn sue to stop muni deployment.
The latter is what happened were I live. We didn't have broadband and 2 neighbors got together and started a WISP, Unplugged Internet. Another started another Coastinet. Both continue to thrive despite recent deployment by both ATTBi in 2002 and Verizon in 2003.

Those people in such starved areas should take the initiative and lobby for muni deployment or take the initiative and start their own neighborhood service. If the problem is as what you claim then you are not alone and would have no problem getting subscribers as those in my neighborhood didn't.
oliphant

oliphant to PDXPLT

Premium Member

to PDXPLT
The issue comes to whether the PUC would permit that as they (the providers) are governed by the tariffs they have with the state which more often than not govern the price.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to PDXPLT

to PDXPLT
Your nuts! Broadband is a luxury and will be until your actual life depends on it, not to better your life but your actual life. Services like water, sewer, electricity, telephone, cable, ability to go 1 mile to a local store or gas station, and trash service are all a luxury. We just take them for granted regardless of how we may think we can't live without them.

And dont start with the.... how can I improve my life if I can't get it or I'm being handicapped (or left out of the world) because I cant get it campaigns.

An10
@dixie-net.com

1 recommendation

An10

Anon

Dare you to try it.

I dare to try that: Live without all those services for about six months. Take no showers (unless you live near a river or lake or pond), use the bathroom outside, and turn on not one light--no AC or heat either. Unhook all the phones and never turn on your TV. Oh, and the only stores you can go to have to be five miles or further away. And just dump your trash somewhere in your yard...probably near wherever you're using the bathroom would be best. See how well you do.

I picked that out 'cause its a total crock.

But while I'm here--someone explain how broadband companies are able to stop people from installing their own broadband service, and why they want to stop it. Am I missing something?
Kommie2 (banned)
join:2003-05-13
united state

Kommie2 (banned) to marigolds

to marigolds

Re: Anyone wanting this...

said by marigolds:

said by oliphant:

Except in many of these towns... people moved there well before broadband was even an option (like, oh, about the time they were born). And with the way home values have jumped, moving out requires turning into a renter.
The times they are a changing....

They are gonna have to make major changes.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to PDXPLT

to PDXPLT
quote:
Windows updates are now all but impossible on dialup, and these are critical to the security of one's machine and to the 'net at large.
3 things wrong with that statement:
1) Smart businesses ditched Windows on the 'net long ago.
2) If you really care about security you don't use Windows. You use the better alternatives (Linux, Mac)
3) If you're on Dial-up, even if your PC is a zombie bot, you're not doing much work at all to "crash the net"

oliphant
I Have 8 Boobies
Premium Member
Corona, CA

oliphant

Premium Member

Add to that, Microsoft offers updates via CD.

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos to PDXPLT

to PDXPLT
quote:
Who says they have to lose money? Call it "rural DSL" or "small town DSL" or some such, and charge $100 a month for it. They'll get plenty of takers in areas where satellite and ISDN are the only alternatives. But they should make it available in areas where it is technically feasible for them to do so.
They don't really want broadband. They want cheap broadband. If broadband were truly a necessity, they could easily have T1 line installed to their homes in a couple of weeks. They want their three megaton DSL for 30 bucks, and that won't make them happy for long.