ET TU
Its' Only Temp
Premium Member
join:2005-05-21
Belvidere, NJ

ET TU

Premium Member

Give them the choice

Go to these ISP's tell them, We are going to wire the town ourselves you said it wont make you money heres your last chance. You have 90 days to start rolling out a high speed service or the people will roll out their own.Then when these ISP's go to court to stop it get their statements "it's not profitable service area" I don't see any reason it should be stopped they had abandoned the area for service the town reclaimed the area.Tell them we gave them a chance they didn't take it now they want it.Well start rolling it out then!!! The town gives you 6 months to start rolling it out. What's the problem?

Loker
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Fargo, ND

Loker

Premium Member

you could always go to them have them sign a contract saying that they have failed to provide needed services so the community will provide them you have deemed the community unprofitable so please sign at the bottom acknowledging this and waving any right to file a lawsuit of course this contract will not be preventing you from providing services in this area but you will not be able to shut us down and keep in mind your unwillingness to serve us is what brought you competition in this area

broadbanderexpanderc to ET TU

Anon

to ET TU
The problem is the recent rash of state laws barring municipal networks from being initiated. With these laws, any ultimatum on broadband is ultimately not possible. The telcos can afford to fight the "problem" at the legislative level and therefore, don't even have to listen to ultimatums. People in rural areas need to get to their statehouse and call up legislators, not just their own, but ALL of them. Its no skin off of the back of a congressman from Worchester, MA if someone near Leverett can't get broadband internet service. Because the majority of Massachusetts is urban and because the majority of state reps are from urban areas, they will feel no sympathy for rural residents in search of broadband UNLESS you call and talk to them directly, regardless of if you have the power to deseat them. Politicians will listen if you talk to them one on one, even its simply to get you out of their hair and out of publicly ruining their campaign plans. I sure hope the McCain-Lautenberg bill passes. If this is a problem in Massachusetts, one of the most densely populated states, imagine what the problem is like for those in the Midwest. Anecdotal evidence will not pass here. You may live in a rural area and have broadband, but most in America who live there, don't. Its just like electricity 100 years ago.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Trust me Massachusetts in PARTS are densley populated, but not there...I grew up in Mass and that doesn't surprise me. My sister, who is not to far from a very decent sized city in central Mass cant even get broadband...

viperpa33s
Why Me?
Premium Member
join:2002-12-20
Bradenton, FL

1 recommendation

viperpa33s to ET TU

Premium Member

to ET TU
I don't understand how the Telco's or the cable can say it's not profitable when we all pay that money into the Universal Fund. The Universal Fund is suppose to be used for that purpose and the many other purposes. This is from the FTC site:

High-Cost. This program provides financial support to companies that provide telecommunications services in areas of America where the cost of providing service is high.

So where is all that Universal Fund tax money that we pay on our bills every month going to?

bent
and Inga
Premium Member
join:2004-10-04
Loveland, CO

bent

Premium Member

The same place all the rest of your tax money goes.

broadbanderexpanderc to ptrowski

Anon

to ptrowski
I'm from Massachusetts originally, Northampton actually, which is a neighbor of Shutesberry. It is rural, I am not saying its not there, however, most of Massachusetts is quite dense, especially compared to the rest of the country. In southern New Mexico, for example, you can drive two hundred miles from the Roswell/Carlsbad "city" area before hitting a real city. Now, if cities just outside of the largest university in the state are having trouble getting broadband because its too "rural" imagine what the vast majority of the midwest is dealing with.

broadbanderexpanderx to bent

Anon

to bent
the defense budget? Not a knock, just a fact.
PDXPLT
join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR

PDXPLT to viperpa33s

to viperpa33s
said by viperpa33s:

So where is all that Universal Fund tax money that we pay on our bills every month going to?
The USF is for telephony, not broadband (except for BB to schools).

The concept of universal broadband does not exist in the U.S.. As you even see people arguing here (who no doubt have broadband), broadband in the U.S. is supposed to be a optional, luxury, service; sorta like, say, having a neighborhood Starbucks.

zoom3148
Superman
Premium Member
join:2001-04-30
Yermo, CA

zoom3148 to bent

Premium Member

to bent
Into a Black Hole known as Verizons pocket.

ET TU
Its' Only Temp
Premium Member
join:2005-05-21
Belvidere, NJ

ET TU to PDXPLT

Premium Member

to PDXPLT
said by PDXPLT:
said by viperpa33s:

The USF is for telephony, not broadband (except for BB to schools).

The concept of universal broadband does not exist in the U.S.. As you even see people arguing here (who no doubt have broadband), broadband in the U.S. is supposed to be a optional, luxury, service; sorta like, say, having a neighborhood Starbucks.
That's what gets me the law's and standards where written years ago when tech just started. Now with the changes happening quickly they need to revamp their thinking.
My phone co told me they just have to supply 9600 baud period by law screw all else.With a policy like that and being a monopoly they think they can get away with it but their time will come someday when newer better tech is deployed. Yes sometimes the big co's need to forget about money and the inconvenience of the cost that will bring them a profit in the near future. Spend the money to make the money.The internet isn't a toy etc... the internet is a mainstream tool being used more and more each day that living without it is a hardship for small and big biz alike
as well as the student,family etc...

Wireless Major
@adelphia.net

Wireless Major to broadbanderexpanderc

Anon

to broadbanderexpanderc
I used to live in New Mexico, is the biggest "real" city there was (Albuquerque) and I know exacty what you're talking about. But, its the desert, clear skies, etc. Would be the perfect place to deploy wireless.
dick white
Premium Member
join:2000-03-24
Springfield, VA

dick white to PDXPLT

Premium Member

to PDXPLT
said by PDXPLT:

(snip...)The USF is for telephony, not broadband (except for BB to schools)(...endsnip).
uhh, maybe it was originally for telephony, but Verizon has tacked 1.37 monthly on my DSL charge for over a year now, in addition to the USF charge that has been stuck in my POTS bill for many years now...

dw
vbox81
join:2004-12-24
New York, NY

vbox81

Thats because the FCC still thinks DSL is a phone service for USF input purposes, but not output purposes. Pretty soon that'll change when they react to the Brand X decision.